A more recent Which-airbrush/compressor-to-get? thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did do some looking/searching around read several threads, but in the case of the most useful (I suppose) thread, it's been the better part of four years since thread start. Now I don't know how much models or specs have changed in that time, but I really only have two goals for this set up, cerakote for firearms/parts and usual paints for rc/rockets/arts/crafts. Heres where my research has led me...

Brush - https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/trn2-trigger-neo-airbrush-siphon.html?list=Effortless Coverage

Kompressor - https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/power-jet-plus-tubular.html

I'm using the iwata site to be sure I'm listing everything properly, I will buy from the lowest bidder I'm comfy with unless there is a supporting vendor. I chose Iwata due to reputation and recommendation, but I'm open to hearing any "XYZ is 'better' for about the same price because....." arguments.

I tried to not make this a respot, hopefully it's not. All input is appreciated.

I did do some looking/searching around read several threads, but in the case of the most useful (I suppose) thread, it's been the better part of four years since thread start. Now I don't know how much models or specs have changed in that time, but I really only have two goals for this set up, cerakote for firearms/parts and usual paints for rc/rockets/arts/crafts. Heres where my research has led me...

Brush - https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/trn2-trigger-neo-airbrush-siphon.html?list=Effortless Coverage

Kompressor - https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/power-jet-plus-tubular.html

I'm using the iwata site to be sure I'm listing everything properly, I will buy from the lowest bidder I'm comfy with unless there is a supporting vendor. I chose Iwata due to reputation and recommendation,
Iwata has a great reputation and I've owned several high-end models from Iwata. Since price is not an issue, I'd order that stuff tomorrowđź‘Ś

This may be a perfectly capable airbrush, but one ugly reality about these little beasties is that you will need spare parts at some point in the future, usually replacement needles. The traditional brands such as Paasche, Iwata, Badger, and a handful of others all have great aftermarket support. Low cost brands such as Master or the stuff sold at Harbor Freight seem to have spotty or non-existent parts support. (A quick check of Amazon indicates that Master does seem to have some limited parts availability, which is good.)

On the other hand the initial price is low enough that one can consider the brush to be disposable. Should the need for new needles, tips, triggers, etc. arise, one can simply replace the entire unit.

I'll make another pitch for the single-action Paasche SI as a great entry level brush that has the potential to last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-SI-SET-Single-Internal-Airbrush/dp/B003AA2N48

I figure James Duffy is the guru of scale rocketry, so what he says is probably more than good enough for me. ToucheAirbrush orders were drop-shipped direct from Paasche. The only thing I goofed up on is ordering the airbrush and then figuring out what accessories I needed. Would have saved $9 or so if I'd ordered everything the first time around. Nowhere else I found touches them for Paasche pricing.

IMO the aircompressor isn't whats important as long as it has enough capacity to provide air, the regulators and the airbrush are whats really important.

And a water trap.
...and two turntables and a microphone!

Seriously, the gear you posted above is top-shelf stuff. The only additional advice I would provide would be to really, really question if you need or want a double-action brush.

Unless you're doing fine art, intricate Luftwaffe camo patterns, or have plans to set up a t-shirt shop at the beach, a single-action brush is fine. A single-action brush also has the advantage of having a MUCH shallower learning curve. Double-action brushes are twitchy little boogers, and a shaky finger can deposit a whole bunch of paint on your model very quickly and inelegantly!

Iwata stuff is great. If that's the brand you want, consider one of their single-action offerings: https://www.dickblick.com/products/iwata-revolution-series-single-action-airbrush/

James

i apprecite all ze input so far, im still doing research, some of which is on paasche products, which i am less familiar with. The primary reason for the trn2 choice is the pistol grip and trigger activation, after quite a few hand injuries it can tough or quickly fatiguing to use my right index in the "normal" airbrush button/trigger position, thus a more traditional hvlp type of position allows better precision movement and from the several videos ive seen, i think i might/will prefer how the trn2 does it as opposed to the all or nothing (sort of) of a traditional unit. I DEFINITELY couldnt do a 2 stage witn tbe button on top. If anyone has anything to add, lemme have it, but like i said, still doing research.

if you have any type of hand coordination or weak strength issues then the pistol grip/squeeze trigger model is much easier to operate

Last edited:
well, i made a choice of compressor, still deciding on brush, but still leaning towwrds the trn2. one of my brothers has an older paasche, he doesnt know which model, but similar to the one linked above, i just cant do that syle of brush, because of my 8ndex finger i have to kind of paint sideways, hard to explain, while i think i could prooooobably get used to it, whatever i get will be from a vendor that i can return it to after purchase in case i pick it up and its worse or the same, at which point ill kind of be back to square one. i have a wonderful mini gun, but it aint no airbrush. anyhow, the ppl i got the compressor from had a promo going, i have one of these now...
20230208_161523.jpg

20230208_161512.jpg

i shant open it as i already know a single action in this form is tough, this would be impossible. it would be nice to offset the cost of the air squeezer. since im new to this, maybe someone can tell me if im out of my mind, i figured, nib, 65 delivered in the us, 85 for the nooks, eh? thought id ask before i list it, a great way as a n00b to alienate everyone is make insane for-sale posts.... anyone who's been on hondatech gets it.

thank you again to everyone who pitched in!

Back