A Qwick 3" Jayhawk Pictorial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

Reaction score
Here's my not quite Tulanko sized pictorial of the building of my 3" diameter Jayhawk target drone.
It stands about 41" tall and weighs something like 4 - 4 1/2 lbs fully glassed. It uses two 29mm engines.
It's maiden flight went great on 2 x F52's although the wood dowel used as a pitot tube snapped off
on landing. I've since replaced it with a fiberglass rod. It's next flight should be this Saturday on 2 x G64's.

The 2 29mm - 3" PML centering rings.

2 9" long 29mm MMT's from PML phenolic tube.

Top ring epoxied, bottom ring not.

3" PML phenolic airframe slotted.

The 2 G10 finlets cut out.

Main fins cut out with balsa trailing edge below.

The assembled fin can.

Finlets installed.

Body and fin can joined.

The wire tunnel components.

Wire tunnel installed.

Jayhawk under glass.

Barney Rubble rocket.

Sanded and spot puttied.

Primered.

Primered and puttied.

Yet more primer, yet more putty,

and on and on.

First paint.

3" PML nose cone and parts.

Assembled nose cone.

Some putty.

Some primer.

Some paint.

More paint.

Yet more paint.

HOLY BEEJEEZUS IT'S FINISHED, DECALS AND ALL!

Some glory shots unfortunatly taken with less than glorious abillity.

The bottom.

The top.

The left.

The right.

Da' buisiness END.

that's a nicely built/finished rocket!
i'd love to see some shots of it flying!

Thanks Elapid. I don't have any action shots yet but hope to get some soon. I brought a camera and tripod along that I've used before for take off shots but in the excitment of the maiden flight forgot all about them untill afterwards. Not much to see with F52's anyway, not much smoke or flame. Next time it's going up on two G64's so there should be lots of smoke n' fire. Of course I'm still stuck in 35mm film world so it will probably be month's before I can post them. If I'm lucky someone else at the launch will get some digital pics.

Originally posted by Zippy
Thanks Elapid. I don't have any action shots yet but hope to get some soon. I brought a camera and tripod along that I've used before for take off shots but in the excitment of the maiden flight forgot all about them untill afterwards. Not much to see with F52's anyway, not much smoke or flame. Next time it's going up on two G64's so there should be lots of smoke n' fire. Of course I'm still stuck in 35mm film world so it will probably be month's before I can post them. If I'm lucky someone else at the launch will get some digital pics.

Not to worry. I will have my digital camera with me at the next launch. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics.

BTW, here's a picture Pat (pdooley) took with Russell standing next to it - <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=88654">Zippy's JAYHAWK</a>.

Folks, this bird is a thing of beauty! It's a heavy one, but truly a thing of beauty.

Hey Zippy, if you ever need another 29/180 case I've got one. Maybe 2 H238's at NEFAR sometime? :D

Originally posted by eugenefl
Hey Zippy, if you ever need another 29/180 case I've got one. Maybe 2 H238's at NEFAR sometime? :D

I was thinking dual H97's would be SWEET...you could use two of my igniters...they are HOT.

Jason

Eugene, great to hear that. I think the digitals actually take better pics than my 35mm to. Maybe I need a higher film speed, all the take off shots are slightly blurred. I have seen the Pat/Russell pic before. I get a kick out of it everytime I see it. It was even funier when it was being taken but I guess you had to be there to appreciate the humor. As far as cases go I'm pretty well set for now with 2 29-240's if I want more power. :D

Jetra, we must have posted at almost the same time. H97's would probably be doable at the 597 field. I don't have any though. Those are Black Jack motors right?

you'll want to use it in manual mode, or if there isn't one, in shutter priority mode to maximize the shutter speed at the expense of aperture.
since at launch the rocket is moving along (parallel to) the film plane, depth of field really isn't important.
in manual mode, set the lens wide open (make sure to focus very carefully as this limits the depth of field, the effect is greater the closer you get) and selecting the proper shutter speed for the film.

today's color films typically have about 3 stops latitude, so you can shoot 100 speed film pushed to 400 ASA and use standard development with no problems.

i like to have some blur for a more *realistic* pic that shows the velocity of the rocket. pics of rockets frozen, hanging there just don't look quite right. the optimum would be to use a slow shutter and pan with the rocket so that the rocket is in almost-sharp focus but the background is blurred slightly...

Unfortunatly this camera is pure instamatic. No controls at all just the shutter button. I've been using 200 speed film but will probably try 400 after I use what I have up.

Zippy.....Way COOL dude

I'm secretly working on a 4" version...hush, hush...LOL

More like an Estes pro series upscale :D

A 4", nice. You could probably get the boat tail in on that size tube. I left it off mine becouse their wouldn't have been enough room for the 2-- 29's.

Should have enough room for a 54mmt. I put a 38 mmt in the one I built and there's plenty of room.

Steve

Steve, what size tube is that? Looks good in the pic. Must rock on a 38!.

Zippy, That is a 4" on a J350. Also fly's good on an I211. Could use a little more nose weight for thr J350.

Later,

Steve

Back