A Rabbi "Weighs-In" On Covid-19 . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Read. It's true that Darwin believed Africans to be more closely related to apes than human, and considered them less evolved. Hitler held that the Arian race was the master race, and sought to clear the gene pool of everyone else.

But it is also true that isolation has proven effective in preventing hospital overrun, and that the longer we can keep people from getting the virus, the more they will know about how to teat it when you do get it.

These decisions are hard, and it is easy to overreact one way or the other.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
<snip>
But it is also true that isolation has proven effective in preventing hospital overrun, and that the longer we can keep people from getting the virus, the more they will know about how to teat it when you do get it.
<snip>
OK, the isolation activities seemed to have worked as intended. The curve was flattened, we needed few (if any) of the emergency field hospitals, convention centers, airport hangars, and so on. Do you have the meeting minutes where "flattening the curve" was changed to either "until further notice" or "until we have a vaccine and a treatment protocol"? I must have missed that meeting.

Our big mistake is allowing politicians to interpret science. Let's face it if these folks were of other use, they would not be politicians.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Sitting in a crowded church is probably the most effective way of spreading this virus.
I offer up a Movie Theater, a "Rock Concert", or in a Bar / Nightclub, rather than a Church !

Marc_G

Reaction score
OK, the isolation activities seemed to have worked as intended. The curve was flattened, we needed few (if any) of the emergency field hospitals, convention centers, airport hangars, and so on. Do you have the meeting minutes where "flattening the curve" was changed to either "until further notice" or "until we have a vaccine and a treatment protocol"? I must have missed that meeting.

Our big mistake is allowing politicians to interpret science. Let's face it if these folks were of other use, they would not be politicians.
Given that most or all states are going through a loosening of the initial restrictions, I'm not sure of your point. You're in Texas, right?

"States continue to lift more restrictions on business and personal activity imposed about two months ago to combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Some of the biggest changes are in Texas, which is allowing activity in bars, child-care facilities and professional sports without spectators for the first time, as well as boost the seating capacity allowed at restaurants in almost all parts of the state. "
(Source published May 21: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...xpected-to-announce-new-rules-soon-2020-04-23 )

I'm not hearing that any state is planning to wait until vaccines and effective treatments are ready. In fact my own state, Indiana, went from stage 2 opening to stage 3 a couple days early. The opening is clearly based on hospital capacity rather than cases/deaths which have remained relatively stable here. But we understand how infections/cases/hospital ICU capacity inter-relate now, so some opening is a good thing hopefully. Also the "summer effect" should help reduce spread somewhat.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Yes but the people that go to church are more likely to be in a high risk group. Higher percentage of older people in church then at a "Rock" concert.
Granted, the lifestyles of older people are different, for the most part, as are their moral standards and religious beliefs.

However, the tightly-packed, gyrating, sweating, pot-smoking, looking to "hook-up", "Wild Child" types at Rock Concerts ( Rap ./ Hip-Hop, whatever ) will bring home whatever they have been exposed to and share it with their families ( including high-risk individuals ), at home.

In 99.9% of most Churches. none of that behavior takes place, nor is the "crowd density" anywhere close. A possible exception, as far as "crowd density" goes might be in a "Mega-Church" setting . . . Joel Osteen's church is an example . . . However, the "behavior" of the crowd is quite different !

Dave F.

James Duffy

Reaction score
However, the tightly-packed, gyrating, sweating, pot-smoking, looking to "hook-up", "Wild Child" types at Rock Concerts ( Rap ./ Hip-Hop, whatever ) will bring home whatever they have been exposed to and share it with their families ( including high-risk individuals ), at home.
Have you ever actually been to a rock concert? Like, in this century, perhaps?*

Just as a point of interest, I attended a Queensrÿche concert a few weeks before the lockdown. I ran into a bunch of folks from my church.

*Rhetorical question, no response needed.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Have you ever actually been to a rock concert? Like, in this century, perhaps?*

Just as a point of interest, I attended a Queensrÿche concert a few weeks before the lockdown. I ran into a bunch of folks from my church.

*Rhetorical question, no response needed.
James,

Were they in the "Mosh Pit", slam-dancing, azz-grabbing, and smoking pot ?

Some churches today are very accepting of certain behaviors and lifestyles, mine is not !

( You knew I would reply - LOL ! )

Dave F.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Were they in the "Mosh Pit", slam-dancing, azz-grabbing, and smoking pot ?
Not at all. They were polite, enthusiastic, happy, and well-behaved.

In 40 years of attending (and performing) over a thousand nights of live music, I have seen exactly two mosh pits. I have never seen "azz-grabbing," with the exception of a few well-liquored up 50-something insurance salesmen at private parties our band played.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Given that most or all states are going through a loosening of the initial restrictions, I'm not sure of your point. You're in Texas, right?
<snip>
I'm not hearing that any state is planning to wait until vaccines and effective treatments are ready. In fact my own state, Indiana, went from stage 2 opening to stage 3 a couple days early. The opening is clearly based on hospital capacity rather than cases/deaths which have remained relatively stable here. But we understand how infections/cases/hospital ICU capacity inter-relate now, so some opening is a good thing hopefully. Also the "summer effect" should help reduce spread somewhat.
Yup, I'm in Texas. The governor took a different approach and passed most of the control to counties as what would apply in Dallas County did not apply in a county in the panhandle.

My comment was a bit of dramatic hyperbole. What I was saying is that there is no definition of the end state. I begin to wonder if we will be asked to wear masks in public for an indefinite (possible stretching into years) time frame.

On a more serious note, science as applied here has become politicized. To me, that is going to prolong this situation forever.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Not at all. They were polite, enthusiastic, happy, and well-behaved.

In 40 years of attending (and performing) over a thousand nights of live music, I have seen exactly two mosh pits. I have never seen "azz-grabbing," with the exception of a few well-liquored up 50-something insurance salesmen at private parties our band played.
I grew up in South Florida ( Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area ) . . . Likely, a "different world" from yours.

So, they were just smoking pot, eh ? LOL !

NateB

Reaction score
I have had a similar experience, except for mosh pits. I've been to hundreds of concerts and probably over 1000 bands seen from shows in basements to stadiums. I also worked at a large amphitheater for a Summer in college.

I've seen bands of all genres, from acoustic songwriters to death metal. Hands down, the worst behaved crowd wasn't OzzFest, but was for Jimmy Buffet. Too many entitled, drunk, salesmen type men wearing coconut bras felt like it was acceptable to grope the female employees at the venue. The most drugs I saw at a show was during Santana (I know that's shocking), but that was a very mellow and enjoyable show. Even the shows that get rowdy, people tend to pick others up when they fall down. They look more chaotic to an outsider than they are. Like every subculture, there are rules and norms to follow.