a larger keyboard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I've often wondered why only one size of a keyboard? We all use them these days, yet the size is still formatted for the secretary.

What if we had a slightly larger keyboard? I'm always slightly off when hitting the keys, getting 2 keys at the same time, finding the space between, etc.. What if keyboard keys were about 10% or 20% larger, to give the 'hunt & peckers' a bigger target to hit..

Would there be a need? a want? a market?

We have a sight-impaired student at my school and he has an extra-large keyboard. Probably was expensive.

That is a huge market for larger keyboards, and that market is PC Gaming. I use a gaming keyboard. Way bigger than your standard keyboard. Mine is backlit and I can tune it to nearly any color imaginable, record macros and a dozen other things I don't use it for, but the light is always helpful. Even has a little fan that you can mount to blow on one of your hands. Most packaged deal have just a standard generic keyboard.

Check out Razer and Tt eSports for some awesome keyboards.

Mikey D

Last edited:
23-109-156-01.jpg

My smart-ass answer it "learn to touch type" but, there seems to be a lot of options out there.

OK, thanks guys, never really thought others had the same issue.

Need a slightly larger layout. Not for sight, but for finding the keys with fat / badly aimed fingers!

I'll give the gaming keyboards another look. always thought they had the 'standard' key size & placement, just with extra bells & whistles..

I've used the ergonomic ones, one co-worker even had that keyboard column for a while. They do take a bit of getting used to , but the keys are roughly the same size, just laid out a bit differently..

My problem is different. I use an old Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard that lets the keypad be moved to either side of the keyboard. This is perfect for my CAD use, as it allows the trackball (thumball) to be placed close by on the right, for minimum motion when that hand has to be moved to the keyboard, and lets the left hand use programmable keys on the keypad. Problem is, the keypad is flaking out. The keypad fits in so nicely, but I might have to replace it with an external USB keypad. I haven't seen any other alternative - they don't make this keyboard anymore and it's $$ on ebay.

It's amazing how much people covet their individual keyboard once the find one they like. I have been using the Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro since they were introduced and have worn two out (on 5 different machine upgrades), now that the model is no longer available except as NOS or used I can either pay through the nose for a NOS one or take my chances on a used one or switch models. Mechanical keyboards rock IMO.

it did take me a bit to get used to a gamming board, the keystrokes are shorter. the down arrow cursor key on my Razor measures 1/2" square, standard kb 7/16" square.
Rex

I got attached to a logitech G15..... a few keys crapped out, and theres no way I'm sinking that kinda coin again on one. boo. I still miss it.

15668822021_9dcaf00888_o.jpg

could get this-

kylie_keyboard.jpg

IBM Model M. Clicky keyboards for life, also useful if I ever have to fend off an attacker or dig my way to safety.

The clicky keyboards are made different, they are mechanical rather than membrane and tend to be more durable, and louder. Some can have the switches replaced if they clunk out on ya.

The clicky keyboards are made different, they are mechanical rather than membrane and tend to be more durable, and louder. Some can have the switches replaced if they clunk out on ya.

Love my mechanical keyboards they last for a very long time, and the click is kind of nice...at least to me.

have you considered voice recognition software ?

see link below

[video=youtube;QX5s58k3E1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5s58k3E1Y[/video]

Bobby

I use what my wife calls the "geezer" keyboard. The keys are slightly larger and are yellow with large black characters. I find it easier to use than a normal keyboard, especially at night in low light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EGY6Y8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That's a little fancier than mine, it has a row of buttons across the top. I do have a major complaint, the LED's that tell you your caps lock is on and the other locks have the dimmest, smallest LED's on a keyboard in 20 years. I'M ALWAYS PRESSING THE CAPS LOCK...damn....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing how much people covet their individual keyboard once the find one they like. I have been using the Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro since they were introduced and have worn two out (on 5 different machine upgrades), now that the model is no longer available except as NOS or used I can either pay through the nose for a NOS one or take my chances on a used one or switch models. Mechanical keyboards rock IMO.

When our company got rid of our old IBM computers I got my hands on a few of the old clicky IBM keyboards. That's the feel that I like when touch typing.

Steve Shannon

When our company got rid of our old IBM computers I got my hands on a few of the old clicky IBM keyboards. That's the feel that I like when touch typing.

Steve Shannon
Got any industrial grey 104's w/ the removable cord socket?

That's my fave but I keep forgetting to buy one and replace it's brain w/ a modern NKRO controller.

Got any industrial grey 104's w/ the removable cord socket?

That's my fave but I keep forgetting to buy one and replace it's brain w/ a modern NKRO controller.

I'll look, but i won't be able to until later this week. I think they are the removable (on both ends) cord.
Unfortunately my most recent computer cannot easily use the old IBM keyboard.

Steve Shannon

I'll look, but i won't be able to until later this week. I think they are the removable (on both ends) cord.
Unfortunately my most recent computer cannot easily use the old IBM keyboard.

Steve Shannon
Hence the brain transplant :). If you send me two, I'll eventually send back one that works on a modern system....

I was so hoping that the OPs post was written like this:

IO jhasbver latrfge gfonmgherres

The MS comfort Curve 2000 which I posted has some of the center keys a bit fatter. The layout seems to help (except today) with fat fingering. I use a Macbook Pro 13" and it is pretty easy to switch back and forth between the chicklets on the mac and the 2000 keyboard (use the 2000 at the office, the mac's KB at home).

I actually buy these things used when I find them, because the basic wired version is no longer available and I have spares for when one craps out, which has not happened yet (fingers crossed).

Back