A Montana BAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomd

Reaction score
I'm Tom, a recent BAR from Bozeman, MT.

I first built a rocket (it is a red and white Alpha III) in the later years of elementary school (8-9 years old?) and participated in Rocketry in 4-H for a couple years. After that I fell out of the hobby with other aspects of life taking priority. Last year (roughly 25 years later) on a whim I found a couple rockets and launch stuff from Estes on clearance and bought them. Then I found most of my old rockets at my parents house in boxes (my Mean Machine hadn't fared well but most others are still in good shape), I eventually assembled and launched the new ones and forgot how much I enjoyed it! As such, I've been continuing to buy, build, and launch kits and launch some older rockets I built but never got around to launching. Now I'm starting to clone old kits/look at scratch building/scaling models. I look forward to moving from the basic LPR stuff into a bit more MPR and am interested in pursuing a Level 1 cert in the future.

I'm a very hands on person, and enjoy building/fixing things such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, electronics, woodworking, firearms, improving my CAD skills and 3D printing. (Probably more i've forgotten as well...)
I also really enjoy the outdoors, whether it be camping, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, dual sport motorcycle riding, or just generally going on adventures.

I've studied many things, went to school and finished some of them, but am a machinist by trade. I currently am doing more general manufacturing work for a local high tech company.

I am not part of any groups/clubs yet but looks like there's a fairly local one I hope to check out in the near future.

I'm Tom, a recent BAR from Bozeman, MT.

I first built a rocket (it is a red and white Alpha III) in the later years of elementary school (8-9 years old?) and participated in Rocketry in 4-H for a couple years. After that I fell out of the hobby with other aspects of life taking priority. Last year (roughly 25 years later) on a whim I found a couple rockets and launch stuff from Estes on clearance and bought them. Then I found most of my old rockets at my parents house in boxes (my Mean Machine hadn't fared well but most others are still in good shape), I eventually assembled and launched the new ones and forgot how much I enjoyed it! As such, I've been continuing to buy, build, and launch kits and launch some older rockets I built but never got around to launching. Now I'm starting to clone old kits/look at scratch building/scaling models. I look forward to moving from the basic LPR stuff into a bit more MPR and am interested in pursuing a Level 1 cert in the future.

I'm a very hands on person, and enjoy building/fixing things such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, electronics, woodworking, firearms, improving my CAD skills and 3D printing. (Probably more i've forgotten as well...)
I also really enjoy the outdoors, whether it be camping, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, dual sport motorcycle riding, or just generally going on adventures.

I've studied many things, went to school and finished some of them, but am a machinist by trade. I currently am doing more general manufacturing work for a local high tech company.

I am not part of any groups/clubs yet but looks like there's a fairly local one I hope to check out in the near future.
Welcome to TFR, Tom. I’m also in Montana and the Secretary/Treasurer of Tripoli Montana. We try to launch monthly from March to November, weather and fire restrictions permitting. Our launches are typically very small and low key, but we have a great waiver. I hope to see you at our November 13 launch.

Welcome Tom, you are in great company here. My first rocket was also the Alpha - 1967. Still have the nose cone from it. Best of luck and enjoy.

Welcome! And watch out for Davy Crockett -- killed him a BAR when he was only three!

Welcome to TFR, Tom. I’m also in Montana and the Secretary/Treasurer of Tripoli Montana. We try to launch monthly from March to November, weather and fire restrictions permitting. Our launches are typically very small and low key, but we have a great waiver. I hope to see you at our November 13 launch.

Thanks Steve! I am hoping to make it out for the November launch!

Welcome, Tom!

Of course, you know we need pics. Especially the old stuff!
Its pretty much all Estes stuff and nothing terribly crazy but for the older stuff, on the left there's a Mongoose (it took a hard landing a couple months ago...) Corkscrew, MK109 Stingray, my first Alpha III, Mini Cobra, Sparrow, Yankee, Reliant, Fat Boy, Meanie, 2 Mosquitos (painted one has been flown and was recovered!), Quark, and a Rediroc Raider.
PXL_20211026_231326028.jpg
My newer stuff is unfinished but includes a newer Alpha III, Goblin BT-20 downscale (18mm powered, lost nose cone on maiden flight), I lost my HiFlier on it's first flight so am making a cross between a HiFlier and Xtreme, there's a couple rough Mini Brute clones like the Mini Bertha and Screamer, and finally there is a Citation Patriot. Like many BAR I also have a pile of kits to work on over the fast approaching winter.
PXL_20211026_231445811.jpg
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Back