a launch turned into a few learning experiences

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score

IMG_8486 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Readied 3 RMS engines, but only shot off two

[video=youtube;cb28PWRLvuw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb28PWRLvuw[/video]

The QCC flew great on a E18-4W

I finally got to get my altimiter in the air and get readings.

318 MPH
372 altitude ( seemed much more)

It came down fast and tangled with my failed recovery method.

On to the Test Big Daddy

It had a F22 in it and stuck on the rail for a bit till it lifted and went horizontal insanely. I had to trudge through so much corn field to get it back.

IMG_8479 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Huge failure though. I had been using these aluminium carabiners for recovery hardware, but it totally failed and the body crashed on the soft farm mud *ME WIPES BROW*

Will use the top flight screwy ones from now on

IMG_8478 by beerorkid, on Flickr

She hit tube down in deep soft earth and fell over

All good. Was my second and third RMS launch. The smell is unique as heck. I got a grasp on it all now though I think. Some brands of baby wipes stink to the max though.

IMG_8483 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Not launched today, but I think it will be OK a few days from now

IMG_8480 by beerorkid, on Flickr

after the two launches I am still darn happy and so looking forward to what the future will hold. RMS 4 LYF

Last edited:
think I see why the TBD(F22) had problems...you shoved the nozzle cap on way too far and tried taking the ignitor leads for a ride. the instructions for both the first fires and copperheads (the seperate sheet, not the reload) state to press the cap on only far enough to hold the ignitor in place. for me that is about an 1/8" or less. ayup those Al quick links are about right for a keychain.
rex

I really try to learn something new everyday. Sometimes the things you learn can be suprising. One thing I do is wrap the leads around the launcher legs. That was after watching a rocket lift about 50 feet of coiled wire off the ground...on a C motor. Some of the Single Use (SU) from Aerotech came with a rubberband instead of a cap. Seemed to be a bit better way than the caps.

giraffestaringintoyourface2.gif

Holy crap I totally missed that part and even the crap still stuck to the aft did not register till you mentioned it. I saw it and just figured that was normal. Seemed kinda lame, but I thought nothing more of it. Makes sense.

Also the pic with the mud in the tube you can see that huge amounts of paint are on the rail buttons :facepalm:

Those little aluminum "caribeeners" are great for holding your keys, but as you learned, horrible for recovery.

Quick links are what you're after; as you've discovered, Top Flight sells them.

As for your rail buttons, if the rocket slides on freely, then the paint isn't typically going to cause an issue. It'll pop off of where the rail rubs on it pretty darned easily.

-Kevin

I've seen a few odd flight trajectories most of them caused the clips going weee we're going for a ride :). otoh I just got through building a motor where the red cap does not fit snug.
rex

Like the altimeter log sheet. Wind may have contributed to a lower than expected altitude. Did you remember to vent the airframe?

You are suppose to secure your clips to the launch pad so the rocket can never give them a free ride (or worse yet the clips give your rocket a free grounding.) I use a spring loaded clip similar to an ex-large clothes pin to secure the launch wire to the launch pad.

BeerorKid
Glad you like the RMS motors. Baby wipes, paper towels, some WD-40 and Q tips really make clean up easier. I try to NOT clean them in the house as the wife objects to the smell. :eyeroll:
As others have said the plastic caps should pull off easily. You can also use a small piece of masking tape. I didn't fly the Hobby Line cases until after I had been flying High power for a few years so I didn't get to experience what you have on a small rocket. :eek:
BTW nice "core sample" of a Nebraska corn field. :wink:
The quick links (top flight screwy ones)you seek are also available at Menards in the automotive section with the trailer stuff. I like the Stainless Steel ones because they are easier to keep clean and don't get rusty from the ejection gasses.

Just glad I did not hurt the rocket. I fugured the aluminum would be lighter, but lesson learned.

I thought I had video of the messed up launch, but I must of forgotten to hit record. I was freezing and it was windy.

Both copperheads went off with no problems though. So that is good. Also fixed my interlock controller and it works for now. I have plans to use the guts to make a cool launch controller.

I have vent holes in it for the altimeter and it seems the paint rubbed right off the rail buttons.

Last edited:
Back