A Big And Bizarre Drone Mystery Is Unfolding In Rural Colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are being remotely piloted, using a video camera, for example, it could be BLINDED by a strong laser.

So the point is, if you don't know who they are and exactly what they are then you have no idea about their capability or weakness. I'm not so sure I want a picture of my face pointing something at one of these things lest I am given a new label to wear. Not sure you really want one either but then again, you may welcome a new label with open arms.

So the point is, if you don't know who they are and exactly what they are then you have no idea about their capability or weakness. I'm not so sure I want a picture of my face pointing something at one of these things lest I am given a new label to wear. Not sure you really want one either but then again, you may welcome a new label with open arms.

You don't think creatively enough . . . Wear a Hoodie, Gloves, & a Guy Fawkes mask !

[pet-peeve-rant-begins] I see all these folks with Guy Fawkes masks, who think they are these masks are wonderful anonymous things, but do they understand that Guy Fawkes was a terrorist who tried to blow up the British government? Seriously why do people wear them? It would be tantamount to wearing an Osama bin Laden mask. [pet-peeve-rant-ends]

I see the "pizza drone" as being practical in a city environment for two main reasons:
1. The recipient is by definition expected to be home at the time of delivery, so the "enter your code to access your pizza" routine would work
2. Pizza boxes are all one of just a few sizes, so it would be easy to load the drone up with several pizzas potentially from multiple orders and send them out.

Amazon (or the like) delivery drones would be hampered by the need to accommodate widely ranging package sizes and weights, plus the fact that most people are not home when their deliveries occur (at least in my experience). So, the application of a defined recipient unlocking the package upon arrival to allow the drone to leave is very limited. Also, let's assume there's a "landing pad" in front of my house (I could create one, HOA-permitting, that is). But a big box sitting out there unattended in the middle of my lawn is one hell of a soft target. A box by my front door is more discrete and better covered by my cameras (anyone going to my door is by definition covered by at least three, perhaps as many as six, cameras).

If anybody watched some of the crappy Netflix series "Better than us" there are drones flitting all over the place (it's set in Russia some years in the future). Crappy show, very crappy. I bailed after a few episodes.

The fact that the Gov & Local Authorities aren't persueing investigating this makes me very suspicious that they know.

It's beyond "suspicious." It's clear that state and/or federal authorities (if not local) have the means to find out what's going on. There really only are two possibilities. 1) As someone else already said, it it regarded as merely a curiosity and no one cares, or 2) They already know, and the public doesn't "need to know."

It's beyond "suspicious." It's clear that state and/or federal authorities (if not local) have the means to find out what's going on. There really only are two possibilities. 1) As someone else already said, it it regarded as merely a curiosity and no one cares, or 2) They already know, and the public doesn't "need to know."
1) Seems very unlikely because so many people care. Low level public officials don't shut up unless they are told to.
2) Almost certain because subject is very valuable and or dangerous. Probable that information could prove embarrassing or incite panic. TRUST IN YOUR GOVERNMENT ! THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!

He is very bulletproof! Legions of Imperial storm troopers will accompany him against anyone shooting at the drones. Swifty will the Empire put down any insignificant rebellion. Those left can work out their fears in the spice mines of Kessel.

As Han Solo and Chewbacca learned, shooting an Imperial drone will swiftly bring company. Even an ion cannon in the back garden will not be able to slow their progress.

I choose #2. :D

Guy Fawkes tried to blow up parliament, a Protestant controlled parliament with King James, who at the time was creating the new King James bible. Fawkes was in hardcore disagreement. The anonymous chosen Fawkes mask is a show to government, don't try to force my beliefs and way of life.

Was Fawkes a terrorist or staunchly violent protester? He didn't just "simply" try to blow up government.

I'm very curious about the drones as well. Especially what kind of uav they are. It's nice mystery.

The sooner the mystery is solved, the better for all concerned . . . The simplest way is to down one of them and start from there.

The longer this goes on, the more draconian the new regulations are likely to be.

Dave F.

It's been almost a whole week. Did you cowboy up and go shoot one down yet?

