A Sad Day in Duckville

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxREKxxx

Reaction score
My son and I ventured out onto Pleasant Lake today for the maiden voyage (think Titanic") of the Wascawy Duck. It was a balmy 10 F with a good breeze but we had plenty of room. We had plenty of good flights with the Praetor; If there is a more stable rocket out there, I've never seen it. It just goes up like a big box. In a brief lull in the wind we sent the Drake up on a D. Man, does that thing fly beatifully! You guys weren't kidding. Straight as an arrow almost out of sight. And Then!!!! Shock cord separation. The nose cone and chute will probably come down on Tuesday in Maine somewhere. Well old Ducky came down as straight and as fast as she went up and core sampled into the ice. Oh! That's gotta hurt!. There was surprisily minimal damage as the "payload" section just came down onto the body tube and just one small wrinkle well forward of the fin can. It wil fly again.
I'll post pix when I stop feeling sorry for myself.
Bob

OWEE MAN!! I feel your pain. As someone told me once. You built it, you can fix it. The flight(up to shock cord seperation) sounds like a typical Drake flight. Straight and high.......Larry

ouch, ouch, ouch!

oh man!

Well, I *will* tell you this... ...you have the distinction of having the first Drake prang ever... ...for what it's worth ;)

Pictures would be great. I can't imagine what the impact on *ice* must have been like! sheesh

Oooh ouch! There are days that we fly, and there are days that we repair......:(

Well that bites.... sorry to hear that loved the paint job on it...

Our first Spiderman rocket was a great finish.... ended up launching it after someone had bent the tip of the launch rod a bit.. didn't notice it being that bad...

Launched and it hung up on the launch rod tip at the bend... finally cleared it but took off on a rainbow trajectory and high speed deployed... Repaired now and hanging in the youngest boys room... For display only now, however 2nd one is up and in flight ready status...

Hope ya get repairs done or another built with that finish it sure looked great...

As a fellow Drake owner (Drake #7 - no less!), who spent ages on his paint job, and loves the rocket - I have an inkling of the anguish you must be going through!

- Ouch! -

I hope you get it flying, again.

A little OT, but has anyone flown a Drake on an AT F12? It's only a 7.5%F (43N) and I'm wondering if the Drake could handle it. It'd be a cool looking liftoff.

-bill

Back