A new clone finished!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Well, I have been painting like crazy, trying to work through my backlog of rockets that I built this winter. It was just too darned cold to paint most of these!!

Anyway, I have finally finished a clone that I am very happy with:

The Starfighter Scorpion, and old Canaroc design. It was sold for one year only: 1980. Boy, it is not too Star Wars influenced, is it???

The build was pretty straightforward, yet was a solid 'old school' skill level three. As the cockpit was originally a plastic injection molded cone with a cockpit, I had to make the cockpit. In examining an original cone that I have, it became obvious that the original designer had simply sanded a cockpit into the original nose cone used for the Canaroc 'Challenger'. So, I did this as well.

The decals really make this model. It just 'pops out' at you!!

The only thing that I am not happy with in regards to this model is that it took noseweight to balance out for stability. I hate adding noseweight.

Well, enough of my mumbling. Here is the pic:

Very nice indeed!

Plans from JimZ or did you have them already?

Astron,

Very well done clone bro! It almost has a cross-breed look between an OT an Praetor...very cool indeed.

Carl

The rocket looks great... but that R2 unit of yours looks pretty beat up...

The plans for this rocket are available at Ye Olde Rocket Plans :

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/

This site is a great suppliment to Jim Z's site

Here is the direct link to the Scorpion:

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/canaroc/can54016/can54016.htm

And the Canaroc to ESTES/BMS parts conversion sheet I made for the site:

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/pubs/Canaroc/Parts_conversions_for_Cloning.pdf

I have the decals available on Excelsior Rocketry, and also have nosecones if anyone needs them. Just email me through the Excelsior email.

https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/

Fred

Really nicely done, Astronboy.

Maybe it's because it's the era I started flying rockets in, but there's a certain funky sci-fi feel to a lot of the late '70s - early '80s kits that I just love. This ship really captures some of that.

I used to bullseye womprats in beggars canyon in my encom T-65 X-wing starfighter

Very nice job!

I'm a bit of a Canaroc person. I bought a Canaroc starter set back in about 1993 when I began the first BAR phase. I still carry it in my range box. I'll want to build that rocket at some point. I hope I can do it justice, like you did.

Len Bryan
CAR S620 L3

Really impressive. You were right, the decals really accent the form. Beautiful job.

Outstanding Job! A real prizeworthy clone.

How did you check the stability to know you needed to add nose weight? Do you have a RockSim file that you could post?

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

The nose weight was added based on a note in the instructions emphasizing exactly where the rocket must balance. I also have corresponded with a former Canaroc person who stated that the picture in the catalog is of an unstable prototype with a noticably shorter main body tube.

I am still a bit skeptical of the flight-worthiness of the design, but have not yet flight tested it.

Care to take a shot at this in Rocsim Bruce?

WOW!!

That's a great looking rocket! Now I have another one to add to my list of rockets I'll probably never around to building.

Lamar

An asymmetric design with two wings, two rudders, a ring tail with six pylons, two tube fins, four side pods, an angle cut launch lug, and a nose cone with a cockpit! Sounds like a real challenge! It might take me a while if my printer ever finishes printing the file.

I don't see any body wraps on your clone, are there any plans for these? You could make the raised portions from cardstock and glue them on.

Yup, I knew that this would be beyond my humble capabilities with rocsim...

No, I did not copy the vacuform wraps even though I have an original unbuilt kit of this rocket. I honestly think that the wraps are clumsy looking, so I did not even bother.

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
An asymmetric design with two wings, two rudders, a ring tail with six pylons, two tube fins, four side pods, an angle cut launch lug, and a nose cone with a cockpit!

I really like those "busy" designs with all those pods and antennae and stuff. (I plan to build a Mars Snooper clone soon). Have to add this one to my build list, too.

Really, Really nice job.

S..

Originally posted by astronboy
Yup, I knew that this would be beyond my humble capabilities with rocsim...

No, I did not copy the vacuform wraps even though I have an original unbuilt kit of this rocket. I honestly think that the wraps are clumsy looking, so I did not even bother.

How did you ever get this rocket cloned with page 4 of the instructions (contains figures 9 through 12) missing from the YORS web site! Do you have page 4? Can you post it here?

Makes the RockSim simulation even more challenging!

To finish off the RockSim version 7 simulation of this model I need the length of the nose cone and launch lug as well as the angles the wing and rudder fins make with the body tube. So far CP is 12.418 inches from the tip of the nose cone and CG is 10.464 from the tip, giving a static margin of 2 with 0.5 ounces of nose weight and a C6-3 motor installed.

I will add more details (laser cannons, etc.) when I get the rest of the dimmensions.

Attached is what I have so far,

Phred,

I'm working on a Sunward Galactic Wave right now, but I want to make it look like a Canaroc Scorpion. Can you post a couple more pictures showing where all the stripes and smaller details go?

Thanks,
EV

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
I used to bullseye womprats in beggars canyon in my encom T-65 X-wing starfighter

WOW! You need to call the Critter Getter. That's a serious pest control problem.

Here's some shots of the progress I've made so far with making my Galactic Wave look like a Canaroc Scorpion....

Pic 1: Overall 3/4 shot. You can see here how I tilted the wings at 30 deg from horizontal
like the Scorp.

Pic 2: Close up. The inside of the side tubes and lasers are painted in Gunmetal.

Back