Are you a hero or a zero?

Guy Fawkes tried to blow up parliament, a Protestant controlled parliament with King James, who at the time was creating the new King James bible. Fawkes was in hardcore disagreement. The anonymous chosen Fawkes mask is a show to government, don't try to force my beliefs and way of life.

Was Fawkes a terrorist or staunchly violent protester? He didn't just "simply" try to blow up government.
There's a photo online of a funny sign planted by an apparently dissatisfied citizen on the modern road approaching parliament that said something like, "Gunpowder deliveries in the rear."

I confess - this was all my fault. I was out in the back yard, playing with my new Estes mini drone, when it suddenly took off on its own, flying to the northwest. After losing thirteen drones this way, night after night, I gave up.

Then there were the pigeons with the LED running lights I was trying out, to help them fly safely at night. Maybe not so good an idea...

Internal Air Force Emails Show Confusion And Concern Over Colorado's Mystery Drones
Emails obtained through FOIA show that security forces and officials at F.E. Warren AFB were just as perplexed with the drones as the public.
24 Feb 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ion-and-concern-over-colorados-mystery-drones

In December 2019 and January 2020, the plains of rural northeastern Colorado and southwestern Nebraska were the epicenter of a series of sightings of what were widely described as unidentified drones. Despite the media attention these sightings received and the speculation that they were related to the security forces responsible for protecting intercontinental ballistic missile silos scattered throughout the region, military bases in the area denied that the drones were theirs. While the mystery of the drones’ operator or operators remains unsolved, a series of internal emails obtained through the Freedom of Information Act reveal just how serious the drone reports were taken by the 90th Security Forces Group and the public affairs office at F.E. Warren Air Force Base. The emails are heavily redacted, but they at least shed some light on the confusion even the base experienced at the hands of this seemingly unsolved mystery.

Despite the large effort and the mobilization of Colorado's infrared camera-equipped aircraft [for ONE flight over a very limited area as far as I know -W], nothing conclusive was identified and, to date, no one has come forward to claim responsibility for the drone activities. That doesn’t mean that the case is closed, however.

The heavily redacted emails can be read in their entirety here:

https://www.scribd.com/lists/233770...rity-Forces-Group-FOIA-Release-Drones-and-UAS

Interesting excerpts are contained within article linked to above.

Space potatoes, a suspicious van and a farcical task force: Behind the scenes of Colorado’s mystery drone investigation
Internal emails show local sheriffs grasping at straws — and playing with comedic instigators

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/02/06/colorado-mystery-drone-investigation-faa/

SpacePotato.jpg

Newly Released FAA Documents Give Unprecedented Look Into Colorado Drone Swarm Mystery
Hundreds of pages of documents provide consistent detailed descriptions of the drones and conclude the military wasn't behind the operation.
JULY 15, 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...nprecedented-look-into-colorado-drone-mystery
As covered in previous reports by The War Zone, law enforcement agencies in numerous rural counties in eastern Colorado and adjacent areas of Nebraska and Kansas received an influx of reports of large drones flying in formations at night for a period of several weeks during December 2019 and early January 2020. Many law enforcement personnel were among the reporting witnesses. In short order, the “mystery drone” wave also elicited serious expressions of concern from at least two U.S. senators and attention from Colorado’s governor and state public safety agency. The activity soon drew the attention of regional and later national news media, as well.

Now, The War Zone can offer an unprecedented inside look at what was going on behind the scenes within the FAA, which was leading a task force to solve the drone mystery. Not only is the confusion within the agency made clear, but we now have multiple highly credible official reports from trained observers from the timeframe when the objects were present in the region. Many of them match to a remarkable degree and they allude to a unique arrangement in which a large drone seems to have been accompanied by a fleet of smaller ones. We also have the latest conclusions, or lack thereof, of what the FAA thinks actually was happening over those peculiar weeks last winter.

