A Thread for Micro Scale Models.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here ha go ScrapDaddy:
Let's make this the Thread to show off those Micro Scale models. These would be micro models of any Real Space Vehicle, Missile or Rocket that has actually Flown. For the sake of this Thread we can include Ture Scale models (those that could actually be measured) or Sport Scale models (Those that are Scale from 3 feet away). If ya like we can include Micro Super Scale or Space systems models as well...Meaning that also include a working Launcher or Launch system.

Please give us as much info on the model or system as you feel like typing. It's always nice to know what we are looking at.

My First Micro Scale was a 1: 49.7147 (10.5mm dia) Scale/Altitude model conversion of the French research sounding rocket Dauphin. T4 diameter this model also includes the scale 4" wide sprial welded banding that made up the rockets steel motor housing and fin tip spin reaction motors. It's display launcher is a scale rendition of the rockets actual launch rail but is not a working launcher. With the elimination of Apogees 10.5mm motor line the model was retro fitted for Micro Maxx flights and had a pretty good showings at several regional and a Naram.

Likewise the 1: 30.3308 Scale Nike-Smoke was also a 13mm motor retrofit to Micro powered model along with it's scale launcher. The launch is for Static display only however, I could easily make the model fly from this launcher but have neve seen a need to do so. even the tiny wooden handscrew stop on them launcher works. as does the elevation piston and outrigger legs and height adjustment leveling tubes with removable scale pins. The entire launcher was custom fabricated for Sheet styrene and Plastisturct & Evergreen styrene shapes. As was the Launcher for the Dauphin.

MM 208a1-sm_49,7147 Dauphin Da-003_08-07-97.jpg

MM 209a1-sm_30,3308  Nike-Smoke_11-04-97.jpg

Last edited:
Staying with the Scale Nike sounding rocket family.

1: 36.8715 Nike-Asp NN8-65F was one of those scale models done mostly for fun. with it's "take me to your leader" and "Rose Mary" decals is was just a fun model to work on.

The next of the Nike family proved to be a great deal more of a challange in this 1:36.8715 Scale. Nike-Tomahawk with it's detailed transition adaptor and very tiny tomahawk details it took quite awhile to complete. I've started a detailed Wallops Island scale launcher for this round but have yet to complete the structure. This particular model has flown several times and done quite well in both static and flight performance.

One of my very favorite Micro Scale models Is the 1: 124.55 Scale IM-99a Boing BOMARC This minimum diameter T2+ model was super fun to build and is a really great flying machine.

Next is a 1: 119.4853 Scale V2-#2 White Sands test round that was scaled just for the fun of flying a Micro V2.

A very good example of a sport scale or Semi-Scale micro is Pratt Hobbies version of the popular scale subject the D-Region Tomahawk. This 10.5mm model features a super light weight vacuum formed nosecone and a full precolored tranluscent adhesive backed body wrap. with a little work it can be made into a pretty good looking sport scale model. I believe it is still available from Pratt hobbies.

Plenty more to come later....it's you guys turn! :D

MM 211a3_Nike-Tomahawk 2pic(300dpi) _05-13-99.jpg

MM 225a1-sm_124,55  Bomarc_07-16-01.jpg

MM 257a1_D-RegionTomahawk_PrattHobbies_01-13-01.jpg

I need to get into some micro stuff.

I love your NIKE smokes! I wish there was more pictures of the actual rocket around.

The V2 looks great too!

I need to get into some micro stuff.

I love your NIKE smokes! I wish there was more pictures of the actual rocket around.

The V2 looks great too!

What exactly are you looking for on the smoke, it's proble one of the best documented sounding rockets around. while the photos are a little grainy there are a good number. but having the actual scale drawings is golden:)

While I was working on the Nike Smoke, I couldn't decide which scale to build it in so I did several. All have the same thin cardstock 3 piece folded fins. they are made like the real vehicle fins were made out of .125" alum plate. two outer midspan folded plates with a central spine core. If you look closely at the Nike-Asp you'll see the other fin shape a double taper. These fins are also very thin cardstock made in 4 pieces. All of my Nike family Scale models use this fin manufacturing process. I find it FAR easier to fabricate than trying to sand all these double and quad tapered, knife edge fins particularly in micro scale:)
I found the best overall combination of really great flight performance, detailing and recoverability ended up being the 1: 44.0 Scale T3 model. While the tiny T2+ 1:56 minimum diameter certainly flys the highest it was also the hardest to track and recover. and the 1:36.8715 T4 model to match the earlier scale Nike models flys great just not nearly as high.

