A holiday rocket launch (or, how it sucks to be me).

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Yesterday, being a federal holiday and with kids not in school yet, my family invited another family from church to go out to a sports field and launch rockets.

Two weeks ago I bought five E2X kits from AC Supply, and a 24-pack of B6-4. Along with these, we had a kitbash thing that I made, an Estes Fuse, and two Higgs Farm square rockets.

Nine rockets, four kids. Beautiful sunshine. Field all to ourselves.

To cut to the climax, I went home with four rockets. Four are in trees, and one was never found. Of the four that came home, the Fuse needs to be retired, both Higgs Farms need fins reglued, and the only E2X that survived is in good shape.

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

Oh, well. Time to buy more.

Yesterday, being a federal holiday and with kids not in school yet, my family invited another family from church to go out to a sports field and launch rockets.

Two weeks ago I bought five E2X kits from AC Supply, and a 24-pack of B6-4. Along with these, we had a kitbash thing that I made, an Estes Fuse, and two Higgs Farm square rockets.

To cut to the climax, I went home with four rockets. Four are in trees, and one was never found. Of the four that came home, the Fuse needs to be retired, both Higgs Farms need fins reglued, and the only E2X that survived is in good shape.

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

That sounds like a version of most of my launch days. I am pretty much happy when I come home with more than 50% of the rockets that I went out with. It sort of makes it more fun because then I have to buy and build so many more rockets. I don't think it sucks though. I would rather fly high and risk losing than just fly low and safe. I need a Jolly logic but I know I will still end up losing it within the first few sessions as various other rocket disasters will cause me to lose it. Its all great fun though and highly addictive.

I'm jealous that you could go out and fly. With the burn bans and my major surgery, then rehab, I haven't flown in two years. A bad rocket day is better than a no rocket day. Keep flying and enjoy the moment.

I'm jealous that you could go out and fly. With the burn bans and my major surgery, then rehab, I haven't flown in two years. A bad rocket day is better than a no rocket day. Keep flying and enjoy the moment.

You're right. There's the old expression: use it or lose it. For us, it was, use it and lose it. :) Yes, a bad day launching rockets is better than a good day at work. The kids had a blast, and it was good bonding time with the other family.

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

Labor Day was a beautiful day in MN other than it was a shade windy. My D engine limit was in full force. I was very happy to get a chance to fly. 10 C11 and D12 flights with no damage or lost rockets (other than ANOTHER broken fin on a Red Flare).

That being said, I recall a weekend where I lost seven rockets over a long three day weekend.

My beliefs:

1. Don't launch them if you aren't prepared to lose them.
2. Have spare rockets.
3. Collect and save spare parts.
4. Never get too attached to any one particular rocket.
5. Closely monitor the Estes specials page.
6. Buy motors from AC Supply (they have GREAT customer service).

I whole heartedly agree. One can always buy more... LOL Speaking of that, I am running low on B and C motors.

Back