A coupla airgun questions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to keep that accuracy don't use BB's (especially used ones) at all. They wear the rifling. Good shootin by the way.

They kill the rifling? huh. That stinks. I guess Ill have to get some more pellets, wont I?

Over time, yeah it does the rifling no good. But a few here and there won't make any noticable differance if you run out of pellets.

Just got back in from tending our grill... Yes, thats right. We are having a BBQ in Feb, in maine! Were cooking salmon. I wonder how long it will be untill someone calls the police...

Interesting about the rifling... I have already shot several hundred BBs.

I wouldn't worry too much about the BB's. It's not an expensive competition rifle. Just something to keep in mind. Keep it oiled and you'll have fun with it for many years.

Originally posted by DavRedf
Happy shooting Neil.
You could try dragging a large magnet over the ground where your targets are. Most BB's are steel and so the magnet will collect them and save you money.

David

Neil,

Be careful if you recycle your BB's be sure to clean and lube them and pick out the dented, corroded or smashed ones. I spent several hours last week working a recycled BB out of my nephew's Daisy Red Ryder. I had to use an 1/8 inch launch rod and penetrating oil to free the miss-shapen BB from the barrel. Both the launch rod and BB rifle are no worse for wear.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Same thing with me! I used a 1/8" launchrod, pummeled the odd BB to the back, and it was still stuck. I then shot the gun about 200 times. That got the BB out. It was very dented from the launchrod, but the guns OK.

After that I think I will just use NEW BBs. :rolleyes: :eek:

Kind of reminds me of the story about how the rifled barrel got invented. While back when they used lead balls and wadding, everytime the gun was fired, it would leave lead, wadding, and other residue behind on the barrel. After so moderate use in battle, there was so much lead buildup that the next ball got stuck trying to cram it in.

Then the riffled barrel was made. The original idea was to put groves in the barrel to give that lead and residue a place to go. That did not help very much, but they did notice something pecular about it... the ball was somewhat more accurate.... but still not perfect, because the ball only had a semi-tight fit in the barrel, so the grooves were not that effective.

Then a french guy invented the first bullet like we know today. Ogive front, and a skirt in the back (most modern bullets have a flat back, but you still see skirts on .177 BB Pellets, and some BP riffle slugs.... What would happen is when the round is fired, the skirt will expand into the groves... and the round grabed the groves... and spun like a mad man... the first accurate round was invented. Oh... and because it had a straight path, it had a much greater range...

The next battle was a slaughter... the enemy forces were marching in formation that was for the original bp riffles. But the home team had these new bullets. They won the battle before they could get in range to shoot.

Yeowch. Which war was this, again? Sounds pretty nasty... Kerboom:eek:

I was wondering what that skirt thingy was.... Now I know!

BTW, thanx for the history lesson!

Originally posted by Neil
Same thing with me! I used a 1/8" launchrod, pummeled the odd BB to the back, and it was still stuck. I then shot the gun about 200 times. That got the BB out. It was very dented from the launchrod, but the guns OK.

After that I think I will just use NEW BBs. :rolleyes: :eek:

Neil,

That is the exact same technique used! I noticed that there was more than one BB in the barrel and the ones behind eventually pushed the stuck one out.

Great minds think alike:rolleyes: ;)

what did the BB look like once you got it out? Mine was almost entirely squished.:rolleyes:

Oh,thanks a lot.just what i needed,that sucker stairin at me on my desktop! Lets see,alloy flywheel installed,new throttle body,short headers=1500$ use daily...p70 alloy,1500$ use once in a while,what to do?;)

What are you talkin about??:confused:

BB/pellet guns are SO much fun... So easy to take the stress out of a day with... Just make a snowman out of a big snoball (the kind you would lob at someone in a snowball fight), a medium snowball and a golf-ball sized snowball.

LOL... This is the best part... Load a pellet, pump ten times (that gets you 650FPS, BTW), put snowman's head in crosshairs, pull trigger... LOL. The head *EXPLODES*! Just like that! snow everywhere, snowmans head turns to dust! Now thats stress relief!;) :D :p :kill:

if you begin to notice a pile of dead animals and injured people behind your snowman.....its time to put a wall up to catch those bullets :kill: hah....perfect smiley

Dont worry, I have something to catch em, LOL!:kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill:

Great minds think alike:rolleyes: ;)

what did the BB look like once you got it out? Mine was almost entirely squished.:rolleyes:

The first BB that came out had a bunch of dents in it and was more mushroom shaped than round!

