A good primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As suggested in my other thread, I am looking to spray paint my rockets.

I am interested to know what primers people are using? Any good or bad ones?

Well I use Rustoleum automotive primer, but I don't know the availability of it in the UK. I personally can't tell the difference between one primer and another and how they affect the paint's bond to the surface. I only use primer to spot out the defects in the rocket before painting. The flat and single tone color that the primer has makes it really easy to see if there's any grooves, dents, high or low spots, etc. in the rocket.

I was thinking of using an automotive primer. So you have given me the push to go out and try it.

Incidentally do you varnish or seal your rockets after painting?

Well, I've been using the Walmart Colorplace 98 cents a can primers in red (hi-dep) and gray (regular) and it works great. Goes on nice, dries fast, and sands easy, and I haven't had a problem with anything I've put over it.

Works for me and the price is right. OL JR :)

As for finishing the paint job off, I tend to use Future Floor Polish. It's cheap, easy, very shiny, and it's a hard clear coat. Smells fruity too.

I may try that. Especially with the fruity smell :)
Haha. Just a side note, don't try applying the Future with paper towels. I tried that and I found that the cellulose fibers from the paper came out of the towel and ruined the clear coat. When dry, the fibers make for a really streaky appearance and does not look good at all. Cotton cloth, like from an old t-shirt, works well. I want to try out Future with a disposable foam brush and see if that is any better.

Since you live in the UK look for this stuff, it's manufactured there.
BikeNuke3E001.jpg

It's not cheap here in the US ( $30+ retail a can) but it is by far the best filling, easiest stuff to sand I have ever come across. The guy that paints my motorcycles turned me onto this stuff and from what I know it is only available at pro automotive paint suppliers. I absolutely hate painting and sanding but this stuff sure makes life easier and well worth the price.
When I'm poor I'll use the rustloleum automotive primer.

Since you live in the UK look for this stuff, it's manufactured there.
BikeNuke3E001.jpg

It's not cheap here in the US ( $30+ retail a can) but it is by far the best filling, easiest stuff to sand I have ever come across. The guy that paints my motorcycles turned me onto this stuff and from what I know it is only available at pro automotive paint suppliers. I absolutely hate painting and sanding but this stuff sure makes life easier and well worth the price.
When I'm poor I'll use the rustloleum automotive primer.

Nice... I like the look of this one. Well tomorrow I have to go and buy the wife a new baby pram (expecting this December). But to make the trip worth MY while, I will nip out to a couple of DIY stores to check it out. ;)

BTW I will let you know the cost of what it is in the UK.

Just looked online. The U-Pol High 5 (exact same as in the photo) costs £10.99 (about $18 USD) per can from my local car/bike superstore. Plus they have it in stock. So happy days. :)

Just looked online. The U-Pol High 5 (exact same as in the photo) costs £10.99 (about $18 USD) per can from my local car/bike superstore. Plus they have it in stock. So happy days. :)

Glad you found it and I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I didn't pay $30 a can for it ( I'm a good customer :) ) but he did tell me thats what he would charge to someone walking in off the street.

Back