For sake of interest tho I believe the Nike-Apache has more to offer in way of added detailing, decals and number of colors involved. it is also a T4 based model in the 1:36.8715 scale size. There are a few more in the Nike Family I want to scale just have way to many irons in the fire.

Let me know if there is something spacific your looking for about the Nike smoke or Nike family of sounding rockets. I have a pretty extensive library of data gathered.

MM 277a-sm_Nike-Smoke 56,7186_02-21-04.jpg

MM 278a-sm_Nike-Smoke 44,0_02-21-04.jpg

MM 279a-sm_Nike-Smoke 36,8715_02-21-04.jpg

Last edited:
Great Job on the JabiruMK2 Brian!
Really fantastic work in the details. That's got to be on of the most interesting looking vehicles i've seen in awhile.

I've had that same ASP Wac-Corporal kit hanging over the build bench since about 2002. I just can't seem to get around to building it. You did a fine job with it as well.

To show that not every Scale model has to be done with hundreds of hours of work or detailed to the unth degree.

here is a micro Sputnik semi-scale Odd-Roc that I like to use at Grade school flying demos along with a Bic Stick pen odd-Roc. Because even tho the thing is nothing more then a styrofoam ball and some 1/16" dowels it flying outa sight in the blink of an eye. Not really true scale but what is sometimes referred to as Stand off scale...the further you stand off the better it looks LOL!!!!!

Another fun paper wrap type semi-Scale were some that TRF's own Sandman put out a couple years back. one of the 3 pack was a little joe-II

MM 331a-sm_Sandman Little Joe-II_05-20-07.jpg

I like to use at Grade school flying demos along with a Bic Stick pen odd-Roc.

I hate it when peple steal my thunder:dark::mad::dark:

It Is An SLS (Scrapdaddy's large Scale) Retro-reproduction Some of the more modern features for this nearly outdated design include : :D

FINS!!!

SHOCK CORD!

STREAMER!!

Heres mine And it is indeed a scale model of an object military usage :D

35n96oz.jpg

Bic Was founded in 1950 and has been making reliable pens for our armed forces
for decades:D

PLEASE NOTE! Retro-repro and SLS are registered trademarks of Semroc
Used WITHOUT permission :D

Last edited:
What exactly are you looking for on the smoke, it's proble one of the best documented sounding rockets around. while the photos are a little grainy there are a good number. but having the actual scale drawings is golden:)

While I was working on the Nike Smoke, I couldn't decide which scale to build it in so I did several. All have the same thin cardstock 3 piece folded fins. they are made like the real vehicle fins were made out of .125" alum plate. two outer midspan folded plates with a central spine core. If you look closely at the Nike-Asp you'll see the other fin shape a double taper. These fins are also very thin cardstock made in 4 pieces. All of my Nike family Scale models use this fin manufacturing process. I find it FAR easier to fabricate than trying to sand all these double and quad tapered, knife edge fins particularly in micro scale:)
I found the best overall combination of really great flight performance, detailing and recoverability ended up being the 1: 44.0 Scale T3 model. While the tiny T2+ 1:56 minimum diameter certainly flys the highest it was also the hardest to track and recover. and the 1:36.8715 T4 model to match the earlier scale Nike models flys great just not nearly as high.

For sake of interest tho I believe the Nike-Apache has more to offer in way of added detailing, decals and number of colors involved. it is also a T4 based model in the 1:36.8715 scale size. There are a few more in the Nike Family I want to scale just have way to many irons in the fire.

Let me know if there is something spacific your looking for about the Nike smoke or Nike family of sounding rockets. I have a pretty extensive library of data gathered.
I've just been trying to find pictures of it in action. The only ones I have found were it laying down on the pad or at the launch angle.

UpScaler? do you have to close your eyes every time you see my signature? :D

lots of great info in the archive i just wish there was a way to merge these

ScrapDaddy:
I noticed a small problem with the construction of your Bic Pen rocket, I'm not sure if anyone has pointed it out to you. If so please forgive the spot lighting.

