A pair of Atlantis, a Gartrell, and maybe a Titan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first had the rocket built and held the ring in place and marked the ring supports on the ring
I cut some tape strips and applied on the rings where the supports go.
Then while wearing gloves and holding ring by the edges, I sprayed the insides. Since the ring supports are not preset the painting is easy. And helps prevent runs.
I also put tape strips over the edges of the ring supports and pre-painted the tube and supports.

I will do a final coat of paint to cover the fillets and issues where the tape strips were not perfectly aligned and a bit of bare tube shows.
I may actually use a brush for the internal cleanup to avoid runs.

Slow day. Primed the Estes Atlantis and worked the nacelle pods for the Sirius Atlantis. The Sirius nacelles didn't come out too bad. They are just dry fit at this point.
And bought some stuff for the GT.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 79
So what is this?

IMG_3968.jpg

Since the main part of the Sirius Atlantis is painted, I wanted to pre-paint the nacelle pods

IMG_3969.jpg

Some clamps to hold and counterweight and we're off the the paint area

IMG_3972.jpg

The directions warn to do very light coats so the primer does not attack the plastic. So it took 3 light coats to cover.

IMG_3970.jpg IMG_3971.jpg IMG_3973.jpg

Now for cleanup.....

For the Gemini Titan, starting to work the motor mount

Pre-painted the motor tube ends and inside the nozzles
IMG_3974.jpg

Masked the capsule and 3 coats of black

IMG_3975.jpg IMG_3978.jpg

For the Sirius Atlantis, used some bondo to clean up the ends, and then another coat of primer

IMG_3977.jpg IMG_3976.jpg IMG_3979.jpg

Argh - pulled tape off GT capsule. Some bleeding that needs to be cleaned up

IMG_3994.jpg

sigh....

Lightly painting the Estes Atlantis doing multiple light coats

IMG_4001.jpg

GT time. And an extra day of effort

Cut a bit of extra BT80 tube into a coupler. Cut some windows to lighten the weight and glued the tube holders. I'm going to also use the 1/4" lugs to hold the removable fins. Made holes for those. They ended up a tad big so using some tape to build up the lugs.

IMG_3995.jpg IMG_3996.jpg

Painted the ends of the motor tubes and inside the nozzles. Dry fitted

IMG_3997.jpg IMG_3998.jpg

Adding a solid balsa piece to represent the various supports and tubes. Also some dowels for the start of a structure. These are CA'ed to the tube guide

IMG_3999.jpg IMG_4002.jpg

Estes Atlantis - used a brush to touch up where the spray can does not reach
IMG_4007.jpg

Sirius Atlantis - painting the nacelles

IMG_4005.jpg

Gemini Titan - Mixed up a bit of black epoxy to glue the nozzles in place
Glued motor tubes to mount, and started adding details

IMG_4004.jpg IMG_4006.jpg IMG_4008.jpg

Needed some smaller dowels, didn't have any and didn't want to wait to order some. Came up with the idea to use some toothpicks. But they are the square type.
But a bit sandpaper and a drill changed square to round.......

IMG_4010.jpg

Building up the engine structure

IMG_4013.jpg IMG_4014.jpg

Attached the bridge to the Sirius Atlantis

IMG_4015.jpg

Touched up the painting of the Estes Atlantis (no pix).

The Gartrell and and GT capsule needed paint cleanup as well. Discovered I had run out of Rustoleum 2X gloss white. Picked some up Saturday.
Did the cleanup on the Gartrell (no pix) and the capsule (that one I got a pix of)

IMG_4016.jpg

GT - Applied First Vinyl!

Just plain color on the 3D printed interstage I got from shapeways.

Using the light shining from rear to cut out the vinyl.

IMG_4039.jpg

All "done" (still need a do a bit of cleanup)

IMG_4040.jpg

Worked on the motor mount for the GT. Used epoxy for the joints of the 2 motor tubes to the stuffer tube. I wanted to make sure all edges were protected
IMG_4041.jpg

And then back to the Sirius Atlantis - Installed the bridge deck and nacelles

IMG_4044.jpg

The tape stripes were a bit over size, so time for some more paint. Before and After...

IMG_4042.jpg IMG_4045.jpg

And last for tonight....
Skinned the GT capsule. I did have some issues. Fortunately, 2 sets of capsule skins are provided allowing me to fix my issues....

