A knotty question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockie

High Plains Rocketeer
Reaction score
I'm using a length of braided kevlar using a lariat loop to about 1 " below my body tube......then I attach a 1.5 body length piece of paracord using a split ring, where I tie each to it using simple double overhand knots.
my question: IF I wanted to get rid of the split ring and just tie the two ends together, what would be the best knot to use?
Is it suitable to just use overhand knots here too? Or is there something superior..... ? remember I'm knotting braided Kevlar with a nylon-covered elastic cord .... known as micro or nano cord. It will easily stretch to about 2x it's cut length. it's about 0.75mm to 1.18mm with breaking strengths from 30 to 95 lb . LPR mostly.

Small identical line to small identical line-Surgeons knot, or bowline to bowline
Line to dissimilar line, either bowline to bowline or a doubled sheet bend
For bowline knots, I typically tape or heat shrink the loose ends so they don't hang up on anything.

With what you are talking about, I'd probably use a doubled sheet bend with the elastic part on the outside. I'd probably tape the ends.

There are more types of knots than types of glue, so be ready for a lot of opinions.

I use the surgeon's knot to join different sized kevlar lines and it works very well. I've never tried it with elastic lines but if you'd like to give it a try, here and here are some videos of how to tie it.

Randy

Big fan of Bowlines.. and a half-hitch on the tag end to secure it. And I have also added heat shrink to some, depending on where it is..

A 'Duncan Loop' can be fancy.. (its a variation of the 'Trilene knot', but doesn't cinch down)

I use a Bowline on the Kevlar because it's super easy to detach, so I can service my recovery gear easy.

For keeping my tag ends tidy I like the flexible / durable cloth medical tape. Folds well, slides well, comes off okay when I need to undo/redo.

I agree with darn near everything Donnager wrote, and do have a few comments.
Small identical line to small identical line-Surgeons knot, or bowline to bowline
Line to dissimilar line, either bowline to bowline or a doubled sheet bend
Also, for matching or very nearly matching lines, and in LP applications, a good old square knot is also a simple and viable option.
With what you are talking about, I'd probably use a doubled sheet bend with the elastic part on the outside.
Since they're not similar size lines, so no square knot, I totally agree. The sheet bend is easier to tie.
For bowline knots, I typically tape or heat shrink the loose ends so they don't hang up on anything.
Same for the square knot. And for that matter pretty much any knot with ends hanging out (i.e. all knots) you might as well wrap them with something. I sometimes use a drop of CA, but that does rather prevent later disassembly.
There are more types of knots than types of glue, so be ready for a lot of opinions.
Yup. Buckle up.

And finally, why are you doing away with the split ring? I can think of one good reason to do that - using a swivel instead - and that wouldn't involve tying line to line.

Back