Looks like you have the balsa fin grain running parallel with the root edge of your fins. This is not the best grain orientation as it allows the fin to flex along the grain lines on landing and during disturbed angle of attack in flight due to crosswinds or gust resulting in snapped fin or fins. Much better to align the grain with the Leading Edge of the fins thereby greatly eliminating this tendency by anchoring the grain on an angle at the root/body joint. While not a tremendous problem on this micro pen, if you make this type alignment a habbit on larger models it could.

Hope this helps.

Sorry it was my second time cutting fins (I better fix the fins on my machbuster :y:) I thought the fin grain should parrelel to the line of flight (I think I saw it somewhere)

Sorry it was my second time cutting fins (I better fix the fins on my machbuster :y:) I thought the fin grain should parrelel to the line of flight (I think I saw it somewhere)

Nope, Unless you were looking at someones (don't do it this way example) you did not.. your Grain should absolutely NEVER parallel the line of flight (or the root edge of your wings/fins) as it is the weakest direction for all woods. Now See this is a Great example of why you should have your Handbood on your work bench;) If you had your Handbook you'd easily have caught this easy to make error ;)
Try hard to run the grain parallel with the Leading Edge of your fins..regardless of pattern or wood type...even plywood try to keep the exposed grain edge with the fin leading edge.
Let me see if I have any raw fin pics Handy I can show as examples? Here are a few that should help..note that even on the small canard forward wings on the glider body the grain always runs with the parts leading edge:)

054c-a02_#773 3- fins sanded_05-03-08.JPG

448-a01-sm_Midget 2_2stage Clone Const done_09-09-06.jpg

457b2-sm_Astra Fins Sanded round_12-01-06.jpg

463-e2-sm_Thing-a-am-jig fin unit CloseUp_03-01-07.JPG

468b07-sm_Booster canards changed_06-03-07.JPG

Last edited:
Humm! guess I should include some that are Micro fins & parts shouldn't I. Not to many Scale subjects but they are Downscales important part as the pics show the grain direction :D

MM 317b-p03_Fins and Pod Standoffs(128dpi)_07-24-06.jpg

MM 351p01-sm_MM Drifter (T3) Raw_09-11-08.JPG

Hey micromeister when are you going to give me the plans for your 1/3 scale toilet? Iv been waiting and I don't think I can hold it anymore (pun intended) and if you don't trust me with a powered model plan, I'd be more than happy to build it as a static display model :D

Hey micromeister when are you going to give me the plans for your 1/3 scale toilet? Iv been waiting and I don't think I can hold it anymore (pun intended) and if you don't trust me with a powered model plan, I'd be more than happy to build it as a static display model :D

I believe I answered that question in the proper forum section.
Back to the approprate subject...Micro Scale models.

The Scout-B is a very interesting subjust. 1:142.43875 scale T2+ minimum dia scale still holds Lots of potential detailing possiblilties even in this motor class. My model missed one of the most apparent with I flatly forgot to apply the external wireway tunnels before painting. Didn't even notice the oversight until I was about to apply decals LOL. So this model is now just a fun fly scale model... it does fly very well.
One semi interesting note the tiny triangular fins are really folded computer paper. this construction method made getting the tapered profile much easier then trying to sand it into wood.

Last edited:
Well technicly it would stil be on
topic toilets have been used by the us army for quite some time now :D

Not so! Scale model was defined in the very first post to this thread. Your pen model is not really a scale model, It's an Odd-Roc...by difination.
Lets stick to the subject or theme;)

Actually The Term Sport Scale shouldn't apply to MMX, after all can you really see a MMX at 3 feet?

There's an awful lot of noise on this thread.

Your micro scale rockets are superb, John. I haven't really gotten into that yet with Micromaxx. I have nearly all of the ASP micro kits (I still need the Corporal), and I really should get to work on building them. I did build the Micro Jayhawk, but I'll probably pick up another one and take another stab at it.

Mark K.

DSCF0606-1.jpg

DSCF0610.JPG

There's an awful lot of noise on this thread.

Your micro scale rockets are superb, John. I haven't really gotten into that yet with Micromaxx. I have nearly all of the ASP micro kits (I still need the Corporal), and I really should get to work on building them. I did build the Micro Jayhawk, but I'll probably pick up another one and take another stab at it.

