A few new builds.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the parts in the mail, gonna do a E engine mount in the Baby Bertha. Wanted to paper the fins, so that took ny time up tonight. Plus its the first time I've done it, so it turned out ok...

Attachments

• 20230601_174142.jpg
    20230601_174142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230601_201041.jpg
    20230601_201041.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230601_203913.jpg
    20230601_203913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Picked up some sealer for the Baby Bertha fins at Hobby Lobby. Started the E engine mount for that also. Used some extra rings to beef it up, I dont have epoxy and I should have gotten some, but I'm not trying to spend a lot on this, lol! Along with a few more things I grabbed, and then a can of paint at Walmart for the Cherokee-E. I'm gonna use that blue in the future. I was really hoping Hobby Lobby had the Red Nova, but they didnt..

Attachments

• 20230602_225837.jpg
    20230602_225837.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230602_224433.jpg
    20230602_224433.jpg
  • 20230602_222256.jpg
    20230602_222256.jpg
  • 20230602_221033.jpg
    20230602_221033.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230602_114742.jpg
    20230602_114742.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Picked up some sealer for the Baby Bertha fins at Hobby Lobby. Started the E engine mount for that also. Used some extra rings to beef it up, I dont have epoxy and I should have gotten some, but I'm not trying to spend a lot on this, lol! Along with a few more things I grabbed, and then a can of paint at Walmart for the Cherokee-E. I'm gonna use that blue in the future. I was really hoping Hobby Lobby had the Red Nova, but they didnt..

Nice! Epoxy definitely isn't necessary for models like this, a good glue like titebond is all you need (and to be honest, many of my low power models are put together with just plain old Elmer's).

Nice! Epoxy definitely isn't necessary for models like this, a good glue like titebond is all you need (and to be honest, many of my low power models are put together with just plain old Elmer's).
I've been using Elmers Carpenters glue. It seems to work ok. I have some tightbond I found I can use. When I did this a few years back I was using a few different types, but the last time I checked they were all dried up plus I can't get to them anyways. But I started using epoxy on most of the builds. And now I'm going to be paperimg finds like crazy from now on.

I noticed your Crossfire back there. I recently built one
qqBOYvA.jpg

I've been using Elmers Carpenters glue. It seems to work ok. I have some tightbond I found I can use. When I did this a few years back I was using a few different types, but the last time I checked they were all dried up plus I can't get to them anyways. But I started using epoxy on most of the builds. And now I'm going to be paperimg finds like crazy from now on.
I've never papered fins before. I've got an Antsr coming this week that I thought I'd try it on. Do you use the Avery adhesive labels method? Just stick on, trim, then reinforce the leading edges with thin CA?
I also have a Super Orbital Transport in the stash, but I don't think I'd want THAT to be my first attempt at papering fins.

I've never papered fins before. I've got an Antsr coming this week that I thought I'd try it on. Do you use the Avery adhesive labels method? Just stick on, trim, then reinforce the leading edges with thin CA?
I also have a Super Orbital Transport in the stash, but I don't think I'd want THAT to be my first attempt at papering fins.
You can always experiment/practice with scrap pieces of balsa.
I used to use 2 pieces of flat wood, some clamps, and a couple of pieces of waxed paper. The glue will somewhat stick to the waxed paper so I switched to using the thin plastic that you can buy to use as a cutting surface for cutting vegetables.
I cut pieces of paper slightly bigger than the fins. I smear a layer of wood glue on one side of the fin, put a piece of paper on there, squeegee out the excess glue then quickly clamp the fin between the 2 pieces of wood and the plastic. After 30 minutes take the fin out and do the other side, then quickly re-clamp and leave it for 12 hours. After doing all of the fins I'll use a sanding block to clean off the edges. I'll put some wood filler on the edges, maybe touch up any booboos in the paper. This gives a much nicer finish than bare balsa but it isn't perfect, I do it to make the fins stronger and it does a pretty good job of this.
The stick on label paper would be a lot easier and faster, I just worry if it will do as good of a job to strengthen the fins and if it will start to peel off after awhile.

It was my first time too, check out the response by bjphoenix. Also look at YouTube videos. I'm actually admitted to the hospital rn. I'm gonna be trying the label method too when I get home. Some ways to do that, but like said experiment with scrap balsa. Sorry man I'll write more when I feel better.

It was my first time too, check out the response by bjphoenix. Also look at YouTube videos. I'm actually admitted to the hospital rn. I'm gonna be trying the label method too when I get home. Some ways to do that, but like said experiment with scrap balsa. Sorry man I'll write more when I feel better.
Feel better soon man! The models can always wait...

Feel better soon man! The models can always wait...
Thanks, yeah its giving me something to do. Got hurt bad at a job years ago. So itsbrough to find a part time job for a 40 year old guy. Trying to claim full or part time disability is almost impossible. So its giving me a reason to stay sane!

Hey I starting using labels for fins. Did the crossfore last night and it turned out great. Just need to get some CA today at Hobby Lobby for the edges.

Crap heres the Crossfire fins after labels. Turned out great. That was a harder one two with the smaller fins that slide into the main fins. Just need CA for the edges.

