A Brief History of Moon Hoaxes - Why do people still believe in them?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that it would have been easer and cheaper to go to the moon than to hoax it.

My brother-in-law believes the earth is flat and the moon landings were a hoax. He went on a long monologue last night about how people can't physically prove the earth is curved (any pictures that show it are from fisheye lenses) and that all of the pictures from the moon landings are doctored and NASA has admitted this.

I pretend to listen as I design rockets or rocket subsystems in my head.

You're right, it was Buzz.

It wasn't really Buzz Aldrin. It was an actor punching a stuntman, and the whole thing was totally faked on a Hollywood sound stage. In fact, it was the same actor who played Buzz Aldrin when they faked landing on the moon.

It wasn't really Buzz Aldrin. It was an actor punching a stuntman, and the whole thing was totally faked on a Hollywood sound stage. In fact, it was the same actor who played Buzz Aldrin when they faked landing on the moon.

"Okay, Buzz ... if that really is your name." --Homer Simpson

Good one...LOL

it was actually this buzz

Buzz_toy_story_3_zpsi81soh75.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Isn't that how Stanley Kubrick got his start? the fudning for 2001? A brown envelope from the government? And the lunar sound stage was already made, so why waste it, why not use it for a movie..

And aren't most leaders some lizard aliens?

And what if he did take the blue pill?

Here's another conspiracy story that won't go away. A town's tourism income depends upon that.

The Roswell Incident and Project Mogul

https://www.csicop.org/si/show/roswell_incident_and_project_mogul

USAF Report - The Roswell Report: Case Closed (231 pages with period photos and newspaper clippings, extensive bibliography)

https://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-101027-030.pdf

Project Mogul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mogul

Excerpts:

Project Mogul (sometimes referred to as Operation Mogul) was a top secret project by the US Army Air Forces involving microphones flown on high-altitude balloons, whose primary purpose was long-distance detection of sound waves generated by Soviet atomic bomb tests. The project was carried out from 1947 until early 1949. The project was moderately successful, but was very expensive and was superseded by a network of seismic detectors and air sampling for fallout, which were cheaper, more reliable, and easier to deploy and operate.

Roswell incident

In the summer of 1947 a Project Mogul balloon crashed in the desert near Roswell, New Mexico. The subsequent military cover-up of the true nature of the balloon and burgeoning conspiracy theories from UFO enthusiasts led to a celebrated "UFO" incident.

If we have UFO's how come there is no sound barrier herd when they are there and then gone in a instant. I do believe in them but in the story's told of eye witness cases they never say there was a sonic boom when they just vanished. can it be the shape or can they just disappear and move along at a normal speed.

Hoaxers will be hoaxers. It is so frustrating because, as discussed here, you cannot convince them otherwise. They are totally and completely convinced and will not let any evidence sway them.

I decided to engage with one of them on a YouTube video comment thread and kept throwing stuff at him just to see how far he would go and he kept coming up with BS response after BS response, along with name calling (real mature). If they only knew how dumb they appeared to literally everyone else...but they will never know because they are so convinced they are correct. Argh, it frustrates me to write about it!!

The psychology of the conspiracy theorist is very interesting though. Certain people are definitely prone to them -- a person who believes one conspiracy theory likely believes many others, at least in my experience. Don't get me started on chemtrails....

I don't believe in moon hoaxes, but I do believe in Moon Hooch.......

[video=youtube;3n6Ra-K7us8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n6Ra-K7us8[/video]

ssix

Moon Hooch rocks!! Talk about a new and unique style of music.

You really believe that?? Then why do you do rocketry?? If you think the moon landing was a hoax then you are really lost.

Quite sure he is being facetious...

If we have UFO's how come there is no sound barrier herd when they are there and then gone in a instant. I do believe in them but in the story's told of eye witness cases they never say there was a sonic boom when they just vanished. can it be the shape or can they just disappear and move along at a normal speed.
Well, there's an answer to Fermi's Paradox (if intelligent, technological life is common, why haven't we seen any of them), one of many answers, that makes the point made by Arthur C. Clarke that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." It wasn't long ago that we thought we knew what all of the universe was made of - baryonic matter and energy - and only recently have we discovered that we don't actually know what 96% of it is made of. The human race has this tendency to visualize itself far above where it should be on the knowledge scale. As one scientist said, "The more we learn, the more we realize we don't know."

That one answer to Fermi's Paradox? If alien technological civilizations exist, they could easily be millions or billions of years advanced from us. If they visit and don't want to be seen, they won't be due to that "magic" technology. Same for our pretty much pointless radio SETI search which could only detect our radio emissions no further than one light year away. A scientist said we will soon be effectively invisible to such searches by aliens due to rapidly advancing, lower power comm tech, so we could expect the same from more advanced civilizations. Also, consider the extremely narrow window of opportunity to detect us by our radio emissions.