Mark K.

I was going to say this one looks nice. It does and then I noticed the hole in the rear. Going by my memory of what a MMX motor looks like, it seems you took the photos with a scanning electron microscope!

Do you have any with something for scale like maybe a grain of sand or something?:jaw:

Do you have any with something for scale like maybe a grain of sand or something?:jaw:
I wish I had a Madcow Jayhawk, so that I could take a picture of both of them together. The Micro would be in the foreground, and the Madcow version would be 50 feet behind it!

Do these photos help? The Micro Jayhawk is 92mm long and the wingspan is 25mm. The wings, the winglets and the canards are all cut from sheet styrene. The launch lug is a styrene tube and the wiring tunnel on the top is also styrene. The waterslide decals were all individually cut out and applied. The decal sheet was not much bigger than a postage stamp. Recovery is via break-apart; the rocket separates in the middle and the two sections are connected by a 19" long Kevlar string. The nose cone is balsa. Each canard has a semi-span of 4mm and a length at the root of 6mm. The entire span across the canards is 17mm. I had to trace the patterns for the canards onto the styrene using a template, and then cut them out. Then I had to cut two small slits into the sides of the nose cone and glue each canard into a slit. The forward section is weighted with two pieces of pea-sized (or maybe rice-sized) split shot. I built it almost 4 years ago but I haven't flown it yet because I am afraid that I'll lose it. I know - no guts, no glory. The main color is Rustoleum Allis Chalmers Orange and the nose cone is Testor's Flat Black enamel (brushed on). After I applied the decals I gave the Jayhawk a couple of coats of Future, which made everything too glossy. At the time it was the smallest rocket that I had built, but I have since built smaller ones. This is the only Micromaxx scale rocket that I have built that is good enough to show publicly. Putting together and finishing this rocket was a character-building experience. ;)

Mark K.

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1198.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had a Madcow Jayhawk, so that I could take a picture of both of them together. The Micro would be in the foreground, and the Madcow version would be 50 feet behind it!

Do these photos help? The Micro Jayhawk is 92mm long and the wingspan is 25mm. The wings, the winglets and the canards are all cut from sheet styrene. The launch lug is a styrene tube and the wiring tunnel on the top is also styrene. The waterslide decals were all individually cut out and applied. The decal sheet was not much bigger than a postage stamp. Recovery is via break-apart; the rocket separates in the middle and the two sections are connected by a 19" long Kevlar string. The nose cone is balsa. Each canard has a semi-span of 4mm and a length at the root of 6mm. The entire span across the canards is 17mm. I had to trace the patterns for the canards onto the styrene using a template, and then cut them out. Then I had to cut two small slits into the sides of the nose cone and glue each canard into a slit. The forward section is weighted with two pieces of pea-sized (or maybe rice-sized) split shot. I built it almost 4 years ago but I haven't flown it yet because I am afraid that I'll lose it. I know - no guts, no glory. The main color is Rustoleum Allis Chalmers Orange and the nose cone is Testor's Flat Black enamel (brushed on). After I applied the decals I gave the Jayhawk a couple of coats of Future, which made everything too glossy. At the time it was the smallest rocket that I had built, but I have since built smaller ones. This is the only Micromaxx scale rocket that I have built that is good enough to show publicly. Putting together and finishing this rocket was a character-building experience. ;)

Mark K.

Its a nice looking little model. I bet it was character building...though something tells me you are quite the character without any excuses.

That's the impresson I get of mark as well, me on the other hand; my motto is "don't worry I have a good excuse" kinda like when I was working on my acctual MMX scale Congreve rocket, I got bored and played football (wow that's random) and see even here it shows I don't like to stay on task (topic :D)

Mark K.
Well you could use the madcow version to scale, or you could use the $6 starlight version... 18mm 3X larger than your little pipsqueek

Well you could use the madcow version to scale, or you could use the $6 starlight version... 18mm 3X larger than your little pipsqueek
I am sure that Mr. Bob's Starlight Jayhawk is a very nice kit indeed, but I don't think that it is actually scale.

A growing number of people on this forum are wondering when they are going to see any of your rockets, ScrapDaddy. Do you actually have any?

Mark K.

Wow you guys won't take my word for it, faIr enough I'll stay up next Saturday and take sone pics

Back