A Brief History of Moon Hoaxes - Why do people still believe in them?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily- look up Cargo Cult. On some islands during WWII, the natives saw the planes landing at US bases and offloading all their cargo. Because the natives didn't understand large scale manufacturing and shipping, they thought the planes were delivering the cargo from the gods. That the US had actually conned the gods into giving the natives' share to the US troops. So the natives built their own airstrips and control towers (from native materials - they thought the towers were alters, so it was the form that mattered. Then they waited for their share of the gods' cargo to be delivered to them.

Bottom line - those who are ignorant, whether willfully or otherwise, will find ways to rationalize their viewpoints. Start using space travel for shipping, travel, and tourism and the conspiracy theorists will simply adjust their conspiracies to either encompass the new information or rationalize it into their pet theories. No matter WHAT evidence you might present, their theories are right and you are just part of the conspiracy.

Good point. I guess even if you took them into space and showed them the earth, they could claim that they were brainwashed and mind-controlled. You're right. There is no such thing as educating the irrational.

As the recent anniversary of 9-11 approached I was shocked to see how many people I knew that still believe it was all a government conspiracy and the World Trade Center was deliberately destroyed with a controlled detonation. After watching and reading several engineering studies on how it happened, it makes me sad to hear people still insist that "there's scientific proof" that a plane crash couldn't do that.

As the recent anniversary of 9-11 approached I was shocked to see how many people I knew that still believe it was all a government conspiracy and the World Trade Center was deliberately destroyed with a controlled detonation. After watching and reading several engineering studies on how it happened, it makes me sad to hear people still insist that "there's scientific proof" that a plane crash couldn't do that.

I got into it once with a 9-11 "truther" that said there was no way an airplane could penetrate a steel and concrete building like the WTC, the engines would rip off the wings before it went in.
He was wrong and I told him why.

I've been to the scene of a plane crash, when I lived in Reston VA in the late 70's. A twin engine private plane lost its bearing in a dense evening fog trying to land at Dulles, and hit a row of townhouses.
It hit the end unit, totally demolishing it. What I found bizarre was down slope the next row of townhouses had a brick end wall facing the first townhouse that was hit.
There were two big holes in the brick wall. That's where the two engines ended up...after going through the first townhouse.

Given that experience seeing the aftermath of a plane crash into brick masonry structure and given the WTC was a steel frame structure - I have no problem with the official explanation.
That, and the fact that on 9-11 - I was in a County meeting with the building inspector watching the towers burn...the head of building inspections was shaking his head and said if they can't get that fire out, that building is going to collapse.
He was of course correct in his assessment.
The conspiracy people are not.

Last edited:
I fear that too many people no longer understand, or, probably more correctly, want to understand the concept of Occam's Razor. In other words, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In the case of conspiracy theories, one has to spin a web of so many illogical or improbable "facts" together to build the conspiracy that it should collapse with more ease than a house of cards. It really is true that you can't cure willful stupidity.

Another part involved with conspiracy theory is you can't prove a negative. and they don't need to prove their statements.

Assume there is a conspiracy that the Joker has stolen the US Constitution and he is trying to defend himself.

Joker: - I have an alibi. I was with some friends.
Conspiracy:- They were part of the plot as well...

Joker: - But the Constitution is still on display
Conspiracy: - The Government is covering it up and replaced it with a copy

Joker:- What makes you think this even happened?
Conspiracy: - We read about it on the Internet

:facepalm:

I have watched these people on YT, even seen some of you defending the truth. It is crazy bs like this that schools are trying and failing at preventing, even in some cases upholding. Armchair scientists arguing with PhD Professors about why the earth rotates the way it does, the earth is flat, rockets are hoaxes. It is an epidemic.

I have watched these people on YT, even seen some of you defending the truth. It is crazy bs like this that schools are trying and failing at preventing, even in some cases upholding. Armchair scientists arguing with PhD Professors about why the earth rotates the way it does, the earth is flat, rockets are hoaxes. It is an epidemic.

Unfortunately the "internet hive mind" as I hear it is called is given more credibility by these internet nit wits than basic facts and common sense.

You want to a see a good argument?
I'll bump this for those who haven't seen it.
If you have the time, this flat earther "call in" is royally handed his ass in an excellent demonstration of critical thinking. It is an hour long debate where every pronouncement by this flat earther is basically deconstructed.

Highly recommended:

Really gets good at 51:17 if you can't watch the whole thing.
The grand conspiracy comes down at 57:44 and its very revealing as to these people's motivation.

[video=youtube;hsOz_J6tJVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOz_J6tJVU[/video]

Last edited:
Back