A NASA astronaut launched a model rocket on eve of his own historic SpaceX launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cool is that!!!!
My best friend owns a plane, yet he would rather play with R/C stuff!

We are just big kids at heart :)

Last edited:

From the article "According to Estes, the Amazon model rocket stands about 30 inches (76 centimeters) tall and can reach heights of up to 650 feet (200 meters). For comparison, SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket booster stands 229.6 feet (70 m) tall and can soar more than 150 miles (240 kilometers) above the Earth — more than 1,000 times higher than Behnken's toy rocket. "

Actually, he can't be launching...the wire is off to the left and he's taking a selfie. ;)

Besides, everyone knows you should keep an eye on your rocket as it launches! Right? :D

Still, this is AWESOME, so thanks for sharing!

That is awesome!!!

It does look like the 'Amazon rocket' kit

I have some big respect for those guys. Had the launch on live all day, but will try again on Saturday.

I wanted to be an Astronaut when I grew up, as most kids my age.
I was too short, and I couldn't read very well.
I was past forty when someone finally realized I was dyslexic, and the cause of my reading problems.
Now the reading problem is solved, I'm too old, poor health and they would have to add another solid fuel booster to get me off the ground. Which makes me too expensive to launch.
I will just have to wait until my life force can freely explore the outer reaches of space...

Back