A *REAL* LPR Challenge! What's yours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
It's been a while since I last dumped the contents of a LPR kit and actually worried about whether or not I'd be able to build the kit successfully. I recently broke out a rare EAT <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/eat_lambda_18.html">Lambda Class Shuttle</a> that was produced in limited numbers. Over the past few days I had wanted to build something challenging and certainly not of the normal rocket variety. The Lambda fit the bill. Sheesh, this has been a tough build!!! At certain points during the build I was wishing there were some die-cut stamped parts to make the process easier. Now that the bulk of the fins and airframe is constructed, I'm actually thankful for having had to fabricate the parts. It's looking like a nearly completed model!

For those of you that bought one of these and added it to your "stash", break it out and build it! This is truly a builder's kit! I don't know if the plan-pak is still offered, but if you want to try something new this is a great little kit to try your hand at.

Another kit I'd like to build is the Orbital Transport. It looks like it'll present quite a challenge.

So what kits are you looking to build that will present you a real challenge?

More pics to come as I near completion. I already can't wait to fly this baby!

Here's a better view of what I've build so far. The nosecone buildup is next.

Lotsa templates! The bulk of the kit is templates and balsa. If you are into cutting and sanding there is plenty of lumber to keep you busy!

I've had many challeging builds in the past. On the top of my list would be my USS Grissom, a 1:280 scale Saturn 1B I did (Jay Marsh used that design to take 1st in the nationals), a scratchbuilt Starship Enterprise I did once and a launch tower that flew... (it was a two stage rocket where the lower stage was effectively a launch tower itself :)

I can really get into complicated, involved builds far more than a quick build.

I agree with you 100% eugene. This was one of the most challenging kits I've ever built. I hit my share of snags that had to be worked out. I think this is a kit that it would take me two to get it right.

I really goofed up the finishishing...gory detais in my account on EMRR (below Nick's on the link you provided).

Hmmm, had anyone mentioned this kit in the 'futuristic' thread?

Eugene, Dick,

Really interesting topic.

Man, if you guys find a kit challenging, it's got to be tough.

The LPR kit I've taken out a bunch of times, dumped on the table, then scooped back up and put away is the Venus Probe. Something about all them dowels. :p

You don't think the escape tower on Sandman's LJII will be any more intimidating, do you? :D

it was a challenge, that's for sure.
mostly patience in cutting and sanding all the fins!

this was my 2nd OT build, the first being in the mid '70s. i had a lot easier time this time because of the CA glues that have made kit building a breeze!

I've been putting off building my Roachwerks mini-Saturn 1B for a while now - the whole nose cone, escape tower, masking, detailing, fuel tank shroud just seems like a nice, daunting project for wintery doldrum days. This time of year is good for building bigger stuff (good painting weather for the larger surface areas) and nice, quick rockets so you can run out and fly 'em.

I've never felt intimidated by any rocket kit.

However, I've occasionally opened an R/C airplane kit and found a box full of sticks and sheets of balsa with absolutely no pre shaped pieces, no die cutting, no laser cutting, no marks of any kind on the wood. Those are fun! :D

The old OT was the third (or fourth?) kit I built back in 1976 or '77. Somehow, I don't remember it as being all that hard, though the article on EMRR did bring back memories (it definately had lots of balsa parts). Maybe my 13-year-old mind (back then, not now :) ) was just too young and stupid to be scared.

Like Gus, I've put the Venus Probe kit away a few times.

I've gotten a bunch of kits (~25?) on eBay since being reborn (hmm about 70 days ago), though I've mostly waited for my daughters to return from vacation with their mother to do anything. (They are back now, and tomorrow we start building! :D ) Since they've not done much (a couple of E2X kits each), we'll be starting with the easier kits, but I'm hoping to have the Venus Probe and an OT re-release done by Christmas.

It is just so cool watching both of them (8 & 11) put these things together. (Of course, it sucks royally when all their hard work (even if it was just an E2X kit) core samples or comes down at the top of a 40 foot tree. :( :mad: Fortunately, they haven't gotten discouraged.)

Another challenging build (with 4 C motors, it's an E powered bird, so i guess it still qualifies as LPR) would be the Estes 1:70 scale Saturn 1B

Very complex build but nice because you can pretty much decide *how* complex you want it to be by making decisions on the amount of details to add.

good kit. I have pieces of one that I inherited a few years ago and also picked up the corrugated panels for it. ...someday... :)

My challenge is:

to use up the parts from my "designer's box"
To try and finish (paint) the newest additions to my fleet!

Well, Like Mr Flis said... I think the big old Sat 1b is at the top of my list.

Just getting the parts is proving very challenging. To simplify things, I am using the Kosdon plans. I have all parts but the BT-100, and the wraps. I am now working on the stats to have BMS burn a set of rings for me.

Fred

The kits that I have on the shelf that I am most concerned about are:
1) Roachwerks LJII - mostly because I want it to be as close to perfect as I can get. It deserves careful treatment.
2) Estes Orbital Transport
3) Estes Saturn V
4) Estes Klingon Battle Cruiser and Enterprise
5) Estes Outlander - partly completed
6) EAT Lambda Class Shuttle - now that you mention it!
7) NCR Bomarc - with 38mm motor mount and the required improvements to allow for this.

Len Bryan

Back