A few additions to the Std size fleet.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Heres a few new or rebuilt models that have been sitting around the basement rocket lab waiting for a lull in the micro frenzy.
Rebuilding my Ole faithful Goblin.. who's D12 scorched fins and motor mount finally forced my to rebuild the body, it's fleet number is 003 so that should give you an Idea of it's age.. Models 472 and 475 are new but scratch builds of Old kits from "First Fleet" 472 has been missing from the fleet WAY to long Centuri Kc-8 Orion. This one converted for D12 flights and "a rocket of a different Color". I'd intended on painting this model as my "first Fleet" model was in all silver. but after using Rustoleum Night Black Metallic as the base coat... I just couldn't bring myself to completely paint over it, electing to use Rustoleum Silver Metallic as the accent color on the nose, corrugation and fins instead. That ment redrawing the decals and changing there colors. I was a little worried about the red showing up so I printed both red and yellow over metallic Gold which gave them a little more punch.
A BT-70 anniversary Scout-1D, D12 Upscale version of the Estes first production kit is still awaitng for final colors, but should be a neat model to celibrate Estes 50 year anniversary this year. It returns on chute more like the Scout-III but hey it's a fun upscale with 3/4" laminated balsa fins and fake kick back motor retainer hook and hold in wire.
An old Nike-X Scratch rebuild using the original nosecone from a long ago salvaged model.
Lastly a sort of unique two blade sport helicopter model from Venus Rocketry I've been meaning to finish for a couple years. Called the Corkscrew its gonna be a fun 13mm flyer.
All in all a busy painting and decaling weekend.
Hoping to fly at least 5 or 6 of these this weekend at the clubs sport launch...weather permitting.

475p2-sm_Nike-X  Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg

View attachment 476p01-sm_Cork Screw 2-rotor Helicopter (Venus)_01-30-08.JPG

Attachments

• 472p12-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    472p12-sm_Orion (Kc-8) Decaled & Complete_02-10-08.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 473p05-sm_Scout-1D_BaseCoat Black & sleeve_02-01-08.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 7
Nothing wrong with some creative license. Everyone should paint their models as they see fit....that's the great thing about rocketry. No *wrong* way to decorate something.

But, I think the reason it's hard for me to accept it in black, is because I view this model more like a fantasy scale than fantasy sport. Those corrugations, while not true scale, come straight from a real NASA rocket. With the strap ons, and the utility shaped cone... well, they just reinforce the NASA-like appearance. With a few exceptions, we know what the popular color choice for NASA rockets is....it's white. It just plain looks odd to me in metallic black, but that's just my opinion....and we both know what opinions are like!;):lol:

On the other hand, you did a fine job on the build!:)

About the heli....are there any moving parts on that design? How does that thing work?

About the heli....are there any moving parts on that design? How does that thing work?

Yes:
It's sort of a slide pod sorta thing, a 14mm slide body over a 13mm airframe. You may be able to see the burn string just ahead of the rotors held in the pic with masking tape. there are 4 rubber bands, two on the rotors and two on the slide body that move the sleeve/stop forward at burnout allow the rotors to hinge in oposite directions with the vertical fins sorta as stops. The rotors are not airfoiled so I'm not sure of the rotor speed, but i've seen a couple of the prototypes fly, and it seem to be a decent Sport model.

Actually the Orion Nose reminds me of a classic military nuke reentry vehicle, Far removed from anything NASA related. Actually more like a Titan-II missile or maybe the British Black Night nuke missile with extras.
We all know there aree many "other color" real vehicles out there, with many more military missiles having "color" rather then white. As mentioned it's all a mater of our "minds eye" as this model is neither Scale or semi-scale of anything that ever existed, but certainly more Missile then Rocket in origin.

That Orion Paint Scheme is STUNNING! What a fantastic job. The Goblin, one of my personal faves is also well decorated in Autumn colors. Gonna have to build me one of each, after I find some wraps for the Orion.

The finishing on the Orion may not be my cup of tea or how I would've done mine (if I had one) but there's no denying Micro's craftsmanship!

BTW on a side note: thank you forum mods for not allowing the thread to get away and having this place turn into another R.M.R.

Gentlemen when things get a little heated please notify the mods :) I have pruned this thread for reasons that are obvious to me. If anybody has a question please PM me. At the risk of sounding harsh PM's which do not correspond to the guidelines will be dealt with accorrdingly.
Cheers
fred

As always - Outstanding work, they all look great! The Orion is very cool. It's a tough call but I'd have to say my favorite is the Goblin. There's something about that black and orange color scheme. I've got to put that on my build list. :)

Thanks guys:
Even a blind horse gets on the trail once in a while:) I really appreciate the kind words and also those with a differeing opinion, all are welcome. My Hope is that my models Fly well and come back for another flight for years to come:)

Back