A Bit of Nostalgia in This Rocket - Calling all Anglers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratos283

Reaction score
I'm building a Big Bertha with a 7" extension that my Son wants to turn into a "Hiro" rocket. That's a character from Thomas & Friends for those that don't watch. Anyway, I made a black chute out of a trash bag. (He actually said he wanted a black parachute on it because the train is black.) I didn't have any extra shroud lines and was looking through some totes when I came upon this spool.

It's an old spool of baitcasting line that my Grandfather gave me when I was a kid. I think it was probably made before nylon monofilament fishing line was ever on the market, or at least widely available in the U.S. I'm guessing around early to mid 60's. I really don't know when nylon mono came out, but it was probably in that neighborhood. He said it was "the best line you can buy" lol, and it was his favorite to use on an old Pflueger levelwind baitcaster with a steel rod. And let me tell you, when holding it there was no doubt it was steel! That thing made a Zebco Rhino rod feel like a $400 G. Loomis! I don't know who in the family ended up with that rod, but I've got the reel somewhere.

If anyone can guess an approximate date on this I'd love to know. It might be newer than I think. The spool is plastic. Anyway, I stripped off about 20 yards that was faded from light exposure over the years and the rest looks like new, and I think it would cut into my hands before it would break. I believe it will make some jim dandy shroud lines. I don't know what the material is, but it is a braid. It feels like the perfect flexibility and diameter. I think I'm actually going to like it better than what comes in the kits I've bought.

Stratos283

Picture 018.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to do a little research. Amazingly, this American company is still in business since 1932, in Shawnee, Kansas, and their logo has changed very little as well. I fully expected that all or nearly all specialized lines were produced "overseas" these days.

I wasn't suprised to not find "worm line" in their product listing though. That is definitely outdated terminology. I'm going to contact them to see if they have an idea on the age.

Stratos283

Last edited:
I saw your pic and realized I have an identical spool in my garage, and yes mine is 60s vintage. Nothing too unusual about it, they still make a lot of braided lines. My old spool is a dacron blend but the newer braids are polymers and kevlar. Before I bought new kevlar for my shockcords I did use the old dacron braid on 5 or 6 low/mid power builds when I couldn't find anything else. It still seems strong but I doubt it has any heat or fire resistance to it.

I saw your pic and realized I have an identical spool in my garage, and yes mine is 60s vintage. Nothing too unusual about it, they still make a lot of braided lines. My old spool is a dacron blend but the newer braids are polymers and kevlar. Before I bought new kevlar for my shockcords I did use the old dacron braid on 5 or 6 low/mid power builds when I couldn't find anything else. It still seems strong but I doubt it has any heat or fire resistance to it.

Thanks for the info Stan. Based on the diameter/consistency of the line on the spool I have, I think it could zipper a BT-60 right down to the motor mount!

I emailed the manufacturer at Sunset Line & Twine and it was a bad address. There still might be someone there who doesn't care to look into the archives for me.

Stratos283

I've always heard it referred to as "squid line". I still have a roll of it (half a roll, anyway) in my range box. Mine is late '80s vintage, although I don't know what brand it is since the label is long gone. I use it mainly for making attachment lines for streamers now, although I used to use it for external shock cords on competition models.

It's been a long time since I've seen it for sale in the sporting goods stores.

Thanks for the info Stan. Based on the diameter/consistency of the line on the spool I have, I think it could zipper a BT-60 right down to the motor mount!

I emailed the manufacturer at Sunset Line & Twine and it was a bad address. There still might be someone there who doesn't care to look into the archives for me.

Stratos283

Stratos283:
Used to use 70ln Stern Kevlar braided fishing line as shock cord mounts until they took it off the market. Just tears up fishing rod EYE's in no time flat;) most of the other blends of fishing lines do not like heat at all. So I'd suggest using it for Chute and streamer shrould lines if you like. but really it's be a lot easier and not too expensive to just buy some 90 or 100lb Kevlar Twisted or Braided line for both uses.

As for Zippering. the easiest and most permanent antizipper trick I've learned is to use a simple piece of 1/2" or 3/4" wide Masking tape centered on the line just inside the forward most edge of the body tube. I've been using this method more the 10 years without a single zipper on any of the various BT-50 to BT-101 models I fly. Works like a charm, stays with the model for life.

Micro, what you mentioned about eating up the line guides is one of the main reasons I never picked up on braids when they came back out in the late 80's or early 90's as "superlines". I spooled up one reel with it and could definitely tell that it would be abrasive. That and I just couldn't stand the sound of it coming back through the guides on the retrieve. Kinda gave me that fingernails on a chalkboard feeling!

Thanks for the tip on preventing zippers. I had never heard that one. I have been using a tip from someone on here to prevent zippers though. I mainly use it for durability and to extend the life of my rockets, as I don't ever forsee getting a zipper with Estes rubber shock cords, lol.........That is saturating the top inside inch or so of the BT with CA. Seems to keep the edge of the BT from "getting soft" , or coming apart. Seems to make ejection of the NC easier too.

Stratos283

I remember that stuff one my dads old fishing poles in the 60's. Around the 80's or so , braided lines made a comeback,although a different blend. Funny how things come full circle. Advantages are low/no stretch,lowdiameter Never was very fond of braided lines--personal preference--and yes they will eat up line guides. Need to buy rods and reels with titanium nitride coatings

Back