I was just outside shootin a rotting plum or something, and after I was done, I looked at teh ground and I saw some pellets... I guess I was hittin the pit... The pellets all had thier noses squished off!:eek: I guess that IS pretty soft lead...

OK. Heres the deal. I just spent $50 on a multi-pump pnumatic air rifle, and NOW I have fallen in love with some CO2 semi-automatic that can shoot 625FPS. Heres the Link to this bad boy

How silly am I? I get this great pump air rifle that can shoot like heck, but somehow I still go looking at CO2 rifles... I guess I am drawn to the non-pumping thing. I like the idea of just pulling the trigger and having a pellet fly out, over and over and over agian:D :cool: .

One question remains: Do I want the synthetic stock (which costs a few bucks less) or the wood stock? And if I go with the wood stock, do I want a .22 or a .177? descisions, descisions, descisions... I think I will stick to .177. I dont want to cut paper towel tubes in half with one shot, I want them to last a LITTLE WHILE, at least!

But the .22s have 20 pellet clips, the .177s have 12 pellet clips. Do I want to be able to shred 20 paper towel tubes in a matter of seconds, or do I want to put holes in 12 in a matter of seconds?? Life is so complicated... I think I want the synthetic stock, .177 barrel, and a few dozen CO2 canisters. Anyone know how many shots one can get out of one 12 gram canister????:cool: :) ;) :D

Note - contents NOT SUGGESTED IN A NEW AIR RIFLE

I picked up up an old BB gun for $5 at a garage sale. I tore it down and rebuilt it, but it was old and wouldn't fire accurately. So I turned it in to a leaf pile burning igniter and squirrel scarer. An old trick I learned for a friend to see if a rifle would fire straight was to pump it up, then drop a strike anywhere match down the barrel. When it fires you can see the flight path much better.

Now if you fire the match at a hard surface when it hits the surface the match sticks and lights :) Loads of fun!

So now every fall when we burn a pile of leaves that you could hide a Hummer under we use that. We somehow always manage to soak the leaves in Gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel, and anything else flammable to get the dry leaves going :) Then we put a 2x4 in the pile and we shoot away. Usually only takes one or two shots and the pile goes *poof*. Then we sit back and marvel at the huge flame we created and wonder - you think those leaves will get to the field over there...Nahhhh.

As for scaring squirells I load one down the tube and shoot at the tree or the fence where they are residing. (They have a nasty habit of eating all the bark of a limb and then the limb dies) So far have scared quite a few off - the pop flash smoke do a good job.

Again, don't try this in a new gun - I only use my $5 one.

Edward

Another post - About the CO2 Cartridge ones

I have a Crossman that uses them. I didn't like those tiny cartridges so I went and bought a 20oz paintball tank and remote system. (This lets you have the tank in a different place than attached to the gun) Spent $30.

Then I took the closure to where the CO2 cartridge went and machined it to fit the remote system. Now when I open the tank I can shoot all I want and not run out. I got the 20 oz tank filled about 6 months ago and am still going strong. Also, you don't have as much of a power drop with 20 oz of CO2 vs the small cartridge.

Also, the fps is up considerably but the pressure is still under what the parts are made for :)

I guess I have too much time if I'm doing stuff like this, but lately this has replaced my $5 squirell scarer.

I also made a really really long clip for the gun (50 pellets) and once in a while a squirell who is stealing our fruit or vegetables gets a couple shots across the bow. Then if he doesn't heed the warning (I really don't like having to kill the little buggers) I let him have it. Only had to do this once or twice.

Edward

Dang, thats a durn good idea! Ill have to try that sometime... I have a Daily Red Ryder that I am not using... I gotta try it now! Yer smart!;)

Now THAT is how you light a bonfire!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Arnt the small ones 12 OZ? There shouldent be too much difference, should there?

