A New Model in the Shop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

This weekend my son and I spent some time in the hobby shop together. He looked over the HPR Upscale Tres I was building and saw the one I bought to build and decided to go at it himself. Everything was done by him and by tonite, we had a working model which only needs some sanding, primer and paint.

Here are the pics of his handywork: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=thomastres">Thomas' Project</a>

Now for the question...can you tell me EXACTLY what this model is? No prize, just the satisfaction you were on the ball! :)

Enjoy,

Carl

Let me guess.... FlisKits TRES!!!

That is a really sharp looking rocket BTW :)

I will need to order one to build... I decided not to open #16.

Carl, I noticed in one of the pics (#16, Strake Fins clamped in place until glue is set) that your son has a device that looks like a clamp........ Is it a clamp? This is used to hold the fin while it dries right? Can you post a closer pic of this?

Oh bye the way, your son is a good rocket builder already........

Rocketmaniac...yes, those are modeling clamps...I have had them for years and you used to be able to buy them at the R/C aircraft hobby shop.

Doug...you are close...but no cigar...keep guessing what it is EXACTLY.

Carl

I will give you all a hint on what the model is...the CR and Shock Cord; look closely and they will tell...

Carl

Umm.... Thomas used scrap parts... so he is building this kit like a scratch built? He is cloning a kit you bought?

Doug...You WIN!!! That is exactly correct! This was Thomas' first totally scratch rocket, and first clone to boot! He got the fever to use up some of the parts in his box of stash and this is what he did...moreover, he actually built his before me and is now gloating about it! I told him the "painter" is gonna have to charge him more than the usual, so he quieted up fast.

We plan on finishing it for next weekend's launch, if the weather holds up.

Carl

yea, that was going to be my guess, a clone. The nose cone doesn't look quite right (looks like an Ogive instead of a cone) and I couldn't figure out why you'd cut your own ring if it were the kit...

**great** job by the way! The rocket looks so much bigger when held by a youngster too :)

Has he settled on a paint scheme yet??

hey, would this make it the first clone of a FlisKits kit??

I think it would! :) he goes down in the history books!

Tnx Doug...

Jim... yup...first clone so I guess he did...dang! The only problem is I opened my stock real FlisKit Tres I am building and pulled out the CR to use to measure...and now I can't find it! Man, too much going on in the workshop this weekend...jeez. BTW, the Nosecone was one we bought a few months back from BMS as a replacement for the Estes BT55, plastic ogive that is near conical. We were going to build another scratch IQSY Tomahawk to replace the one we lost at NARAM this last year, but he found a much better use for it I think. ;)

As far as paint goes, we are going stock all the way. My FlisKits Tres, his clone Tres and my Upscale Tres will all be painted in the cover art colors...Charcoal Gray and Yellow. They look so cool and have great contrast. Thomas DID note to me though that the number was black, so we have to do that in black for sure.

Once again, good guesses guys...

Carl

Oh yea, and Jim...you are right, it is an awesome big model! That adds more "WAY COOL" factor for him! ;)

Carl

well, he sure does look like a happy camper! :)

Are you guys going to NARCON? WOuld love to see these thing!

Back