Quantcast

98mm mongoose question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Trenman

Reaction score
I am finishing up my 98mm mongoose build for my L2 (on an L) and have a very newb question. I have my telemetry gps system in the nosecone, followed by a airframe tube, followed by an avbay, followed by a long airframe tube containing the motor etc... My question:

shear pins keep the nose cone on until deployment but what holds the bottom of the top airframe to the top of the avbay? Does this get bolted on? If so how is this accomplished with CF? Obviously the bottom avbay is NOT connected with anything since it must seperate for the main event.

Sorry or the newb question! I apprecaote any feedback.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
I would go with three of these type rivets..About ten bucks for a package of 50..

I would recommend part# 91020A360 as probably your best bet..$10.25 for 50..You MAY even go smaller, not sure the total thickness of the material of the tube and coupler are..

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Rivets like Pantherjon suggested will work.

Another option is thick wooden bulkheads in the av bay, into which you install threaded inserts. Then, use screws through the airframe into those inserts to hold it together.

If performance matters, the screws can be a bit more flush. If not, the rivets will work just fine.

One thing I would not do is put any load directly on the rivets or screws. Instead, make sure your recovery load is transferred through the av bay via a piece of allthread, or similar material, that runs from the top bulkhead to the bottom.

-Kevin

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
While admittedly, I do not yet have my L1, I strongly recommend reading "Modern High-Power Rocketry 2" by Mark Canepa especially if you aren't able to work with other, more experienced, club members during your preparation for your L2. This is a really good book, it is very understandable, and covers a wide range of building and flying options you may wish to consider.

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9781412058100

Latest posts