A question for you physics types.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust someone here can find the um ... "typo". (I'm one of those who've been paid to be much less polite).
If you mean the mistake that links orbital velocity to the earth’s rotational speed, yes. That’s wrong, although rockets are launched with the rotation and near the equator in order to start out with a horizontal velocity. Maybe that’s what he was thinking.

If you mean the mistake that links orbital velocity to the earth’s rotational speed, yes. That’s wrong, although rockets are launched with the rotation and near the equator in order to start out with a horizontal velocity. Maybe that’s what he was thinking.

Everything in the explanation was simplified for ease of understanding and using the simplest case. If you want to get into a war of pedantics I’ll go get my copy of Orbital Dynamics, and we can start by arguing about Hamiltionians and Lagranians being the more elegant way to explain orbits; but I don’t think it’s going to be helpful here.

Everything in the explanation was simplified for ease of understanding and using the simplest case. If you want to get into a war of pedantics I’ll go get my copy of Orbital Dynamics, and we can start by arguing about Hamiltionians and Lagranians being the more elegant way to explain orbits; but I don’t think it’s going to be helpful here.
Obviously I touched upon a raw nerve. I didn’t mean to.
I don’t think anyone (including me) would be interested in a war of any kind or in your reading your copy of Orbital Dynamics aloud to me. I hope you have a restful evening.

Obviously I touched upon a raw nerve. I didn’t mean to.
I don’t think anyone (including me) would be interested in a war of any kind or in your reading your copy of Orbital Dynamics aloud to me. I hope you have a restful evening.
I can't wait for the musical to come out.

Back