A Big And Bizarre Drone Mystery Is Unfolding In Rural Colorado

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Winston, Dec 27, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 27, 2020 #121

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

2. Jan 27, 2020 #122

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

3. Jan 27, 2020 #123

grouch

grouch

grouch

So the point is, if you don't know who they are and exactly what they are then you have no idea about their capability or weakness. I'm not so sure I want a picture of my face pointing something at one of these things lest I am given a new label to wear. Not sure you really want one either but then again, you may welcome a new label with open arms.

4. Jan 27, 2020 #124

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

I don't doubt that there are firearm-based solutions out there, just that the police are not going to be amused if you start firing 12 gauges within city limits. I would also be surprised if you see drone delivery in areas rural enough that you can legally shoot them down.

Rocket501 and timbucktoo like this.
  5. Jan 28, 2020 #125

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

You don't think creatively enough . . . Wear a Hoodie, Gloves, & a Guy Fawkes mask !

Greg Furtman likes this.
  6. Jan 28, 2020 #126

Marc_G

Marc_G

Marc_G

[pet-peeve-rant-begins] I see all these folks with Guy Fawkes masks, who think they are these masks are wonderful anonymous things, but do they understand that Guy Fawkes was a terrorist who tried to blow up the British government? Seriously why do people wear them? It would be tantamount to wearing an Osama bin Laden mask. [pet-peeve-rant-ends]

I see the "pizza drone" as being practical in a city environment for two main reasons:
    1. The recipient is by definition expected to be home at the time of delivery, so the "enter your code to access your pizza" routine would work
    2. Pizza boxes are all one of just a few sizes, so it would be easy to load the drone up with several pizzas potentially from multiple orders and send them out.

Amazon (or the like) delivery drones would be hampered by the need to accommodate widely ranging package sizes and weights, plus the fact that most people are not home when their deliveries occur (at least in my experience). So, the application of a defined recipient unlocking the package upon arrival to allow the drone to leave is very limited. Also, let's assume there's a "landing pad" in front of my house (I could create one, HOA-permitting, that is). But a big box sitting out there unattended in the middle of my lawn is one hell of a soft target. A box by my front door is more discrete and better covered by my cameras (anyone going to my door is by definition covered by at least three, perhaps as many as six, cameras).

If anybody watched some of the crappy Netflix series "Better than us" there are drones flitting all over the place (it's set in Russia some years in the future). Crappy show, very crappy. I bailed after a few episodes.

7. Jan 28, 2020 #127

Peartree

Peartree

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

It's beyond "suspicious." It's clear that state and/or federal authorities (if not local) have the means to find out what's going on. There really only are two possibilities. 1) As someone else already said, it it regarded as merely a curiosity and no one cares, or 2) They already know, and the public doesn't "need to know."

Greg Furtman likes this.
  8. Jan 28, 2020 #128

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Hoodie, Gloves, & a Guy Fawkes mask . . .

9. Jan 28, 2020 #129

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

1) Seems very unlikely because so many people care. Low level public officials don't shut up unless they are told to.
    2) Almost certain because subject is very valuable and or dangerous. Probable that information could prove embarrassing or incite panic. TRUST IN YOUR GOVERNMENT ! THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!

10. Jan 28, 2020 #130

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

BWAHAHHAHAHAHA . . . Yeah, right ! ! !

11. Jan 28, 2020 #131

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

I will be sending my new apprentice; he will take care of you.:)

12. Jan 28, 2020 #132

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Be sure he is wearing his "bulletproof Fruit of the Looms" - LOL !

In all seriousness, the more that "Government" stays out of things, the better !

Dave F.

13. Jan 29, 2020 #133

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

He is very bulletproof! Legions of Imperial storm troopers will accompany him against anyone shooting at the drones. Swifty will the Empire put down any insignificant rebellion. Those left can work out their fears in the spice mines of Kessel.

As Han Solo and Chewbacca learned, shooting an Imperial drone will swiftly bring company. Even an ion cannon in the back garden will not be able to slow their progress.

14. Jan 29, 2020 #134

Brewmann

Brewmann

Brewmann

Duh. Clearly they are just looking to locate Bigfoot. Second season of "Finding Bigfoot"

15. Jan 29, 2020 #135

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I choose #2. :D

16. Jan 29, 2020 #136

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

:)

17. Jan 29, 2020 #137

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

:headspinning:

18. Jan 29, 2020 #138

Rob40

Rob40

Rob40

Guy Fawkes tried to blow up parliament, a Protestant controlled parliament with King James, who at the time was creating the new King James bible. Fawkes was in hardcore disagreement. The anonymous chosen Fawkes mask is a show to government, don't try to force my beliefs and way of life.

Was Fawkes a terrorist or staunchly violent protester? He didn't just "simply" try to blow up government.

I'm very curious about the drones as well. Especially what kind of uav they are. It's nice mystery.

19. Feb 2, 2020 #139

Cnorm

Cnorm

Cnorm

It's been almost a whole week. Did you cowboy up and go shoot one down yet?

Are you a hero or a zero?

20. Feb 2, 2020 #140

shreadvector

shreadvector

shreadvector

21. Feb 4, 2020 #141

Winston

Winston

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn

There's a photo online of a funny sign planted by an apparently dissatisfied citizen on the modern road approaching parliament that said something like, "Gunpowder deliveries in the rear."

22. Feb 4, 2020 #142

Sooner Boomer

Sooner Boomer

Sooner Boomer

I confess - this was all my fault. I was out in the back yard, playing with my new Estes mini drone, when it suddenly took off on its own, flying to the northwest. After losing thirteen drones this way, night after night, I gave up.

Then there were the pigeons with the LED running lights I was trying out, to help them fly safely at night. Maybe not so good an idea...

Greg Furtman and Mugs914 like this.
  23. Feb 25, 2020 #143

Winston

Winston

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn

Internal Air Force Emails Show Confusion And Concern Over Colorado's Mystery Drones
    Emails obtained through FOIA show that security forces and officials at F.E. Warren AFB were just as perplexed with the drones as the public.
    24 Feb 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ion-and-concern-over-colorados-mystery-drones

In December 2019 and January 2020, the plains of rural northeastern Colorado and southwestern Nebraska were the epicenter of a series of sightings of what were widely described as unidentified drones. Despite the media attention these sightings received and the speculation that they were related to the security forces responsible for protecting intercontinental ballistic missile silos scattered throughout the region, military bases in the area denied that the drones were theirs. While the mystery of the drones’ operator or operators remains unsolved, a series of internal emails obtained through the Freedom of Information Act reveal just how serious the drone reports were taken by the 90th Security Forces Group and the public affairs office at F.E. Warren Air Force Base. The emails are heavily redacted, but they at least shed some light on the confusion even the base experienced at the hands of this seemingly unsolved mystery.

Despite the large effort and the mobilization of Colorado's infrared camera-equipped aircraft [for ONE flight over a very limited area as far as I know -W], nothing conclusive was identified and, to date, no one has come forward to claim responsibility for the drone activities. That doesn’t mean that the case is closed, however.

The heavily redacted emails can be read in their entirety here:

https://www.scribd.com/lists/233770...rity-Forces-Group-FOIA-Release-Drones-and-UAS

Interesting excerpts are contained within article linked to above.

Space potatoes, a suspicious van and a farcical task force: Behind the scenes of Colorado’s mystery drone investigation
    Internal emails show local sheriffs grasping at straws — and playing with comedic instigators

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/02/06/colorado-mystery-drone-investigation-faa/

[​IMG]