A roll of duct tape, "October Sky", and a 9 year old.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketcrab

Reaction score
Last weekend my youngest son, age 9, found a full roll of duct tape. On Friday evening to be precise. Over the course of a bitterly cold, windy weekend, the kind that only Packers fans could enjoy, he set about occupying himself as best he could. I was aware only marginally of what he was doing in our unheated basement - I was working on some rocket projects at the kitchen table for that reason - and by Sunday afternoon, the duct tape was gone. In the meantime, he'd also discovered my copy of the movie "October Sky". Unlike my 19-year old son, the 9-year old, we'll call him "Timmy" [because thats what it says on his birth certificate] hasn't really caught the rocket bug from the old man. He'd rather play baseball 24X7X52. No problem. But in between trips to the basement, he'd watch the movie, and come to me asking when we could fly rockets. My fatherly chest was swelling with pride - he'd discovered Homer Hickam AND duct tape, all in one weekend! A true "right of passage".

And what, you ask, was he doing with all of that duct tape in the cold, cold basement? Why, building a baseball stadium, complete with bases, pitchers mound, home plate, hot dog stand, bleachers, bullpens, gates, press box...........all with duct tape.

I am proud beyond words. ;)

Last weekend my youngest son, age 9, found a full roll of duct tape. On Friday evening to be precise. Over the course of a bitterly cold, windy weekend, the kind that only Packers fans could enjoy, he set about occupying himself as best he could. I was aware only marginally of what he was doing in our unheated basement - I was working on some rocket projects at the kitchen table for that reason - and by Sunday afternoon, the duct tape was gone. In the meantime, he'd also discovered my copy of the movie "October Sky". Unlike my 19-year old son, the 9-year old, we'll call him "Timmy" [because thats what it says on his birth certificate] hasn't really caught the rocket bug from the old man. He'd rather play baseball 24X7X52. No problem. But in between trips to the basement, he'd watch the movie, and come to me asking when we could fly rockets. My fatherly chest was swelling with pride - he'd discovered Homer Hickam AND duct tape, all in one weekend! A true "right of passage".

And what, you ask, was he doing with all of that duct tape in the cold, cold basement? Why, building a baseball stadium, complete with bases, pitchers mound, home plate, hot dog stand, bleachers, bullpens, gates, press box...........all with duct tape.

I am proud beyond words. ;)

So put that energy and creativity towards rockets. He'll be Jim Flis' apprentice. :D

What tickles me no end about this story is multi-fold, but of the same basic premise...
  • He has strong parental support and encouragement (something that many of us lacked when we were kids in the 60's)
  • He's exploring his imagination (something that seems to be lacking a lot today)
  • He has others around him that can help him with his rocketry (and other) efforts (another thing many of us lacked as kids)
  • At some point he is going to challenge YOU and your imagination and building skills. And when he does, you will know that you have done good :)

Good to see more stories like this coming out :)

When does it change over from taking things apart to putting them together...:confused:

Wait. Packers fans and he's building a baseball stadium? Blasphemy! :D

If it were my boy, I'd expect a full replica of Lambeau Field, complete with Atrium and statues. Anything less would just simply be un-American!

(Can ya tell I'm a Packers fan too?)

That's great, Rocketcrab. :eek: Next time you ought to throw in a box of styrofoam cups with the duct tape...

When does it change over from taking things apart to putting them together...:confused:

That would be when you start buying them really expensive toys like drumsets. Then they take them apart before putting them back together, but do so at the most inconvenient times.

nice, reminds me of myself at about 9ish, taking things apart, building Morris Code telegraphs and string a receiver up the stairwells in the town house, we lived in, LEGO creations everywhere etc. wait till the duct tape sculpting becomes self propelled.

Did Timmy keep hearing voices whisper "If you build it, they will come"?:eek:

Latest posts

Back