A cluster lovers cluster...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm spending today finishing up the new BT-80 based cluster kits and it reminded me of a scratch build design that uses the 7-18mm cluster in a BT-80, that I never got around to building... I don't have the design in electronic form (that was before the days of computers... ....YES, there *was* a "day before computers", you geeks! :p )

But the concept is the same...

...anyone game???? (see attachment)

:D :D :D

Very nice! :D

You'll be all day with ignitors/QuickMatch, prepping that! :D

Silly Question: Is it stable as-is, or will it need fins?( /me thinks fins needed)

Impressive. It'll be a pain in the neck to get everything to sync properly. Pyrogen would be very useful. Should be a very impressive/expensive launch.

Why does this remind me on one of those Russian huge number of liquid-fueled rockets/missiles in production during the 1950's and 60's? The designations slip my mind, but they predate the N-1 program, and were used during the Vostok/Soyuz/Gragarrin (I know I slaughtered that name) era.

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

Originally posted by ResearchWorm

Why does this remind me on one of those Russian huge number of liquid-fueled rockets/missiles in production during the 1950's and 60's? The designations slip my mind, but they predate the N-1 program, and were used during the Vostok/Soyuz/Gragarrin (I know I slaughtered that name) era.

The R7 family (developed versions are still in use btw).
It's because there's a superficial resemblance, this design having clustered motors in a cluster of tubes, the R7 has four clustered strap on boosters each with a cluster of motors.

Originally posted by jflis
.. and it reminded me of a scratch build design that uses the 7-18mm cluster in a BT-80, that I never got around to building...

...anyone game???? (see attachment)

No you can't enter that in the DOM ;).

Send me the parts and i'll build it :D

Jim,

I'd love to see it fly, but I'm not so sure I'd love to foot the bill for 28 motors for a single flight!

If you want to do something a little catchy with it (as if it wasn't bizarre enough), you could try canting the motors (a la The Deuce) or orienting the clusters slightly twisted so the entire rocket has a straight trajectory but it spins. (Launch lug would run down the center.)

WW

PS: Wouldn't this put you up over the L1 Cert threshold for total impulse, Jim?

You could use any 28 B motors you want and the total impulse would be less than a G motor (140 n/s max). C's - probably not (280n/s) which is in the range of a good size H. As for ignition - flash pans, anyone?

well, *first* of all, *I* have no intention of building this beast LOL but was just reminicing about some old design ideas.

And yes, it would need some big-honkin' fins. In my original design, I hadn't gotten to the fins yet...

Impressive. It'll be a pain in the neck to get everything to sync properly. Pyrogen would be very useful. Should be a very impressive/expensive launch.

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

Actually, if I recall correctly, that was part of the motivation for the design. Another motivation were early concepts of the NOVA design, one of which had 4 Saturn V first stages in a cluster...

I want. :D

Whatcha got for fins on that sucker? :D

Proabably needs a solid steel nose cone to balance out all those motors...

Designs without computers? You can do that!? :confused: You mean, like on this funny thin white stuff my mom calls "paper"? Weird... Would you actually use... a... wahtsitcalled... "pencil", to write it down by hand? Strange.... I think i might have seen something about it in some old science textbook I found in the dump published in the 70s... It mentioned something about doing calculations by hand, without a calculator... It was like something from a bygone age...

:D :D

Seriously, thouhg, I think its a great idea. An expensive, rescource-consuming, warehouse-filling idea, but it looks like fun to fly! That thing must need one heck of a clip-whip...

I think Jim is just hinting about a future kit release ;)...

Should come out about the same time as his Plutonium Powered Launch Controller.

Just so long as we don't start seeing rocketeers wearing bracelets that say, "WWCD" (What Would Carl Do?)

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Just so long as we don't start seeing rocketeers wearing bracelets that say, "WWCD" (What Would Carl Do?)

WW

LOL!

That is a sweet design! I need a *good* excuse to try out one of those flash pans!

Originally posted by Neil

Designs without computers? You can do that!? :confused: You mean, like on this funny thin white stuff my mom calls "paper"? Weird... Would you actually use... a... wahtsitcalled... "pencil", to write it down by hand? Strange.... I think i might have seen something about it in some old science textbook I found in the dump published in the 70s... It mentioned something about doing calculations by hand, without a calculator... It was like something from a bygone age...

oh man, i still have (and use) my mechanical pencil, erasing shield and resin bag for removing faint lines from the velum... Sill roll my pencil as I draw a line too...

LOL

as long as the total impulse is less than 320Ns it doesnt need a cert. according to the nar rules for model rockets.

oh man, i still have (and use) my mechanical pencil, erasing shield and resin bag for removing faint lines from the velum... Sill roll my pencil as I draw a line too...

LOL

Haven't drawn on vellum for years, but still have a pad. All the drafting stuff I have left is a brush that is now used to clean dust off of rockets.

Still roll my pencil as I draw a line too...

LOL

I managed to escape from that by buying one of those extra-fine mechanical pencils. Still have to turn it regularly to avoid the "flat spot" but most of my work has it hitting the paper at 90 degrees anyway (alongside a ruler).

My mom gave me her old slide rule, and I used it frequently on those tests when no calculators were allowed. Before the tests I always asked my teachers if I could slipstick it, and they looked at me and said, "If you can use it, you can use it." I think they were surprised that I came up with answers faster than the button-mashers quite regularly, too.

WW

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

Here is a link to a paper model N-1

https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

Originally posted by Neil
I want. :D

Whatcha got for fins on that sucker? :D

Proabably needs a solid steel nose cone to balance out all those motors...

:D :D

Seriously, thouhg, I think its a great idea. An expensive, rescource-consuming, warehouse-filling idea, but it looks like fun to fly! That thing must need one heck of a clip-whip...

is there any other way?????????????????????????????:D

well, it may not exceed the impulse limit, but 28 "C" motors *would* exceed the propelant mass limit of 125 grams. 28 C motors works out to 302.4 grams of propelant...

Back