A fool and his Ion Pulsar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planet Andy

Reaction score
Greetings all...
Yesterday 8/15 decided to get in an evening launch before hurricane Charley whipped his tail round our parts. Air was still. High ceiling overcast. 1)"#1" (estes sizzler painted by wife) on 1/2A62. Low flight straight up and straight down on streamer. recovery 8 ft from pad. 2)"Razor3" on A83. Perfect 500ft flight. So straight I can see the burn all the way from underneath. Returns on streamer unscathed 50 ft. from pad. 3)Custom Ion Pulsar on B44. Best flight ever for this bird. Straight up very light spin. Perfect arc and spillhole chute expulsion textbook. A little drift but still well clear of woods and 50 ft. from pad. Recovery without a scratch... Andy's internal dialogue follows: "Hey I got this C67 in my box... what a way to end the day! Geez this motor's packed to the brim...I dunno Davey (some of you in my age bracket will get that reference)...is it even recommended for the IP? DO IT!...Last 2 C67 launches were never seen again... It's got some mass and there's no wind...It'll be fine... DO IT!" 4) Beautiful accelerating launch straight up to maybe 700 ft. Brilliant burn visible from below. Majestic arc seems more like 7 minutes than 7 seconds...arc towards woods but still plenty clear at ejection... Oh beautiful spillhole chute resplendent in your fullness...Oh THERE'S the wind up there at like 500 ft... drifting drifting drifting... you guys know the rest. Somewhere in the swampy woods (I know they're swampy now) between the field and the James Baird State Park Golf Course (" you lost? uh..we heard it but didn't see it") lies the Ion Pulsar. It had been my proudest, most protracted and beautiful build. Such is the sport right? Will get another and it will be at least as nice! Only regret is not having a picture of it. So when I got home after picking up a pint of Chocolate Moose Droppings Ice Cream I immediately set about documenting the current fleet also cause some of you have requested pics.
Attached is a jpg of my Estes Guardian...another fine build that has had several safe returns. I'm not clear as to how to attach more than one jpg as some of you do. I'll send more in later posts.

On the bench:
Estes GBU Paveway
Still In the bag:
Custom Redliner
JUST IN and appropriately named... my first JimKit! the futuristic and sleek Fliskit Long Overdue
Printed on CardStock:
Fliskit Marauder (THANKS JIM!)

Keeping all in perspective, I hope all of you and yours are safe in the wake of the Tropical Storms.

Andy

why is it always the prettiest that get lost? i guess it just adds to the thrill of model rocketry.

Don't you know? .....

Those C6-7's are sent here to trick us into sending a sacrifice to the rocket gods:(

It's called build to lose. My new rocket will probably do just that (EM G37-10W in a 24mm minimum diameter rocket!!!)

Maybe you should listen to Goliath next time!:D

Sorry for the loss man!

hey guys,

thanks... a flis long overdue purchase and 3 ion Pulsars on the store rack for the next visit...I'm feeling much better.

radiO... she was a beaut but shant be forgotten...she will inspire a successor.

Bob...Rocket Gods? What's in it for an agnostic?

GL-P... yeah...I have no idea what a EM G37-10W is (yet) but it sounds much more expensive to lose than an Ion Pulsar.

Scott...remember when Davey and Goliath covertly climbed into the boxcar full of bananas and the train pulled away? The Ion Pulsar is everywhere everywhere everywhere.

Cheers All

Andy

group picture attached... L to R Quark with "cut inside dotted line" decal affixed, #1 (Sizzler painted by Elana...Mrs. Andy), Galileo Probe.

I like the Galileo probe. Where'd ya get it?

i had a gallileo... dont know what happened to it... was a nice flyer, but i had one helluva time putting the paper on lol

Rocket Gods? What's in it for an agnostic

The agnostic that I knew was also dyslexic and an insomniac. :rolleyes:

He used to lie awake at night, wondering if there really was a Dog! :D

Well those rockets are going somewhere. I have launched a couple of Midnight Express rockets on C6-7's and they just disappeared. I followed them up as far as I could, saw the smoke trail, and then.... nothing.

Of course, putting anything bigger than an "A" in one of those is almost a guarantee of a lost rocket. ;)

Andy,
Was Davey's sister named Mary? I remember it was a very religion based show (hence David and Goliath). I remember an episode where Davey or his Sister wandered out onto a rocket launch pad and one of them got their foot caught in what amounted to the deflector plate on the launch stand. It would be neat to find that episode and build a scale model of that craft. I don't think anyone would be able to figure out what show it was from!

BobH48- So, this dyslexic walks into a bra...

Galileo Probe is a Custom Kit... like $3.50. Nose blew off first flight, so it's never had a great flight. replaced it and affixed with CA and hasn't been out since...Good idea on a 1/2A. That paper shroud is a little bit of a pain yeah. Should be available. Not OOP to my knowledge.

With all respect to Jim and other designers I will be building some paper craft to lighten my Michael's %40 off bulk pack of C engines in an attempt to resist future temptation...plus I can launch em in my yard.

I don't have any new dyslexic jokes...but a horse walked backwards into a bar...Oh I dunno

As I recall, Davey's sister was Sally his friend was Jimmy and I KNEW there was a rocket themed show and now I remember that episode exactly. How'd he get on that launch pad anyway...tieing it all together I guess the Rocket Gods saved HIM right? Thanks for the memory jog Scott...howzabout the one where he was stuck on the rope bridge over the Plastic Wrap river. Jeez that puppet kid got himself into a lot of scraps eh?

gotta refine my (docu) photo technique but attached is a lift off of "#1"

okay blasting off for now

A T

gotta refine my (docu) photo technique but attached is a lift off of "#1"

Andy,

At least you got a shot of the lift off :)

Most of the time when I try to take a launch shot, I get a "smoke trail" picture :rolleyes:

Bob

Hey Guys,

I have replaced the sadly lost first Ion Pulsar which began this thread with another. Though you can't tell from the pic I've painted this one with the "hammered look" paint and about 80% of the rivet decals. Launched for the first time dusk on Saturday. Took no chances (fall wind) and launched on an A83. Perfectly straight.Parachute ejected but did not unfold and lost a dowel on landing. That's okay landed close and the dowel has already been repaired and extra filleting added. I like the nice dramatic pics you get at dusk or dawn. Hope all launches went well this weekend for all of you.

Andy

And here I thought the reference was the exchanges between buddy ebsen and 'davey' in the walt disney davy crocket series! Born on a mountain top in ... oh never mind. hehe

Back