Attachments

• 20230609_014517.jpg
    20230609_014517.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230609_011018.jpg
    20230609_011018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230609_010003.jpg
    20230609_010003.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
I label paper (almost) all my fins, and have shown the process many times in my build threads. IMHO it works great and is very easy.

A couple of things I do:
1) After sanding the fins, brush off the heavy dust (I use a paintbrush), and then use some blue tape over the whole fin surface to remove remaining dust. The less dust on the fins, the more securely the label will adhere.
2) I don't trim the paper, I sand it off. The really works the edges of the label paper into the wood. It also works well for curved fins, rounded edge fins, whatever. Then I apply CA to the edges.

Last edited:
I painted the Baby Bertha today, prob gonna be the day for painting. Also did some labeling to the fins of the Crossfire, just put some CA on the edges. Gonna let that dry and sand it.

Attachments

• 20230610_113514.jpg
    20230610_113514.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230610_111252.jpg
    20230610_111252.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
I need to see that Baby Bertha launch on an E.
I launched it on a B4-4 I think it was? It in the video below if I can get it to post.... But because this was my first time papering fins, I used the glue/water/copy paper method. It worked great just warped the fins slightly. I knew it might be an issue, and its not safe or wouldn't be fun to fly on a E bc its just gonna go crazy. They are 8 bux at Hobby Lobby, if I can get down to get another im gonna, and do the label method for the fins, and also get another Crossfire to fly on a D and E motor. Thats my little goal for the July w9th launch in going too. Ill have tons of pictures and viseo after that day. But this one now is just gonna be a test one, or a shelf queen. But I painted it more and added stickers..

Attachments

• 20230623_135605.jpg
    20230623_135605.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I was never a fan of the Bertha rockets, but my Baby Bertha quickly became a favorite of mine.
My 3rd or so Rocket was a Super Big Bertha when I was 8 or 9 around 1990. Always had ejection issues with it, so that one is my one rocket that I'm always trying to get right, and prob will now with modified parts. But its that one like Nicholas Cages character Memphis Raines in "Gone In 60 Seconds", the GT500 was his unicorn, so thats what SBB is to me. But I bought the other ones to go with the "set", but have a blast with my Baby Bertha E. Only thing is it was my first time papering the fins, long story they warped and its too unsafe to fly, almost lost it on a B4-4. But, I can build another along with a Crossfire to burn on E's. But I dont really care for the Berthas look, but as a 9 years old that rocket was the cool thing I had ever seen, and I built it. Bright Yellow, and the end it was a mix of parts from bad ejections or chute tangles, it was about 2 feet high. Every flight took a few inches off with the bad saw, lol. So its just that for me.

My 3rd or so Rocket was a Super Big Bertha when I was 8 or 9 around 1990. Always had ejection issues with it, so that one is my one rocket that I'm always trying to get right, and prob will now with modified parts. But its that one like Nicholas Cages character Memphis Raines in "Gone In 60 Seconds", the GT500 was his unicorn, so thats what SBB is to me. But I bought the other ones to go with the "set", but have a blast with my Baby Bertha E. Only thing is it was my first time papering the fins, long story they warped and its too unsafe to fly, almost lost it on a B4-4. But, I can build another along with a Crossfire to
I recently was gifted a 1995 Broadsword kit that was just a renamed Big Bertha, it has a stuffer tube that goes halfway up the rocket to improve ejection. It has 5 flights on it, 4 with an E-12-4 and one on an E-20-7 Composite. One of my more labor involved builds but it's my first rocket bigger than a BT-60.

Attachments

• IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I recently was gifted a 1995 Broadsword kit that was just a renamed Big Bertha, it has a stuffer tube that goes halfway up the rocket to improve ejection. It has 5 flights on it, 4 with an E-12-4 and one on an E-20-7 Composite. One of my more labor involved builds but it's my first rocket bigger than a BT-60.
That's cool!

I launched it on a B4-4 I think it was? It in the video below if I can get it to post.... But because this was my first time papering fins, I used the glue/water/copy paper method. It worked great just warped the fins slightly. I knew it might be an issue, and its not safe or wouldn't be fun to fly on a E bc its just gonna go crazy. They are 8 bux at Hobby Lobby, if I can get down to get another im gonna, and do the label method for the fins, and also get another Crossfire to fly on a D and E motor. Thats my little goal for the July w9th launch in going too. Ill have tons of pictures and viseo after that day. But this one now is just gonna be a test one, or a shelf queen. But I painted it more and added stickers..
The trick to using labels is to remove the dust before either with masking tape or a waste label

The trick to using labels is to remove the dust before either with masking tape or a waste label
I'm good with the labels. I sand the fin down a little, then after I put the labels on I use a hairdryer for a bit, then CA on the edges, and paint. I have been doing all the balsa kits like that. Just made one piece Olympus fins with motor tube tabs and slotted tube walls, lol. But here's the High-Flier XL. That fin size about maxed out my 5.5"x.8.5" labels. But they make them 100x tougher and more durable. Longevity is the goal for me. But thanks for the advice!!

Attachments

• 20230619_164507.jpg
    20230619_164507.jpg
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back