"For at least a couple of weeks, the mystery drone flap had the serious attention of top FAA leaders, and at least two U.S. senators. The FAA assigned apparently capable investigators, and mobilized resources from multiple FAA components. The assistance provided by other federal agencies such as the FBI, DHS, and military was apparently quite limited, because of the absence of evidence of criminal intent, or of a proximate threat to military assets or other critical infrastructure. Once the aerial activity stopped, it appears that both federal and state agencies quickly dropped the matter - I have not yet seen any evidence of a continuing federal investigation, although there are many documents still not released."

"The activity reported occurs primarily between the hours of 1800 and 2200 MST and demonstrate the pattern of multiple “drones” flying a grid type pattern and remaining airborne for several hours at a time in less than optimum flying conditions (high winds and storm-like conditions). The number of drones reported operating at one time range from between 2 and 16 and appear to be approximately 6 feet width and length. Flight time has been 2 to 3 hours continuous. All reports indicate flight is between 200 and 300 feet. However several people interviewed stated it was hard to determine height due to the darkness and lack of clouds. Other sightings lights were also reported to be either flashing or steady white, red, or green. One report mentioned flashing blue lights. They have not been described as operating in a manner that place persons on the ground in danger."

"The Lincoln FSDO [Flight Standards District Office] has received a call regarding multiple, larger sized drones flying over rural western Nebraska...The caller reported there were maybe 12 or more drones with a 6 foot wingspan flying approximately 200 feel AGL, in a grid pattern. From his contacts, the drones seem to have covered 10 to 20 square miles. Some farmers/ranchers reported the drones flying over their farmsteads. The caller stated he saw the drones December 29 approximately from 1900-2230 MST. He was unable to get a photo or video. The caller does have an aviation background; he is a private pilot."

"The drones are reported to have 6’ wingspans and there are several reports that indicate the drones are operating in coordination with a ‘Big Drone’ that may be stationary in the area. There is also an unverified report of the larger ‘drone’ potentially landing and taking back off from an airport in Imperial, Nebraska (Chase County). This larger drone, also described as a ‘Mother Ship’, is said to hover while all the others fly around in close proximity. The large drone, as described, is about 5-6 feet in diameter with a cylindrical shape and a red front."

"He said one of the drones had a really bright light on it, like a spot light. That drone stayed relatively stationary at that location. He then said there were anywhere from 10 to 15 drones that flew all kinds of patterns around that stationary drone. At one point one of those drones flew directly over his house. He had his night vision with him so he tried to look at it. Some of the lights on the drone drowned out a good picture with the NVG’s, but he said he thought he saw 4 rotors on the drone as well as a horizontal stabilizer or wing. The wing appeared to be about 10 foot in length. He said the drone was about 200 feet in the air and made absolutely no sound at all, even though the wind was calm."

"In response to concerns the Army or one of their contractors was conducting UAS operations or testing and evaluation, on January 13, the FAA contacted multiple offices within the Pentagon in both the Army and the Office of the Secretary. All provided negative responses. Combined with previous DOD engagement [by FAA] with USAF and NORAD/NORTHCOM, there is high confidence these are not covert military activities."

Of it was a black world project they would lie. Period. Perhaps even for "just" a Top Secret program, too.

Newly Released FAA Documents Give Unprecedented Look Into Colorado Drone Swarm Mystery
Hundreds of pages of documents provide consistent detailed descriptions of the drones and conclude the military wasn't behind the operation.
JULY 15, 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...nprecedented-look-into-colorado-drone-mystery
As covered in previous reports by The War Zone, law enforcement agencies in numerous rural counties in eastern Colorado and adjacent areas of Nebraska and Kansas received an influx of reports of large drones flying in formations at night for a period of several weeks during December 2019 and early January 2020. Many law enforcement personnel were among the reporting witnesses. In short order, the “mystery drone” wave also elicited serious expressions of concern from at least two U.S. senators and attention from Colorado’s governor and state public safety agency. The activity soon drew the attention of regional and later national news media, as well.

Now, The War Zone can offer an unprecedented inside look at what was going on behind the scenes within the FAA, which was leading a task force to solve the drone mystery. Not only is the confusion within the agency made clear, but we now have multiple highly credible official reports from trained observers from the timeframe when the objects were present in the region. Many of them match to a remarkable degree and they allude to a unique arrangement in which a large drone seems to have been accompanied by a fleet of smaller ones. We also have the latest conclusions, or lack thereof, of what the FAA thinks actually was happening over those peculiar weeks last winter.

