A-D engine chooses ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackdaddy

Reaction score
Getting into the 2 stage Semi-scale missle thing.
I have been using estes engines with no problems,
But is there any other engines A-D, that make a little smoke and noise ?

Nick

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
I think www.apogeerockets.com makes composite propellant 18mm D engines. I've not tried them yet, but they gotta make more noise than black powder.:)

I have an AT 18mm rms and some d12-4 reloads... certainly is louder than bp and has much more smoke.

later
Jerryb

is more noise and smoke better than alt? But i suppose this depends on what you're aiming for i like high and fast but any of you know a few engines of this caliber thatll give all 4?

high fast smoke noise?

Probably the loudest and most impressive is the AT RMS 18/20 D13W. They put out a decent sized (for a D motor) flame and thick white smoke. Also a lot more noise than estes. The only problem is the fact that they are RMS motors (so you need to buy the hardware) and the difficulty of finding them. Also, it'll give you very high alt compared to Estes because it is the size of an estes standard (not D) motor, so you can squeeze a D into a rocket that normally will only take a C.

you won't find anything more reliable than the estes motors.

composite motors make more noise, smoke and flame, but can't be staged as easily as the estes-type black powder motors.

Originally posted by Elapid
you won't find anything more reliable than the estes motors.

composite motors make more noise, smoke and flame, but can't be staged as easily as the estes-type black powder motors.
I agree 100% -I don't think that I've ever had an Estes engine fail, not to say that it never happens though. The original & most reliable is still the best choice.

This is true - because the AT has to be lit at the top of the grain, as well as needing much more flame/ pressure to light, they would not work in staging w/out electronics. (I didn't notice that he wanted to stage at first)

Back