A launch controller design for idiots???

Discussion in 'Ground Support' started by ThreeJsDad, Feb 13, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2020 #1

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

I am great with composites and mechanical stuff but electronic symbols might as well be Egyptian Hieroglyphics to me.

My wife and I are planning a rocket program for her 4th grade class. I can easily build a 4-6 launch pad system but a launch controller for that launch pad could be beyond my reach without some help from you folks.

I don't need any drag race functions so it may be simpler than I think but I am at a loss right now for how to build one. When I look up plans they are those Egyptian Symbols.

Could I build a simple box that has individual circuits but power is drawn from one source. Just separate buttons for each pad?

Thanks in advance for helping an electronics idiot. The sad thing is I solder really well....LOL

Paul

2. Feb 13, 2020 #2

samb

samb

samb

Lifetime Member

3. Feb 13, 2020 #3

samb

samb

samb

Lifetime Member

4. Feb 13, 2020 #4

jrap330

jrap330

jrap330

I graduated with my Engineering degree over 35 years ago, so my circuit analysis is rusty, but you can just use one Estes Controller or two and move the clips around since you are not doing drag races. But more important, they are Electrical Schematic Symbols. Now Hieroglyphics are all those emojis created for texting on a smart phone. If it looks like a door it is a switch, if it looks like a push close door, a button switch and anything with like a light build is a bulb or LED bulb. Google electrical symbols.

5. Feb 13, 2020 #5

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

I am learning the emjoi thing.... Thanks I will see what I can figure out...

6. Feb 13, 2020 #6

Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up

All of these seem overkill, if we're talking about LPR. Relays? for a 15 foot lead?
    A simple 6-pad system (without dragrace capability) can be built with a rotary selector switch, a couple more switches for arming and launch, and a continuity indicator light. An old estes publication talks about the basics, and shows such a system:
    https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Educator/2811_Estes_Model_Rocket_Launch_Systems.pdf
    Old Centauri catalog showed a simple setup:
    http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen72.html

You could probably add dragrace with a couple additional switches, if that were necessary.

7. Feb 13, 2020 #7

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

ThreeJsDad

You are awesome, thanks so much !! We talking about just that, a simple little LPR pad.

PS that first link to Estes was perfect, that is a great PDF and a sweet little pad system.

8. Feb 13, 2020 #8

Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up

One thing that makes the Estes link a little dated, is that LEDs (with a current-limiting resistor) have pretty much replaced incandescent bulbs for these applications, due to lower cost, lower current raw, longer life, etc. This is an easy substitution to make.

9. Feb 15, 2020 at 11:38 PM #9

kweaver

kweaver

kweaver

Always willing to learn! TRF Supporter

This complete launch controller system may be worth considering.
    https://www.rocketryworks.com/houston-6-pad-launch-controller/
    It ships as complete package with cabling and pad connectors, carrying case and an optional 12v battery and charger can be included.
    All you would need to add would be, your launch pads and rockets.
    Ken Weaver