A little help please, Estes Sidewinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a built sidewinder I did over a year ago, one of the top fins came off at the last launch while in transport.

Easy repair except for the fact that the fin got lost, if anyone has an unbuilt sidewinder could you please trace one of the top fins for me, then email a copy or snail mail so that I can fabricate a new fin.

Thanks

I don't know if this RockSim file contains the patterns, but if you have RockSim you might want to try this link. (From EMRR)

<a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim/oop_estes_Sidewinder.rkt">Estes Sidewinder RockSim File</a>

Jason ,
just measure( or trace) one of the other 3 fins.

I thought about that but they're TTW fins... i suppose i could just pull one of the others out if i can work it out.. and then trace it.

Don't have rocsim, every time i think about getting it i find a kit i'd rather spend the money on.. lol

thanks though

Originally posted by firemanup
I thought about that but they're TTW fins... i suppose i could just pull one of the others out if i can work it out.. and then trace it.

Don't have rocsim, every time i think about getting it i find a kit i'd rather spend the money on.. lol

thanks though

I hear that. I don't have it either. As for tracing the fin, so long as you have the general shape, you can always add an 1/8" fin tab or whatever it is you recall the length being. C'mon, time to hone those scratchbuilding skills!

Easy repair except for the fact that the fin got lost, if anyone has an unbuilt sidewinder could you please trace one of the top fins for me, then email a copy or snail mail so that I can fabricate a new fin.

Thanks

I've got an un-built sidewinder kit....... I'll trace it for in the morning, but I will have to send it to you by snail mail as I have no way of getting it into the computer....... Send me you address I and will get it out to you......

Hey, I have a better idea....... I am upgrading the estes kit..... I plan on using G10 for the fins...... so I really don't need all of the balse fins...... I'll just mail you one fin.........

Well that will work too, but it's up to you i've got balsa stock that i can cut a fin out of....

Don't ya wanna have the small one to display next to the upscale...???

Either way, thanks......

Don't ya wanna have the small one to display next to the upscale...???

Either way, thanks......

I am upgrading the model, with G10 fins and 29mm motor mount..... Not really upscale........

I also have a problem of sorts: I have an Estes Sidewinder that was given to me to repair and it has two on the top missing and one on the bottom.:( I just wonder since generousity is running rampant, if someone could help me out. I.E. trace fin, etc.,etc.
I'm actually getting paid for the job; I guess he doesn't have enough time to do it himself.
BTW does anyone know if it came w/ decals?

Originally posted by mkmilion
I also have a problem of sorts: I have an Estes Sidewinder that was given to me to repair and it has two on the top missing and one on the bottom.:( I just wonder since generousity is running rampant, if someone could help me out. I.E. trace fin, etc.,etc.
I'm actually getting paid for the job; I guess he doesn't have enough time to do it himself.
BTW does anyone know if it came w/ decals?

Send me you address.......... I am not using my balsa fins, I am upgrading to G10..............Decals I don't have any idea.........

mkmilion,
The Sidewinder did come with some decals. Both sides of the bottom fins, a couple of bodytube strips(yellow, and Brown) and some with writing and warnings(like the missle would have) they are thin peel and stick ones.

I don't know if they will show up well in this photo.
Larry

Firemanup:
This is the reason I make a habbit of tracing every fin pattern from every model I've every build either onto the instuction sheets, which are filed by nunber, or a cardstock fin pattern attached to the scratch build work sheet.

I haven't built a sidewinder but I do have a kit my son gave me for Christmas a couple years ago. If no one has it already, I'll scan and post the upper fin pattern for you this evening.

firemanup and mkmilion

I went to pack your fins and found that the padded envelops I had planned to use were gone........ I will pick up a few at wally-world after work........

I will have your fins in the mail tuesday..... I promise......

There is no rush. If you are going out or your way to hook me up then I'm not complaining. I also don't have a dead just yet. That and I have to work on his old Prowler too, which is also missing a fin.

Originally posted by Rocketmanic
firemanup and mkmilion

I went to pack your fins and found that the padded envelops I had planned to use were gone........ I will pick up a few at wally-world after work........

I will have your fins in the mail tuesday..... I promise......

Well, guys..... I am on my way out the door for work...... Will be stopping by the Post Office........... Everythings is packed up.......

I have everything but the decals ,does anyone have a scan available?

Back