I think I will try the small ones first, and if they dont work, Ill buy a 20 OZ tank...

The small little canisters are 12 GRAM. These tanks are the size of a pringles can and hold 20 OUNCES of CO2. 48 times the CO2. The cost to refill my tank was $6. I also use it for paintball. Most have an on/off valve so you can turn it off, shoot the CO2 out of the system and then take the tank off.

Also, remember if you get a 20 OZ tank you also need a remote system. Most paintball places have this and then you need to machine the closure so that it will fit the airgun - it took me two weeks to gather all the parts and machine it. If you ask your paintball store they probably will help you out - I find paintball guys a little more lax and not as strict as the guys at the gun stores.

Edward

Oh..... Huh. Theres some kind of airgun that runs on air, from a SCUBA tank... Ill check that out...

SCUBA Tanks are much more expensive than CO2 Paintball tanks, and require testing and I know filling is much more expensive - plus, do you want to lug a 3 foot tall tank around? A 20 oz CO2 one fits in a holster they sell with it on your hip...much easier and less $$$ than a SCUBA. Plus, CO2 are only about 750 PSI, while scuba tanks go to 2500 and some more.

Edward

Well, I just thought it'd be handy cause my dad has a lot of scuba tanks lying around. His company does a lot of dive work.

Though your 20OZ thing sounds pretty good. How hard was it to make? Which parts did you use?

I use the Crosman 66 Powermaster air rifle. pellets are better, they make better snowman explosions:cool:

Do you know if the Crosman 780 (or is it 760) is very good? it comes with glasses, 3 tubes filled with BBS and a box full of pellets, and of course the rifle. It is 57 dollars.

My parents had one of those one time... They had some fun with it. They found it on the side of the road while on vacation. They could shoot it from one end of a barn to the other! Aparently my mom was a pretty good shot... Ill have to get her out into the backyard to see if she REALLY is!:D

Id reccomend the Powermaser 66. Get teh one with the scope. that thing shoots like a bat outa heck!:cool: :eek: :kill: Dang accurate, too! I got a group of 5 pellets (one clip) into a spot the size of a DIME with that sucker!:cool: :kill:

Get the Powermaster. It costs a little more, but is sure worth it! You can get anywhere from below 200FPS to over 650FPS with it, too!:cool: It good for exploding snowballs, too! it also comes with a clip for holding pellets, a really cool sight (that actually works!), and it can take BBs or pellets! Pellets are cool... when they hit something hard like a plum pit, thier noses flatten! they also go right through the pit, too!:cool: Gotta go have dinner! more later! GET THE POWERMASTER!:cool:

Do I want to be able to shred 20 paper towel tubes in a matter of seconds, or do I want to put holes in 12 in a matter of seconds?? Life is so complicated... I think I want the synthetic stock, .177 barrel, and a few dozen CO2 canisters.

I got real tired real fast of buying/changing CO2 cannisters. I think the pump will give you more training in marksmanship just because it will slow you down and make you concentrate a bit more on each shot.

I really like .177 and can see little practical need for .22. Also, the bigger pellets are a little harder to find. If you need more power than the .177 offers, you may as well step up to a .22 rimfire.

If you want to play Rambo and spray pellets all over the countryside, it sounds like the paintball-airbottle-conversion is the way to go? Be warned: this habit gets expensive (I once got the chance to burn off $10 worth of 5.56 ammo in one second----and that did not include the price of dry-cleaning my pants afterward).

Rambo? Well, I guess. Powderburner - yes, it does get expensive. After I converted the Crossman I decided that I had had enough fun (though still like it for in the city limits shooting) and stepped up to a Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mark II. Both are .22 rimfire. I really like the 10/22 and the Mark II is a great little target pistol. Now I have to buy 22 shells - 550 for $7. Once you get in it keeps you there - kind of like rockets. :)

I totally agree that a pump is best to learn accuracy. I just got a Model 700 30-06 and I love that rifle - bolt action and it is a great thing to shoot. I really like the Bolt Action cause it forces me to be a lot more conscience of shooting - and that the shells are more $$ and I don't just keep pulling the trigger like on my 10/22.

Do we really ever grow up?

Edward

Back