A break from computer modeling

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Just recently I noticed something about the rockets I had been designing and building. They seemed to be "tube and fin" rockets (Blasphemy in the Halls of Pem-Tech), and were becoming more so as time marched on.
A brief analysis showed that I had become too dependant on Rocksim, and had begun to design through Rocksim colored glasses.
Now, don't get me wrong, the program is fantastic and a very valuable tool. But what good is the tool if the imagination using it has been stifled?
Two weeks ago I sat down at my bench without any preconcieved notions and no Rocksim. The computer was there, I mean I can't live without my laptop.
*twitch*
*twitch*
I don't have a laptop problem...
I am in complete control.
:roll:

Yeah right.

Anyway....
Here are two of the rockets that came out of the Computer Modeling Free session.

First, "the Gorgon"

Gorgon_1325_800x500txt.jpg

She consists of a Semroc BC-1043 nosecone (topped with three short sections of toothpick), a short length of Series 10 BT, a S-10 to BT-60 balsa transition and a short length of BT-60. The after section is a 1" length of BT-80 that supports the poster board wings at their midpoint.
The reverse cresent wings, connected to segments of Bt-5 at the tips, these segments are topped by Hartle resin NC's.
She has a single 24mm motor mount but I also built another version that has dual 18mm motor mounts.
So far she hasn't flown, but I hope to see her madien flight at Southern Thunder 2010.

The final finish will have gold highlights over the purple base coat. And, by the way, this was the second model I have painted with an airbrush. It took quite a few coats but I finally got it covered.

Here is the second product to come from my computer free designing.
Right now she doesn't have an official name but we call her "Code Name Kran".

CodenameKran_1277.jpg

Forgive the horrendous paintjob.....
My intent was to finsh it out in a Vorlon type of organic paintjob.
As you can tell, this was my first attempt to paint with an airbrush. The florescent green went on fine, but the black squiggles didn't come off as planned.

Structurally she is a BT-60 NC on a short section of BT-60 with a balsa transition to BT-50. A balsa transition back to a short section of BT-60 and capped off with a balsa boattail down to a 24mm motor mount. The 18" section pf BT-50 runs therought the airframe. Wings and fin are balsa with assorted BT-5 pods topped with Hartle resin nosecones.

Last edited:
Nice, Rocksims good, imagination and a free hand can be better

Looks real good, maybe you need to step back from the computer more ;)

Thingt about airbrushes is they are at their best doing detail and not for base coat painting. For that try a detail gun. It has a like 1 cup capacity and is smaller version for the quart can sprayer. I have seen them for under $20 from Harbour Freight.

Oh, the Vorlon looking ship, like the plastic model shows, Vorlon ships change the base color over the surface several times.

Other than that really nice rockets:cyclops:

Nice Layne I really like the Gorgon! I have a few scratches I need to build, but I make a habit of at least having a paper sketch before firing up RockSim, that way if I run into a constraint from the program I don't change the idea, and wind up with something I didn't intend. (not that the unintended result is always bad just not necessary what you wanted) Can't wait to hear how they fly!

Looks real good, maybe you need to step back from the computer more ;)

Thingt about airbrushes is they are at their best doing detail and not for base coat painting. For that try a detail gun. It has a like 1 cup capacity and is smaller version for the quart can sprayer. I have seen them for under $20 from Harbour Freight.

Oh, the Vorlon looking ship, like the plastic model shows, Vorlon ships change the base color over the surface several times.

Other than that really nice rockets:cyclops:

I may do that....
Thanks...

$20 for a spray gun???
Are they any good? Do they last?

You know, you are right about the VOrlon ship, I hadn't noticed changing under coat.

I may do that....
Thanks...

$20 for a spray gun???
Are they any good? Do they last?

You know, you are right about the VOrlon ship, I hadn't noticed changing under coat.

Mine's 10 years old and they are rebuildable. I would suggest an in-line pressure regulator, the kind that attaches to the gun, for final regulation of the air. Just hold the sprayer handel down for a second to drop the line pressuer down to where you want it and then spray the paint.

https://search.harborfreight.com/cp...age=1&resultsPerPage=10&resultsPerPageBottom= is the page with the gun, the one called Touch-up Spray Gun at $13.99.

I'd suggest getting Xylol to clean the gun, I get mine right from Ace Hardware.

One of the tricks for cleaning is when you spray the thinner through the gun to clean it wad up some cloth and loosely/firmly(hard to describe) hold the cloth over the spray vents and like spray into the cloth, point being to create a backflushing action. Cleaning these guns is how you get long life from them.

With controls for both air flow and paint flow you can acheave near air-brush fineness with spray gun volume

Last edited:
Back