• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold A few Old Magazines and some full sets from the 2010's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As part of trying to distribute items from Doug Frost's collection to people who would like to have the items, I have sorted a box of rocket magazines which (by weight) are mostly 2011+ Sport Rocketry magazines, but there are a handful from the 80's, 70's and a couple from the late 60's.

I tried posting a bit back on YORF regarding old motors, but the thread kept getting derailed, so I figured I'd post my question here first this time.

I don't want to be involved in any financial transactions first and foremost. I am trying to help Doug's widow get things that Doug cared about to the hands of people who will use and enjoy what he kept for all these years.

My first thought is that I can post a list of the magazines by year and month and an interested individual could contact via PM to say they wanted line number XX. I could check weight/size and let them know and then they could send a shipping label to me and I would ship at the end of the week.

Does that seem reasonable? Again, this is a question, not a plan and there are only a handful of magazines from the 80's and before, so there's no goldmine for anyone. Having said that, there are a lot of 2011+ magazines and for newer members who weren't members of the NAR until recently, they would likely be worth shipping cost, I assume.

Please, don't PM me with 'I want them all' or tell me why I'm doing things wrong. I am just trying to pass items along which Doug's wife wanted passed along to the community. If you have a suggestion that makes more sense than what I said above, please post it for others to see. Thankfully, shipping printed magazines isn't difficult at all, but if the topic could be kept on track with any and all ideas about successfully relocating these magazines to people who would like to have them, I would love to read them and act accordingly. If people keep off-tracking, I'll be pretty darn bummed. Again, this really negative reaction isn't based on what happened here recently, but from somewhere else and I'm hoping to 'nip it in the bud' as Barney Fife would have preferred. (If I'm being disrespectful by asking that, please post arguments publicly instead of via PM, though. . . might as well make it fun for others. . . ).

Once a good idea on how to distribute the magazines is arrived at, I'll post the detailed list. Not a scam, not asking for money - just looking on how to move the items from my garage to your house. . .

(Roughly 26 magazines from the 80's and before, 24 random issues from 2012-2021, 5 almost complete sets (5 vs 6 issues) from 2011-2019 and 3 complete sets from 2012-2015. Nothing groundbreaking, but not right to shred, IMO)

Sandy.

Hey, thanks for helping a rocketeer's family out - I'm confident his wife appreciates the support.

Your plan seems pretty reasonable.

-Kevin

Sounds like the proposed plan isn't offending anybody, so here's the list.

Initially, I thought PM made sense, but after thinking about it more, it probably makes sense to post in this thread what you want so others will know what was initially spoken for. I'll respond with shipping weight via PM and will try to keep the list updated as often as practical.

I will ship every Friday, assuming I'm not out of town.

So, if you're interested in any of the magazines, post the Line ID you're looking for and I'll PM you. Note that the older magazines are at best 'fair' condition. I don't smell/see any indication of mold/mildew at all, but I have a bad sense of smell (not COVID, just how I was born!!!!). If you're interested in the content, you're covered, but if you want something to display, this probably isn't what you want. Newer issues are read, but in generally good shape. Pic attached to show general quality.

Thanks,

Sandy.

[edit: Table current as of 9:30pm EST on 10/15/2021]

Line IDMagazineYearIssueQty
18​
Model Rocketeer
1982​
April
3​
22​
Model Rocketeer
1983​
May
1​
23​
Model Rocketeer
1983​
June
5​

Attachments

• magazines.JPG
    magazines.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'd be interested in lines 2 through 15 - it would be fun to look back and compare things from that era to how things are, today.

-Kevin

Recycle runs on Monday. If any of you newer members want some magazines from the time before you joined for cost of shipping only, I'll be glad to pass them along, but otherwise I'll recycle.

While the newer editions seem to have a lot of ads and other stuff, there are still occasional plans or articles that are interesting to read. Maybe everything is online, but sometimes reading paper is cathartic and you can recycle when done.

Just one bump before they get recycled.

Sandy.

I am interested in the Model Rocketeer's and the American Spacemodelling, lines 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27.

Thanks.

Greg

I think they are all spoken for at this point, assuming shipping doesn't chase anybody off. As some have had multiple requests for certain magazines, I will allocate/pick based on who asked first and then go to the next person etc. I will PM you the line numbers, box size and weight, along with my address so you can get the shipping label figured out.

I'll send out PM's after dinner tonight.

Sandy.

PM's sent to those who expressed interest. Also I apparently forgot to figure in that there were multiples of some, so I updated the table to include magazines that are still left. As there are so few and they are just repeats from a specific time period, I'll keep them for the next few weeks and just take them to a club launch if nobody else expresses interest in having them. But if you'll pay shipping, they're yours, just like everybody else!

Thanks for helping me move these items along from Doug's collection. His wife is very happy that his things are going to others who can continue to enjoy them.

Sandy.

Rat Crap, story of my entire life .....a day late, a dollar short :mad:

If you want some reading material, I've got more from my personal stash - this thread was specifically related to the Doug Frost estate. I'd be glad to hand deliver the 3 remaining titles from the early 80's as well, but I have plenty of others you can enjoy, mostly from 2005+, but some good stuff still.

We need to catch up and eat taco's again soon anyway. I've got a bit going on for the next 2 weeks, but if you're up for lunch on 10/29 or 11/5, PM me. Also, if you're still missing parts for the L2, please let me know and I'll try to bring something if I have it. (FYI: Still not finished with the RCM. . . lots of stuff came up and it got pushed to the back burner. . . )

Be well.

Sandy.

Magazines arrived safely earlier in the week. Thanks much Sandy.

--Greg

Back