A BOSS Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
BOSS Build or BOSS Gallery? "YOU make the call!"

Being a Boy Scout, I was prepared, and bought 3 BOSS' from AC Supply - just in case!

3-BOSSes.jpg

All parts were in great shape. The balsa was fairly heavy. :)

BOSS01.jpg

The big decal will be fun! As @billeblurzz suggests in this thread: I will try to apply decal all at once, instead of cutting it in half, like the instructions suggests.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/any-news-on-estes-b-o-s-s-availability.173046/post-2398290
BOSS02.jpg

The stock engine tube was pretty short! I choose a longer tube, and cut it down an inch? I used a screw-on motor retainer too.

BOSS03.jpg

15-min epoxy and Elmers used through-out the build.

BOSS04.jpg

I 3d printed a 24mm baffle in PETG. Took a while to dial in the baffles weight.

BOSS05.jpg

Parts ready. Baffle ready to epoxy in. No spirals were filled, no balsa was filled in! As @kurin says: life's too short! :p

BOSS06.jpg

The included jig for the 2 (engine?) tubes was nice, if not a bit awkward to hold everything together while the glue dried. I tacked it on w thin CA, then applied Elmers glue joints.

BOSS07.jpg

I used 300# Kevlar. I go to put 1 drop of glue on the knot, but end up covering the knot w glue :eyesroll:

BOSS08.jpg

I used 4 rocket lengths of 1/4 inch flat elastic. The 4th length is to tie all the knots and loops. The anchor on the nose cone is the weakest I've ever seen (I hope it gets lost actually!)

BOSS09.jpg

The nose cone had a very loose fit, so I smeared thick CA around the inside of the body tube. The elastic is tied directly to Kevlar. The elastic will be easy to replace, if needed.

BOSS10.jpg

I wanted to put bigger launch lugs on, but I'm out of the bigger (what?) 3/8 inch lugs. I will put the stock lug on.

Please feel free to post your own BOSS'!

Nice build thread. I’ve been waiting for someone to do one of these.

I’m on the fence as to whether or not I want to buy The kit but after seeing it put together, I think I’m gonna order one

Last edited:
Time for an update.

Construction complete. 2 coats of gloss white Rusto 2X Paint and Primer hanging right-side up. 2 coats hanging up-side down. Will put flat black in middle section.

BOSS11.jpg

Cutting decals w a (2-rocket used) Xacto knife left tears along the backing. I used scissors to cut out the rest of the decals.

BOSS12.jpg

I try to cut as close as possible to the edge. Not sure how I put that big slice down the big decal?

BOSS13.jpg

Like previously mentioned, I, too decided to put the big decal on in one piece. Used lotsa bubbles and very warm water. Estes decals backing paper has been hard to pull off the decals lately. The "SCC7107" decal was in water for 65 seconds. It still resisted coming off, and I dunked it for 30 more seconds. The big decal soaked for 2 minutes and came off decently (I would soak it for 30 more seconds next time). It went on pretty well. The trimmed edges, did, just fit inside the cardboard disk on the top of the rocket. (What is that top part on the Real ship anyway? Solar panels? Landing pad for Starship? :) )

BOSS14.jpg

All decals, that I know of, are on. With an (almost) all white rocket, decals sure make the rocket look beautiful and stands out!

BOSS15.jpg

But where do these 2 rascals go? Searched box and instructions with my good eyes and light - cannot find a clue?! Just guess, I guess?

BOSS16.jpg

The decal on the right looks like it may be a thruster assembly? Maybe I'll put that on the front nose cone?

Edit: I've had permanent marker run when I applied Minwax Polycrylic over it. I'll used paint pens for the round "windows"? on the front section.

I do have to add that the tail fin decals are very long. I trimmed both down to the nub, and one still wrap over the end of the fin! Maybe I sanded the fin down to much? (I don't sand root edge much if all)

Question - the box artwork appears to show something yellow and black on the front of the pod tubes. I don't see anything on yours. What am I missing? Or are they for show and get removed for flight??
1678836680550.png1678836607154.png

Nice work! That's a fine looking build, and a great new (old) design by Estes.

Sorry, I'm late on this discussion!
Question - the box artwork appears to show something yellow and black on the front of the pod tubes. I don't see anything on yours. What am I missing? Or are they for show and get removed for flight??
View attachment 568691View attachment 568690

I did leave those disks off the front end of the tubes. I want to see how it'll fly without those disks - should be more stable? Easy peasy to add them on later.

I do have the stl for the baffle, but it's at home. I'll try to remember to post that tonite.

Overall, a very fun build!

no, looks like .3mf files will not upload. OK, this is from my notes as I went. If you can understand it - good luck - but this is the lightest, yet still strongish design! :p

Model rocket ejection baffle by pbrandt1 on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3032694

Translucent (clear) PETG

.15mm quality layers (lightest of all!)
X from 24.1 --> 23.9
10% infill --> 5% Gyroid??!
8.57 grams
7.7 g printed!

slightly loose
x 23.9 --> 24.0
infill --> rectilinear
5% --> 0%
7.95 g
6.9 g printed

top and bottom layers 3 --> 4
min top layer thickness .7 --> .5
brim --> no brim

the 2 last ones w 0% infill, did not print fully - cannot use. use more infill

infill 0 --> 7%
top and bottom layers 3 --> 2
perimeters 2 --> 1 !!
5.46 g
4.9 g printed.
1 perimeter is totally fine - pretty strong still. top and bottom feel solid.

barely snug
x 24.0 --> 24.05
infill 7% --> 10%
5.92 g
5.4 g printed.
ok, it's still barely fitting snuggly - moves alot in tube

x 24.05 --> 24.08 (24.1 was too big right?)
5.94 g
5.4 g printed (still a tad loose)

x 24.08 --> 24.1
5.93 g
5.4 g printed
pretty snug - do not go smaller width than 24.1
"THIS IS THE ONE!" (say it like Brigham Young!)

Back