So, it's likely the only way we'd be able to detect them is via some evidence of a Dyson Sphere, via ultra-high power signals intentionally scanned into every direction, but smart civilizations are aware that they're in an unknown neighborhood and would probably keep quiet, and via the detection of unnatural planetary atmosphere composition.

But to claim that just because we haven't been able to detect anyone else is evidence of their rarity or nonexistence, I don't buy that. Our ability to "see and hear" is laughably crude if you think about it.

Anyone see the article in popular mechanics last month I think? Cover story and interesting report on a conspiracy theory cruise. Gets more and more terrifying as it goes on...good read.

You really believe that?? Then why do you do rocketry?? If you think the moon landing was a hoax then you are really lost.

You didn't catch the second part where I said the discovery of America was a hoax and then did a face palm???? And list that I live in Ohio. I figured everybody would get the joke.

You didn't catch the second part where I said the discovery of America was a hoax and then did a face palm???? And list that I live in Ohio. I figured everybody would get the joke.

Never say "everybody." :wink:

The easiest way to get rid of moon landing conspiracy BS is to ask if they think the Soviets were part of the conspiracy, if they think this could have been kept from the Soviets who would have had every reason to expose the fraud for political reasons.

I used to use that approach with these nitwits - I brought that up in an attempt to have them use some common sense.
Unfortunately - they DO believe the Soviets were in on the conspiracy.
They claimed the Soviets kept quiet in a deal for wheat during a drought or some such nonsense.

When I was told by these people we have never been beyond low earth orbit, due to the deadly Van Allen belts (they often cite that recent NASA video where they claim NASA admitted as much) I asked them why - if that was true - did the soviets spend billions on designing and building the N-1?

They said that was all fake too.
The conspiracy always just has to get bigger with these people to hold up.

I don't waste much time discussing it anymore...I just post this link:
https://www.clavius.org/

Last edited:
[video=youtube;5MkM0j_fqt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MkM0j_fqt4[/video]

"We're not going to show impact, we will be on a delay." :rofl:

The easiest way to get rid of moon landing conspiracy BS is to ask if they think the Soviets were part of the conspiracy, if they think this could have been kept from the Soviets who would have had every reason to expose the fraud for political reasons.
The US and USSR had a deal. The USSR would not expose the US Moon landing hoax to Western people on condition the USA didn't expose the USSR Moon landing hoax to the Soviet people.

This is the Moon landing which the Soviets saw:
[video=youtube;55VeMPrzDRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55VeMPrzDRc[/video]

Of course, there were conspiracy theorists in the Soviet Union as well, who pointed out discrepancies such as the lighting, or the question of who operated the camera taking the video, just as there were in the USA. The Soviet Union had its own way of dealing with such conspiracy theorists, involving a one-way trip to Siberia.

The US hoax was more elaborate. To simulate the effects of the low gravity astronauts would have experienced on the Moon, they filmed the whole thing on Mars.

It is also true that rockets don't work in space, but that doesn't matter because the Earth is flat. To launch a spacecraft, you just drop it off the edge. This is why Britain used to launch its spacecraft from Australia, until the Americans offered the Australians more money.

Flying saucers are real. So are aliens. And they have marital problems just like us. When Mrs. Alien gets angry with Mr. Alien, she throws crockery around. If Mr. and Mrs. Alien live in Alien Australia, some of it goes over the edge, and occasionally ends up on Earth. When we say "flying saucers", we mean it. "Flying cups" and "flying gravy jugs" just don't sound as good.

Eventually, if commercial spaceflight becomes commonplace this conspiracy theory will have to be replaced with something else.

Not necessarily- look up Cargo Cult. On some islands during WWII, the natives saw the planes landing at US bases and offloading all their cargo. Because the natives didn't understand large scale manufacturing and shipping, they thought the planes were delivering the cargo from the gods. That the US had actually conned the gods into giving the natives' share to the US troops. So the natives built their own airstrips and control towers (from native materials - they thought the towers were alters, so it was the form that mattered. Then they waited for their share of the gods' cargo to be delivered to them.

Bottom line - those who are ignorant, whether willfully or otherwise, will find ways to rationalize their viewpoints. Start using space travel for shipping, travel, and tourism and the conspiracy theorists will simply adjust their conspiracies to either encompass the new information or rationalize it into their pet theories. No matter WHAT evidence you might present, their theories are right and you are just part of the conspiracy.

Back