A sad sad loss

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartaChris

Reaction score
This might not belong in the high power thread other than many people who read in here know of Polecat Aerospace and have flown their kits. Many people have also had the chance to meet Andy Woerner, owner of Polecat.

Andy's wife Joanna just passed away. Services will be this Thursday, August 26 at Mission Hills Catholic Mortuary located in the San Fernando Valley.

I unfortunately am not going to have the privilege of meeting her, but my understanding is that she was truly an amazing woman. She wasn't just the wife of a rocketeer, but was an enthusiast as well with Level 3 certs with both TRA and NAR. From people I have heard speak of her, she was one of the nicest people ever known, so full of love for the hobby and always willing to help, no matter how new you were.

If you would like to send a message to Andy, I am sure he would love to hear from you. His e-mail address is [email protected]. His website is https://www.woerner.net/.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in the HPR section, but I wasn't sure were else to put it.

-Chris

Originally posted by SpartaChris
This might not belong in the high power thread other than many people who read in here know of Polecat Aerospace and have flown their kits. Many people have also had the chance to meet Andy Woerner, owner of Polecat.

Andy's wife Joanna just passed away. Services will be this Thursday, August 26 at Mission Hills Catholic Mortuary located in the San Fernando Valley.

I unfortunately am not going to have the privilege of meeting her, but my understanding is that she was truly an amazing woman. She wasn't just the wife of a rocketeer, but was an enthusiast as well with Level 3 certs with both TRA and NAR. From people I have heard speak of her, she was one of the nicest people ever known, so full of love for the hobby and always willing to help, no matter how new you were.

If you would like to send a message to Andy, I am sure he would love to hear from you. His e-mail address is [email protected]. His website is https://www.woerner.net/.

A great rocket flyer, kind hearted, smiling, always willing to help. A nurturing presence in a hobby that sometimes lacks that sort of thing. A huge loss to San Diego area rocketeer particularly.

I would be nice to see something honoring her in the next SR. That would be a nice personal touch; honoring a great person who loved this hobby so much :).

Originally posted by n3tjm
I would be nice to see something honoring her in the next SR. That would be a nice personal touch; honoring a great person who loved this hobby so much :).

Were I involved in Plaster Blaster (their "home" fly-in) I'd suggest arranging a formation flight.

The "missing (wo)man" formation.

Read the last paragraph in the next-to-last entry on their web site. We should all be so lucky as to have someone like him in our lives when the time comes.

I have never met Andy and Joanna in person but have had lengthy phone conversations with both awhile back when I was buying a couple of ,then, Skunkworks kits.
I very much enjoyed our conversations and do feel the empty spot that is now in our community.
The thoughts and prayers of the Laubenthal family go out to Joanna's family. May God rest and keep you.

i spent awhile over at their wesite...they had quite a nice V2 collection!

our condolences to her family

Andy and Joanna are/were great folks, always helpful and good friends to rocketeers everywhere. Joanna made everyone feel like family.

The kindness shown to me by Joanna can not be rivaled !

Joanna took the time to sit down with me shortly after I returned to the hobby and go over the plans I had drawn up for my L-1 rocket. When I found out that she had been diagnosed with ColoRectal Cancer there was nothing that I could do except to dedicate my L-1 rocket to her.

I ask Joanna for permission to reveal who I was dedicating the rocket to and why. She agreed to let me inform the world of her illness, in hope that it might lead someone to get checked.

A Hope And A Prayer is built, and I e-mailed pictures of it to her. I will fly A Hope And A Prayer on September 19 in Tucson. I had planned on flying it each day at Plaster Blaster, but will now leave that up to Andy.

The world lost a truly wonderful person, and Heaven has gained an angel. My continued thought’s and prayer’s go to the Woerner Family.

With Deepest Sympathy

I've not met either of them in person, but everything I've heard about either or both of them was positive. Sounds like they were both real class acts, kind, generous, and all around good people. Thoughts and prayers to the family and for the departed.

Say a prayer for Andy, for he is so strong in accepting the loss of someone so dear.

Per a member's request and to honor Joanna, this thread has been stickied and will remain so through Plaster Blaster.

From the PlasterBlaster Web Site :

A Special Note: Plaster Blaster 3 will be dedicated to the memory of Joanna Woerner. Joanna recently lost her battle with cancer. She is greatly missed by the members of the San Diego area rocketry community. Joanna's tireless efforts, her tremendous organizational skills and her care for others cannot be replaced.
Her Level 3 rocket will be flown Sunday morning in her honor. The rocket will be available for anyone who wishes to write a note to Joanna before the flight.

I am sure that there will be other events to honor Joanna !

I had the joy of meeting and talking with Joanna on a number of occassions, both out at club launches and at their home/shop. She truly was an amazing, loving, and caring woman. Even when she was undergoing chemo treatments and enduring all the pain that typically accompanies them, she never lost her fire or her love of life. She continued to come out to launches whenever possible, and Andy was even able to get her chemo treatments scheduled so that she could make it out to the desert launches.

She never complained about the cancer, nor did she complain about the treatment. We all knew what she was going through, but whenever we asked how she was doing, she always put an upbeat spin on it, and tried, however possible, to add a little humor to it.

Even in her weakened condition, she still invited friends to come and sit down in the shade and cool of her camper out in the desert, and she was always willing to help a fellow rocketeer with their questions, no matter how dumb they were (which in my case, were quite common).

I can only imagine the look on God's face when she tells Him in heaven that she found a perfect launch site for her rockets, and she's got a L3 ready to go. I hope we can all see it launch someday.

WW

rdbones-

Please put a note on the rocket from those of us at TRF who can't make Plaster Blaster.

I will be leaving for Plaster Blaster on Thursday, September 30, 2004. Just prior to leaving I will print this thread and send it up in the rocket, and gladly put everyone's name on the rocket itself

I will be printing this thread before I leave for Plaster Blaster.

Anyone wishing to jot a note for Joanna's L3 rocket should post it prior to 12 noon on Wednesday, September 29, 2004

First of all I wish to thank TRF for making this a sticky !

Joanna's L-3 Rocket was the first launch of the day. Andy was the LCO and called for a moment of silence. this ended with the rocket being launched. Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and no-one saying a word until the rocket landed !

It was a very touching moment that brought tears to several sets of eyes (mine included).

The way Joanna designed and built her rocket there was not a safe way to place the printout of this thread in the rocket, so I made sure everyone's name was on the rocket and then gave the print out to Andy, who said that he would read it and then put it with the Rocket which will hang in his home.

Again thank you TRF'ers, and lets all remember Joanna and continue to pray for the family.

Thank You

Back