A "cute" story...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsexton

Reaction score
I wanted to tell you a little story that happened to me over Thanksgiving Holiday. My 4 year old nephew was visting us from Georgia and he stumbled in to my "rocket room" and his eyes lit up. The next thing I knew he had my Aerotech Initiator in his hands and was saying "3, 2, 1, Blastoff" without any coaching from me.

Well needless to say he and I were getting along quite well and I asked him if he would like to go fly some rockets and he said "YES"! So, I picked out a few model rockets and my Estes launch equipment and we headed up to the local Middle School with my oldest son (22) and my daughter (20) to launch some rockets.

You should have seen the look on my nephew's face when he pushed the button and the first rocket took off. He was so excited! I couldn't get the next rocket ready fast enough. Also, along the way some other families started showing up to run the track or throw the football and before I knew it other kids were saying "Hey look, they're launching rockets!"

Is this a great hobby or what?!?!

Anyone else have any "cute" stories they would like to share?

I got back into rockets when my oldest child was about 2. He started launching modrocs with me, and has a few RTF's of his own now. He's five, has a 2 and a half year old brother, and we've joined a club now. My kids absolutely love it. They routinely countdown and "launch" food that they don't necessarily like, but have to eat into their mouths. Anything remotely "rocket-shaped" gets stood on end, counted down, and launched by both of my children, and it usually comes out of nowhere. We haven't been to a launch for about two months now, and my youngest "launched" his stuffed snowman as I was reading this thread...lol

Originally posted by bsexton
<SNIP> Is this a great hobby or what?!?!

Anyone else have any "cute" stories they would like to share?

Actually, last month Jason (jetra2) and I got together to fly some rockets at a local park. Although we had no kids to bring with us, a bunch of kids playing at the park decided to come join us. After a few flights, they were chasing our rockets and arguing over who got to "push the button." It was great!

Check out our pictures and launch report here -> <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5111">Azalea Launch</a>

...and yes, the hobby IS GREAT!

Thanks for sharing! Gotta take some pictures and capture those moments!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Gotta take some pictures and capture those moments!
Actually I did take some pictures, but I used my 35mm camera instead of the digital. As soon as I get them developed I will post a couple of them.

A long time ago my daughter was 7 years old. She's 31 now.

She built her first rocket.

Picked it out herself and dad helped her build it. An Estes Falcon Commander.
https://www.dars.org/jimz/est1364.htm

She was so proud. So was I. She did a really fantastic job.

She wanted to fly it really bad. "But, honey, It's too windy!"

She won... we flew it. Perfect flight...but it landed on a power line.

She cried and cried. So dad had to be the hero...or at least try.

We walked down the road to it and I pulled out my trusty "Wrist Rocket" sling shot! She had the most disgusted look on her face she was just so mad because that was all dad could come up with.

I took aim...missed by about 15 feet...she just got even madder!

I said wait...let me try again? I picked up the second rock from the gravel road...took aim...I hit the plastic loop on the nose con, broke it off and the rocket came straight down in two pieces )nose cone and body) falling safely into some tall weeds at our feet.

Her mouth dropped...then she threw her arms around my neck.

Dad was the HERO!

sandman

About 5 years ago, I bought my daughter her first rocket for Christmas, an Estes Big Dawg. She had me paint it and decal it just like the box, only instead of red, purple. We had gone to a local airport the following fall(where I used to launch), and she decided to launch it. There was no wind at the levels we had been flying to, so she wanted to see it go really high. I loaded it with a C6-5, put a chute in with a spill hole, and off it went. It caught just enough of a breeze to drop into a thick clump of trees at the edge of the airport. We looked for at least an hour, and couldn't even see it. Two weeks later, after most all of the leaves had fallen, I took the bino's, and finally spotted it. It was only about 25 feet off the ground in a large tree. After throwing many sticks at it, and having no luck, she was getting a little upset. I spotted a small tree, about 15 feet tall, and only about 3 inches diameter, and tried to break it at the trunk. It wouldn't break, so I took out my pocket knife, and started chopping away. 45 minutes later, we finally had her rocket in hand, a little scratched up, but flyable. The hug I got was one of the best I've ever had!!

model rocket $10
launcher $15
batteries $ 5
rocket motors $ 5

that giant smile on your kid's face . . . . . . priceless

Originally posted by powderburner
that giant smile on your kid's face . . . . . . priceless
Roger that powderburner...
When you get right down to it, that's what it's all about. And of course, the smoke and woosh...;)

Back