a few i made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one i call the tree rocket,
it spent a week in a tree .
came down after a big rain storm .
it went from a 24 inch long rocket
to a 16 incher .
i put a E motor kit in it.
hope to fly this friday. (if weather lets me )

corpse - nice looking rockets!

have you had a chance to fly any of them yet?

yep

i put a D motor (24 mm) in the US ARMY one it called for a 18 mm.
it went about 1500 + feet
the tree rocket went up about 15-20 times befor i lost it.
in the only tree around ! LOL
hope to shoot the other two off this weekend.

would like to do a night launch.
i got some very small illumisticks (about 1 inch long)
put about 6-7 of them on a streamer sould do the trick.

LOL - ya gotta love those trees!
My Orbtial Transport wound up in the only tree within sight! I had to connect a couple 10' lengths of 1/2" conduit to knock it out of the tree.

night launch seems like a cool idea.

I think I'd like to try a night launch using a very cheap rocket - I would not expect an easy recovery.

if i do it
i'll let you know how it gose.
hoping for this weekend.

Originally posted by corpse
yep

i put a D motor (24 mm) in the US ARMY one it called for a 18 mm.
it went about 1500 + feet
the tree rocket went up about 15-20 times befor i lost it.
in the only tree around ! LOL
hope to shoot the other two off this weekend.

would like to do a night launch.
i got some very small illumisticks (about 1 inch long)
put about 6-7 of them on a streamer sould do the trick.

I too picked up the Patriot rocket from Estes for cheap (the read, white, black, and yellow "US ARMY" rocket) and thought it would make a nice candidate for D engines. Did you have to add any nose weight?

I also have the Apogee Texas Twister and was not terribly enamored with the stops for the spin flaps (those little bits of balsa that you have to line up just right and glue on both the main fin and the spin flap so that when the spin flaps engage, the little stops connect just right and acheive the correct flap angle.) I was considering making a single stop tab and putting in on the spin flap at the correct angle so that the tab stops on the main fin rather than the tabs hitting each other.

Did you encounter any constructability issues with your Twister in this area?

Nice pics :)

Good luck on those night launches :cool: ...I dont think here in California where I'm located, it's allowed, but maybe it is where you are :D

Did you have to add any nose weight?
i put in 1/2 of the weight that came with the kit

Did you encounter any constructability issues with your Twister in this area? no it went right together.
still need to paint and see if it will fly.

NewEntity1 you can't shoot them off at night in cal.
LOL !!
oops i'll play dumb.

how did u fit a d in a bullpup?

and does anyone know where you can buy that bottom peice of the bullpup from? the slanted one? for social studies im doin a report on robbert goddard so i can either make a v2 :)D ) or his prototypes... this is so great...

I hope you realize that you need an FAA wavier for night launches. I'm not trying to ruin your fun but I had to get one for my Estes X-ray. It has LED's in the payload (Thank you Micromister). It wasn't that hard for me to get either, and I live 1/2 mi. from an airport.
BTW the way you have excellent rockets. As for your tree rocket, I own one that has been cut down but I call him "Stumpy".

NewEntity,
I believe you can night lauch anywhere as long as you have a wavier. Well within reason. i.e. and ultra-urban area is highly unlikely, but still worth a shot in the name of rocketry.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
does anyone know where you can buy that bottom peice of the bullpup from? the slanted one?

I would assume you are talking about the Estes Bullpup, right?? I don't know where to get the actual estes boattail, but our very own Sandman made the boattail for my 3X Estes Bullpup...... You might give him a chance to make you a replacement.......

Here's what the one Sandman made for me looks like......

ill figure it out somehow... of anything just use a light cardboard cover...

rabidsheeep

The Estes Bullpup tail cone (that's what it's called BTW) is available right from Estes as the BT-55 to BT-20 (I think) Transition.

Or just call Estes. 800-525-7561 X216. Tell her what you want.

sandman

Back