IMG_4047.jpg IMG_4046.jpg

Philosophical question ---- If you plan on mucking up, and then make the mistake, did you really muck up? After all, you planned for it, right??

When I was gluing up the motor mount, the instructions tell you to use the main tubes to ensure the motor tubes will be straight.
While I tried to be careful to keep the epoxy away from the edge, well...
I was concerned that it might get stuck so I did make sure it was located in the right place. Thank goodness....

Been doing the main body skinning and started applying the decals to the Gartrell and Estes Atlantis

IMG_4059.jpg

GT - Trying to touch up the edges of the interstage I did mess things up - unplanned.
I sent a message requesting to buy a replacement just for that section - waiting for a reply.
Although with my error it has a sort of weathered look......

Here. Actually got worse overnight. I think some of the cleaner I was trying to use got behind the vinyl.

IMG_4061.jpg IMG_4060.jpg

Except for clear coat, I now declare the Gartrell complete!
I did change up the decal placement some from the face card

IMG_4063.jpg IMG_4062.jpg

>> Except for clear coat, I now declare the Gartrell complete!

Complete w launch lug!? :)

All great builds and documentation - thank you! Very inspirational!

Now I have so many questions to lookup (ie coloring epoxy) ! :)

Complete w launch lug!? :)

Yes - it has its launch lug. Just not visible in the shots I took...

IMG_4064.jpg

So now I get a copper lollipop!

IMG_4065.jpg

Wait - that's not a lollipop. It's the antenna for Sirius Atlantis

Like the antenna on the Estes Atlantis

IMG_4066.jpg

So again, except for clear coat I now declare the Estes Atlantis complete!!! (and yes, it has its launch lug on it ;))

IMG_4068.jpg IMG_4067.jpg

Still waiting for the paint to dry on the Sirius Atlantis before I can decal and for replacement skins from John at Accur8 for the GT, so things will slow down a bit.

My next major challenge? Deciding what to build next........

Last edited:
I clear coated the Gartrell and Estes Atlantis, No new pix - can't really see clear........

I put the Sirius Atlantis by a heater which helped, and started to do decals. There are lots of decals........... Figure a minimum of 2 more nights

IMG_4073.jpg

Finally installed the antenna ... and the final decal

IMG_4078.jpg IMG_4079.jpg

So the Sirius Atlantis is now done - except for the clear coat... (LOTS of decals!)

IMG_4080.jpg IMG_4081.jpg IMG_4082.jpg IMG_4083.jpg IMG_4084.jpg IMG_4085.jpg

Some shots of the base of the GT. Not really scale, but has some of the bits and looks OK from from a distance

IMG_4087.jpg IMG_4086.jpg

Skinned some tunnels and started attaching
IMG_4088.jpg IMG_4090.jpg

GT fins - Got some 0.05" thick acrylic sheet and some 1/4" round acrylic.

Cut the sheet into 2.5" x 2.5" squares. Used a combo of sanding and torch to clean up the edges.

Glued 2 together at right angle using thick CA on wax paper
IMG_4092.jpg

I had to build up the rod thickness with some tape

IMG_4093.jpg

And then used CA to glue the rod to the fins

IMG_4094.jpg

This approach added some strength to the fin joint as each fin now has 2 glue points - fin to fin and fin to rod.
If I had just glued the fin directly to the rod there would have only been one glue joint.

Here is the fin unit on the rocket

IMG_4095.jpg

GT fins - Got some 0.05" thick acrylic sheet and some 1/4" round acrylic.

Cut the sheet into 2.5" x 2.5" squares. Used a combo of sanding and torch to clean up the edges.

Glued 2 together at right angle using thick CA on wax paper
View attachment 366501

I had to build up the rod thickness with some tape

View attachment 366502

And then used CA to glue the rod to the fins

View attachment 366503

This approach added some strength to the fin joint as each fin now has 2 glue points - fin to fin and fin to rod.
If I had just glued the fin directly to the rod there would have only been one glue joint.

Here is the fin unit on the rocket

View attachment 366507

We used to bend acrylic sheet like this with a strip bar heater - that might have worked here for the 90° bend maybe?

IMG_0533.jpg

I’ve seen some instructions online on how to make your own strip heater.

We used to bend acrylic sheet like this with a strip bar heater - that might have worked here for the 90° bend maybe?

I’ve seen some instructions online on how to make your own strip heater.

True, but it is rare that I would use clear fins so I'm not sure it would have been worth the bother to build my own....

Back