A Couple of Built-Up Boost Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
Don't have too much to say, just wanted to show these off. The perks of having a laser cutter really shine in the larger bird; the trussed wing looks great and helps with handling while sanding the wing.

Specs, Large Glider:
Span: 500 mm
Area: 4.69 dm^2
Mass: 25 g
Projected Motors: 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B6-2

Specs, Small Glider:
Span: 330 mm
Area: 2.48 dm^2
Mass: 12 g
Projected Motors: 1/2A3-2, A10-320200811_190515.jpg

Brian,

When are they going to fly ? Looking forward to hearing duration times.

BTW - There is a "typo" in your Signature . . . Your last name appears as "Muzek", rather then "Guzek".

Dave F.

Beautiful birds !!! Very jelly here :)
What laser cutter do you have ?
Btw what is the thickness of the leading edges ?

I have an old Full Spectrum 40W Hobby 20x12. 5th gen, I think. The leading edge is made from 3/8" balsa, but carved to ~0.3" thick at the root and about 3/16" at the tip. The leading edge is hand carved with a razor plane and sanding bars.

Hi Brian,

Good looking models, look like carbon fiber booms. What are you using ? Tubes or rods, what thickness?

Jim

Don't have too much to say, just wanted to show these off. The perks of having a laser cutter really shine in the larger bird; the trussed wing looks great and helps with handling while sanding the wing.

Specs, Large Glider:
Span: 500 mm
Area: 4.69 dm^2
Mass: 25 g
Projected Motors: 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B6-2

Specs, Small Glider:
Span: 330 mm
Area: 2.48 dm^2
Mass: 12 g
Projected Motors: 1/2A3-2, A10-3View attachment 427797

I have an old Full Spectrum 40W Hobby 20x12. 5th gen, I think. The leading edge is made from 3/8" balsa, but carved to ~0.3" thick at the root and about 3/16" at the tip. The leading edge is hand carved with a razor plane and sanding bars.
Ok, thank you! Wish you the best in getting them land close by :)

Hi Brian,

Good looking models, look like carbon fiber booms. What are you using ? Tubes or rods, what thickness?

Jim

Small one uses a Hummingbird style balsa boom. Big one uses a DPP Carbon 3mm tube I had laying around. Really wants something bigger, but I had it. 5mm would probably be good. 0.5mm wall.

Last edited:
They look great!! Really beautiful and well made. So jealous Oh the things you can do with a laser cutter.

Transparent Ultracote. Which I'm pretty sure is rebranded Oracover. Tissue would be lighter, of course.

Back