"For at least a couple of weeks, the mystery drone flap had the serious attention of top FAA leaders, and at least two U.S. senators. The FAA assigned apparently capable investigators, and mobilized resources from multiple FAA components. The assistance provided by other federal agencies such as the FBI, DHS, and military was apparently quite limited, because of the absence of evidence of criminal intent, or of a proximate threat to military assets or other critical infrastructure. Once the aerial activity stopped, it appears that both federal and state agencies quickly dropped the matter - I have not yet seen any evidence of a continuing federal investigation, although there are many documents still not released."

"The activity reported occurs primarily between the hours of 1800 and 2200 MST and demonstrate the pattern of multiple “drones” flying a grid type pattern and remaining airborne for several hours at a time in less than optimum flying conditions (high winds and storm-like conditions). The number of drones reported operating at one time range from between 2 and 16 and appear to be approximately 6 feet width and length. Flight time has been 2 to 3 hours continuous. All reports indicate flight is between 200 and 300 feet. However several people interviewed stated it was hard to determine height due to the darkness and lack of clouds. Other sightings lights were also reported to be either flashing or steady white, red, or green. One report mentioned flashing blue lights. They have not been described as operating in a manner that place persons on the ground in danger."

"The Lincoln FSDO [Flight Standards District Office] has received a call regarding multiple, larger sized drones flying over rural western Nebraska...The caller reported there were maybe 12 or more drones with a 6 foot wingspan flying approximately 200 feel AGL, in a grid pattern. From his contacts, the drones seem to have covered 10 to 20 square miles. Some farmers/ranchers reported the drones flying over their farmsteads. The caller stated he saw the drones December 29 approximately from 1900-2230 MST. He was unable to get a photo or video. The caller does have an aviation background; he is a private pilot."

"The drones are reported to have 6’ wingspans and there are several reports that indicate the drones are operating in coordination with a ‘Big Drone’ that may be stationary in the area. There is also an unverified report of the larger ‘drone’ potentially landing and taking back off from an airport in Imperial, Nebraska (Chase County). This larger drone, also described as a ‘Mother Ship’, is said to hover while all the others fly around in close proximity. The large drone, as described, is about 5-6 feet in diameter with a cylindrical shape and a red front."

"He said one of the drones had a really bright light on it, like a spot light. That drone stayed relatively stationary at that location. He then said there were anywhere from 10 to 15 drones that flew all kinds of patterns around that stationary drone. At one point one of those drones flew directly over his house. He had his night vision with him so he tried to look at it. Some of the lights on the drone drowned out a good picture with the NVG’s, but he said he thought he saw 4 rotors on the drone as well as a horizontal stabilizer or wing. The wing appeared to be about 10 foot in length. He said the drone was about 200 feet in the air and made absolutely no sound at all, even though the wind was calm."

"In response to concerns the Army or one of their contractors was conducting UAS operations or testing and evaluation, on January 13, the FAA contacted multiple offices within the Pentagon in both the Army and the Office of the Secretary. All provided negative responses. Combined with previous DOD engagement [by FAA] with USAF and NORAD/NORTHCOM, there is high confidence these are not covert military activities."

Of it was a black world project they would lie. Period. Perhaps even for "just" a Top Secret program, too.

:goodjob: The Government investigation determined The Government wasn't involved. That's an airtight case.

I know when Michael Corleone investigated the death of Police Capt. McCluskey / Sollozzo, and Michael Corleone determined that Michael Corleone wasn't involved, that too was an airtight case. :facepalm:

Last edited:
:goodjob: The Government investigation determined The Government wasn't involved. That's an airtight case.

I know when Michael Corleone investigated the death of Police Capt. McCluskey / Sollozzo and Michael Corleone determined that Michael Corleone wasn't involved that too was an airtight case.

:facepalm:
What!? You don't think the government can properly investigate itself!

Back