A BAR's perspective on the Deuce's Wild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I admit to being not only a BAR, but a conservative one in that I like my rockets to look like sleek, skypunching roadsters. Never could get into rocket/boost gliders or some of the newer rocket designs because they just didn't look like my idea of a rocket .

Which is why it took me a while to order a Fliskits Deuce's Wild... A 2 engine cluster (cool), with canted engine mounts (way cool). BUT...

It looked to be a stubby thing, maybe due to the seemingly oversized fins. A rocket, to be sure, but not a sleek one.

Ordered it anyway... and I'm glad I did!

The kit arrived 3 days after I placed my order - gotta love Jim Flis for his prompt service - and was very nicely packaged. All the parts were there, and I was especially pleased with the balsa nose cone, which was much smoother than ones I have gotten from BMS.

First thing was to build the engine mount, which went together fairly easily thanks to the laser cut centering rings and detailed instructions. While it was drying, I cut out the fin pattern and laid out the fins on the 1/8 inch balsa sheets - plenty of room here (I hate it when the fins are crammed close together. I do not have a steady hand, so you can guess what happens...). After they were cut and sanded, I decided that their big surface area called for lamination, rather than the normal 3 or 4 coats of sanding sealer. This was done using standard computer paper and 3M spray adhesive, allowing for 24 hours of drying (and to prevent the fins from warping) under the very heavy "American Heritage New History of the Civil War." The edges of the fins were then sealed with CA... I was quite happy with the results.

During the time the fins were burdened by the Civil War, I used the alignment guide to mark the fin locations and cutouts for the motor assembly. After some minor surgery with a hobby knife, the body tube was ready to receive the motor mount - a test fit showed some cracks, but nothing that a little epoxy putty couldn't handle.

The pic below shows the kit parts, including the finished fins, the cut body tube and the engine assembly.

Deuce parts

I used wood glue to install the motor mount, and used epoxy putty to seal the cracks and create fillets. Once this dried, I attached the fins, again with wood glue.

The next 3 pics show the Deuce at various angles at this phase of construction.

Deuce backside
Side view
Naked Deuce

After filleting, I sealed the nose cone with 3 coats of sanding sealer and applied 2 coats of Krylon primer to the whole rocket, after which it was painted Sun Yellow. Today, I began to create the paint pattern, starting with a blue top:

Deuce Painted

I am thoroughly enjoying building this rocket - it is challenging enough to not be a cakewalk, yet not too hard for this shaky-handed BAR. I now understand why it is so popular - my hat's off to the geniuses at Fliskits!

Moral of the story: Don't judge a rocket by it's cover art... Try new things - you might like them.

I can't wait for the October club launch to fly this puppy... Pics will be posted.

Well, needless to say your post has tickled me no end :)

I am thrilled that you are enjoying this kit. The Deuce's Wild! has taken on a life of its own and it's a good thing :)

I think you will be very pleased with how this model flies as well as the reaction you get from your fellow rocketeers at the launch. Be sure to keep us posted on that too!

jim

PS: Welcome to the Deuce-A-Holics club :D

Careful, don't glue the pages of your HBOMR together!!! :D :D

I just ordered a DW too!! Saw unclemike's rocketshop had a Bigger Bertha listed, I just wanted to get the matched Bertha set (Baby-Big-Bigger) together, :D ... then my mouse slid down over the Deuces Wild... uhhh... itchy trigger finger!!! Dang you jimflis!! Your rockets are addicting!! :D

SpaceGarbage, thanks for your post! it is like a step-by-step how-to construction guide, so when I start smacking mine together, I can follow right in your steps. The pics are great!!

Originally posted by JStarStar
Careful, don't glue the pages of your HBOMR together!!! :D :D

I just ordered a DW too!! Saw unclemike's rocketshop had a Bigger Bertha listed, I just wanted to get the matched Bertha set (Baby-Big-Bigger) together, :D ... then my mouse slid down over the Deuces Wild... uhhh... itchy trigger finger!!! Dang you jimflis!! Your rockets are addicting!! :D

SpaceGarbage, thanks for your post! it is like a step-by-step how-to construction guide, so when I start smacking mine together, I can follow right in your steps. The pics are great!!

I also threw in an extra set of Launch Lugs. Dont ask me why but when I was pulling the Super Big Bertha to pack in the box. I figured I would give a small bonus to the first person to have bought one from the website.

Please post pics on both when you get them completed!!!

And thank again for buying.
"Uncle" Mike

Bill, I currently have my copy of the American Heritage New History of the Civil War on top of my BT-80 Patriot Missile fins! (I also have an Oxford Atlas of the World in the stack...) Jim, I was bummed that I missed your 2nd Anniversary party a couple of weeks ago, (I knew Saturday would be rained out, but I didn't know it would happen the very next day) but I'm sure I'll end up with a Deuce soon!

I was surprised as well, but pleased as I didn't want this to run into October.

It was very windy, but we had a real good day. For a Tewksbury launch it was a large launch (100 people and over 250 launches) and Deuce's everywhere! :D

Back