A Starlight Seieron in progress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergnome

Reaction score
GOing by my usual habit of stopping by the hobby store and grabbing a random rocket, I picked up a this little girl a couple of weeks ago..

all ready to go except the finishing. I gotta say.. Ive been enjoying the Rockets from starlight!

of course, I didn't pay that much attention when I picked her up and notice that I got a something with a 3 engine cluster!

well.. considering Ive never done that before, it should be an interesting experience! any hints and tips and what I should expect when I eventually get round to lighting it up?

as for the rest of the finish? I'm thinking of going with some patterns for a more of a more of a NASA Saturn look rather than the stock red on white as the instructions show. I also have a baggy of estes BT-50 pointy nose cones and was thinking about swapping out the stock for one of those.

a bonus in the picture.. a pile of rockets in the background as well as some of the other hobby things I mess with. :D

like I said, I've really been liking the starlight kits and the performance of the models I've built. but I DO have a complaint... the mylar recovery hardware and the included twine for it.

that F32 avenger in the background there? the chute deployed but never inflated... thankfully the rocket was light enough that the un-inflated chute acted like a streamer so it still landed pretty soft with no damage. The Firestar I have... first launch? the mylar streamer blew away at the tie down point. once again.. the model is pretty light, but the streamer was gone, and it came down fast. but, once again, no damage, I replaced the streamer with a bit of left over ripstop nylon left over from making sails and the next launch went as expected.
as for the avenger, like I said, the chute never inflated, the soft cotteny shroud lines twisted up on them selves. When I built this rocket, the one the thread i supposed to be about, I replaced the included shroud line material with nylon kite string that I use for rigging sailboats. so hopefully the results will be a little better.

unless one of you good people can tell me if Im doing something wrong based on my description?

IMG_20111108_204324.jpg

The Seieron was my first cluster. It has always been dependable, even when one motor does not ignite. It still flies safely.

The biggest advice I could offer is the buy some Quest Q2C2 igniters for the cluster. These days, I used Estes for SU and Quest exclusively for the clusters. Since I've done that, I have had 0 cluster problems.

The biggest advice I could offer is the buy some Quest Q2C2 igniters for the cluster. These days, I used Estes for SU and Quest exclusively for the clusters. Since I've done that, I have had 0 cluster problems.

Ditto to what John said!
I too use the Estes igniters for single use and save the Quest Q2G2s for special applications and clusters.
I've launched plenty of 2 engine clusters but never a three engine cluster until this last Saturday.
My Semroc (Centuri) Defender flew with three B6-6 engines.

As Brian Coyle showed me, the Q2G2 igniters are long enough and can be used without a clip whip.
You just have to be careful about how the wires are twisted together.
The Quest igniters are insulated so that problem is diminished.

Be ready, three engine clusters are FAST off the pad! The launch speed reminded me of the old B14 engines.

Nicely executed Seiron3. Maybe I was unlucky with timing of ejection charges on mine, but punched holes in mylar chute on maiden flight after using more than usual amt of wadding :bang:

If the chute isn't opening try baby powder to help lube it. Plus it aids in tracking a little.
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude

That's the thing Bob, I don't think that was the problem, The Twine that was packed in for stringing the chute was just really fuzzy. And the laundry wasn't packed any differently than I normally would. It was if the rocket body itself wasnt heavy enough to pull it down I guess, the chutes lines weren't tangled up, just twisted on them selves and the fuzziness of the lines themselves kept them bound together.

So, Ive since have used Nylon kite string since to make the parachute lines. instead of the pack in string, and haven't had a problem since.

Are y'all really closing shop? do I need to start hording? I do love the kits. the little Firestar is my favorite little rocket to send up besides my big bertha.

We closed Starlight this past summer after 10 years. You an still get some of the kits at some venders and Uncle mike may do a limited run once and a while. Sence retiering I actualy had time to work on the stack of kits and help my Dad build a Lionel train layout.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

While I always hate to see a small business close up shop, I understand, and it sounds like you are having a well deserved retirement.

The Hobby town I shop at has a mess of your kits and it looks like I'll be snatching as many of them up as I can.

Back