A thru M flights 1 Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mIcahel

Reaction score
While building a LOC mini NUKE, it occured to me that I was
only 1 rocket, 3 motors, and a set of HW from having everything
to attempt flights on every class of motor A-M in one day.
Pretty sure someone has already done this/ My plan would use
4 rockets. 3 would be extremely challenging...

A-D Flights LOC mini - A8-3, B6-4, C6-7, AT D13

MiniNuke.JPG

D- H LIL NUKE - D12-3, E23-5, F40, G71, H128

H - K BIG NUKE - H242T, I364J, J350W, K695R

BigNuke.JPG

It's definitely doable. I believe Mark Canepa tried a couple years ago. There was a writeup about it in one of the mags. Biggest problem he had was prepping and recovering as those two take the most time. Our club did something similar last year with the alphabet ladder project. No real rules, just what you want to do but fly every class motor up to your cert level. No time limit. One member really likes the Estes Mosquito and he has several different upscales that he attempted it on. Another member did multiple motor combos to achieve it. I tried to do it to L on just two rockets. A-F on my 24mm Patriot and G-L on a 3" scratch build but I couldn't get a G339 for the G rung so it got skipped. Have fun with your project!

You could build another rocket with a 98mm motor mount and take it all the way to N.... I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

After reading your posts I started thinking to myself what it would take to pull this off in a day. :eyepop: It quickly gets to be a lot of work, especially when you start talking about prepping the same rocket 3 or 4 times. If you had enough motor hardware so that you don't have to re-use cases or closures that would help. If you had a recovery crew that would help. It's an interesting logistical problem.

I just started working on a series of upscales of my favorite rocket of all time, the Estes Starblazer X-20. I've got plans drawn up all the way through 54mm... looks like I'll have to start thinking about a 75mm and/or 98mm version as well...:D

My wife is going to be mad at you... :bangpan:

I hope you take a swing at this, and keep posting, it will be fun to see how you address some of the issues.

Very nice looking scratch built Nuke by the way.

I hadn't really considered time/prep until you and madmax brought it
up. My solutions to the problem could include:

loose interpretation of 1 day to mean 24 hr period. this way I could
park fly A-G on mostly SU motors the afternoon before day of launch.

all flights except L/M will be motor ejection single deploy. this should
reduce prep time.

I figure 75% of my time during a launch day is spent BS'ing with other
flyers and 25% is prep. If these percentages were reversed I might have a
chance, although I hate to cut into my BS'ing with other flyers time.

other suggestions appreciated

you could prep as many motore as possable the night before, and if you dont go sequentially you could set up all 4 rockets at a time.

Recovery time will be the killer, especially with the bigger motors. Main at apogee = long walk, unless it's *really* calm.

I'd suggest adding a "big fat rocket" for the bigger motors.

-Kevin

I hadn't really considered time/prep until you and madmax brought it
up. My solutions to the problem could include:

loose interpretation of 1 day to mean 24 hr period. this way I could
park fly A-G on mostly SU motors the afternoon before day of launch.

all flights except L/M will be motor ejection single deploy. this should
reduce prep time.

I figure 75% of my time during a launch day is spent BS'ing with other
flyers and 25% is prep. If these percentages were reversed I might have a
chance, although I hate to cut into my BS'ing with other flyers time.

other suggestions appreciated

I am guessing BS'ing would be right out when going for this.

Just a hunch.

-Dan

My nuclear family is complete. Would definitely use short fat rockets and a couple warp9 motors if starting project from scratch. Anyone know if there are AT H55W Su motors available anywhere?

LilNUKE.JPG

Back