A plea for sanity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
This is getting a little out of hand. We've got Flis Kits new kit and then an impending partnership with Shrox, Semroc's new SLS line of classic upscales, and even those Estes guys getting into the fray with the Scissor-Wing reissue. STOP THE INSANITY!!! It's more than one cash-strapped guy can bear, and I'm not even all that hung up on a low number kit. Even with an upcoming birthday I'm going to have a tough time deciding which kit(s) to ask for. What's it going to take guys, me getting a second job?
Sincerely,
Bill Eichelberger
Truly glad to be alive in the new golden age of rocketry. (Now if I could just afford everything I want.)

Originally posted by Fishhead
STOP THE INSANITY!!!

Bill, sorry to inform you but........ THE INSANITY WON'T EVER STOP IN THIS SPORT / HOBBY

(Now if I could just afford everything I want.)

When you figure this out, please let the rest of us know how it's done
:D

Fishhead makes an interesting point. What's even more interesting is that this rash of rocket kits and companies is going to cause a lot of people that are financially strapped to be wanting these same kits 10-15 years from now when their financial situation hopefully improves. I guess future BARs are just now being born and don't even realize it! Or, people that are just now getting their Red Max and Cit. Patriots to correct the situation of their own youths will be reBar-ed again in 10-15 years!!!

All in all I love the competition. I love the amount of effort that is being put in by all companies to really make rocketeers fat and happy again with this new selection.

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

BWwaaa hhaa hhaa! NEVER I say! Never!

And the madness has only just begun, mark my words!

Why do I get an image of Fishhead in a dark alley, looking over his shoulder as he passes over a hand full of crumpled bills, shaking and twitching as a dark stranger takes the bills and passes over a plastic wrapped package, teasing him, just keeping it out of reach, as Fishhead grabs it screaming "Just give me the d*mn kit!" -- "good, good... ...gotta get glue, gotta get glue... hey, you got any glue???"

Originally posted by jflis

Why do I get an image of Fishhead in a dark alley, looking over his shoulder as he passes over a hand full of crumpled bills, shaking and twitching as a dark stranger takes the bills and passes over a plastic wrapped package, teasing him, just keeping it out of reach, as Fishhead grabs it screaming "Just give me the d*mn kit!" -- "good, good... ...gotta get glue, gotta get glue... hey, you got any glue???"

THAT is just too freakin' funny...and close to home. Lately, it seems like just about every day on my lunch hour I'm running out somewhere for supplies. Sandpaper at Lowe's. Krylon at Michael's. Primer at Pep Boys. Then, once a week or so, a suspicious package arrives at my door. A little radio control gear for the Arcie II. Tubes and a nose cone from FlisKits. A kit from here or there. I've been trying to tell my wife and kids that this is double present year since I'm officially half-baked (turning 40). Wife tells me all these suspicious packages more than account for double present year. I knew it was bad when I got home after stopping over at NARAM and had picked up a Spitfire kit from Jim. There I was, actually wondering how to sneak the thing in without wifey noticing. Then it hit me. It's OKAY for me to come home with a new kit, doggone it! It's not like I have beer on my breath or lipstick on my collar. That's right, wife. I went to NARAM and bought a KIT. And I STILL deserve double presents!!

I can picture Jim Flis with a shaved head and a pinky at the corner of his mouth talking about his evil empire. Is he Belgian by any chance? :D

Originally posted by rbeckey
I can picture Jim Flis with a shaved head and a pinky at the corner of his mouth talking about his evil empire. Is he Belgian by any chance? :D

FlisKits is Jim's front for world domination ;)

Originally posted by rbeckey

So, when do we get a rocket that looks like a Big Boy? Although, I suppose it would cost....One Miiiiilion Dollars!

That's it!

Supply and Demand (and abilities)...

Nine months ago when I first serious again about this hobby, I had 2 or 3 kits on the shelf ahead of me besides the 1 or 2 on the bench. As time went by I got better (and faster) at assembly and painting, that kept my weekly hobby budget satisfied. Well then I really had the urge to dive into more ambitious kits. So I saved my money (4 weeks worth) and placed an Internet order. Now I've got 7 or 8 kits on the shelf, so I've stepped up my assembly process. Instead of yellow glue, I've switched to CA...even though I loved the nostalgia of paste, it just didn't fulfill the need anymore. That took a day or two off the assembly time.

Instead of the Wal-mart paint (recoat with-in 4hrs or wait a week) I've started using krylon (15 min recoat) exclusively. Another few days off the assembly rotation schedule.

Now with all these new kits coming out AND I'm thinking of building my own little beast...

Yes, I've still got kits on the shelf and own the bench, but now my skills are increasing and now that I'm more ambitious, the weekly hobby budget just ain't cutting it no more...

So a 2nd Job it is... Oh yes, it would be nice if I could support my hobby from within itself but the teens in the group beat me to it with a club store... now everybody's going to buy from them, those lucky dogs...

Hey a couple of years they will be going to college, I better start planning now to make my move on thier established customers. Oh no I won't infringe, just be there when I'm needed...

P.S.
Way to go Illini, let us be MEN!

hey Illini, I figure for us chronologically endowed types, every day is Father's Day! you have a good strategy, getting supplies from all over. a trip to the hardware store looks like home maintenance supplies, not rocket supplies.

overall though I think the way to afford all these exciting kits is to convince the Ministry of Finance that the sport is a family thing, very educational, good for the kids, keeps me off the streets, etc.

Back