9 engine CHAD cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm consider building this cluster **** using BP motors. Have the booster stage on (3) E-9-0 when it drops it will come down via parachute, verses tumble drop. Those motors will ignite the next 3 engines E-9-0 which will be tape to E-12-? after they burn out they will drop out the bottom of the rocket and lite the final 3 motors recessed in the air frame. which will continue to apogee and motor ejection coming down on a nice size parachute. Considered using a BT-80 for the air frame design.

From what I have heard a CHAD stage from a three cluster booster to a three cluster sustainer will not work. The differences in ingition times using CHAD staging are too great to light the upper cluster close enough in time to warrant success. Three to one CHAD will work. Electronics will work. CHAD Flashpan cluster staging is crazy.:y:

From what I have heard a CHAD stage from a three cluster booster to a three cluster sustainer will not work. The differences in ingition times using CHAD staging are too great to light the upper cluster close enough in time to warrant success. Three to one CHAD will work. Electronics will work. CHAD Flashpan cluster staging is crazy.:y:

I feel like a mad scientist. I will make it work because I will be wearing my big floppy clown shoes as I sniff the fumes of the mixed chemicals in my laboratory from the epoxy and sanding sealer.

I talked to one of the engineers at NASA and he said it would work. He also sniffs glue.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I feel like a mad scientist. I will make it work because I will be wearing my big floppy clown shoes as I sniff the fumes of the mixed chemicals in my laboratory from the epoxy and sanding sealer.

Such an outfit and atmosphere is typical of the no good mindsimmer. This forum prefers a short sleeve white shirt, thin black tie, black plastic rim glasses, pocket protector and clouds of cigarette smoke just like it was at NASA in the 60's. Computer simulation is a must to ensure safety.:)

D12-0's will work better, lighter and punchier. Not so clunky as E12's.

A-10s have really big nozzles and three will easily light in an upper stage like in the MIRV. Timing will still be an issue. Maybe smaller is better. Small and Dangerous Rocket Ships can be fun! At least that is what this no good mindsimmer has to offer.:)

All you have to do is devise a way that the first flame from any of the booster motors immediately ignites the cluster in the second stage. Sounds easy. . . right?

I guess Cheap and Dirty will only get you so far in life; then you have to give into the ultra Expensive and Clean world of composites staged electronically.

With 9 E12's you have a 133% chance of a CATO. LOL.

Can't CHAD a cluster. BAH. Just DO IT...and document it too.

With 9 E12's you have a 133% chance of a CATO. LOL.

Can't CHAD a cluster. BAH. Just DO IT...and document it too.

The big fireball from the CATO will surely ignite the second stage, giving it a good boost too! Like I said earlier everything I know is just HEARSAY. Can't remember a video of such and event failure. Yes, JUST DO IT! And wear your NIKE Air Jordan's. I want to be like MIKE!

The big fireball from the CATO will surely ignite the second stage, giving it a good boost too! Like I said earlier everything I know is just HEARSAY. Can't remember a video of such and event failure. Yes, JUST DO IT! And wear your NIKE Air Jordan's. I want to be like MIKE!

I'm cleaning off the second work bench

Just make sure each of the vertical stacks are individually taped.

so seriously you don't think my odds are that good? What if I put a fancy paint job on it? At least it would pretty as the rocket burst into a fireball right? I have a story about that, but first let me find the pictures.

E9-0 was a dream then Estes came out with the E12-0 and the reality was even better!:)

I made 'em and flew E9-0's in a Zenith 2 modroc with a booster to take the E. Got E9-P's and a twist drill. Don't go OMG now. I just simply and slowly hand twisted the drill bit
to ream out the clay plug. Stopped when I got to the black propellant. I flew a half dozen of them with no CATO's at TRA Research launches.
(Of course they were modified motors and I wouldn't have flown them at a NAR launch) Kurt

so seriously you don't think my odds are that good? What if I put a fancy paint job on it? At least it would pretty as the rocket burst into a fireball right? I have a story about that, but first let me find the pictures.

From what I have heard the chances of a 3-3-3 BP E motor cluster are slim to none, and Slim is leaving town!

Well I actually do have some E9-0 motors made by Estes. They have NO label and were never produced for Production. My guess is once they tried to stage a model using them they quickly figured out a D12-0 was a much better way to go.

John Boren

From what I have heard the chances of a 3-3-3 BP E motor cluster are slim to none, and Slim is leaving town!

I did a 3x E9 cluster once and not one, but all three popped their nozzles out onto the blast deflector. Had to just sit and wait for it to burn out slowly. The rocket survived.
-Ken

I made 'em and flew E9-0's in a Zenith 2 modroc with a booster to take the E. Got E9-P's and a twist drill. Don't go OMG now. I just simply and slowly hand twisted the drill bit
to ream out the clay plug. Stopped when I got to the black propellant. I flew a half dozen of them with no CATO's at TRA Research launches.
(Of course they were modified motors and I wouldn't have flown them at a NAR launch) Kurt

You will get no OMG from me. I do such things often. I use old chopsticks for said reaming. Had to resort to a drill bit when I got an f15 with a double thick nozzle but only a single deep nozzle hole. But then, I never got to the bp from that end.

Joking aside, I have burned over 100 e9's and had only a few issues. One of which, is totally on me. Statistically, the odds on e12's are not that bad if you stay away from the bad dates. I have had zero problems even on the bad date codes when I use quickmatch. Just my unsciency observations.

Joking aside, I have burned over 100 e9's and had only a few issues. One of which, is totally on me. Statistically, the odds on e12's are not that bad if you stay away from the bad dates. I have had zero problems even on the bad date codes when I use quickmatch. Just my unsciency observations.

If the booster CATO's on the pad will there be enough flames to launch the upper stage? I can live with that....

Well if THAT happens, it will likely flip over and landshark on stages 2 & 3.

Or it will eject the other two burning motors and possibly some or all of stage 2 will ignite.

If the booster CATO's on the pad will there be enough flames to launch the upper stage? I can live with that....

Yes. It happened to me last month with a C11-0. The first stage of my Comanche 3 flew about 10 ft, then blew out the nozzle but simultaneously lit the second stage for an otherwise normal flight.

Yes. It happened to me last month with a C11-0. The first stage of my Comanche 3 flew about 10 ft, then blew out the nozzle but simultaneously lit the second stage for an otherwise normal flight.

I wouldn't count on a CATO starting all three motors. That said, I'd recommend flying from far away pads in fire safe conditions. Keep a water source by the pad. Make all three upper motors handle the ejection and make sure it will fly on two for each stage, if possible. What else......

Back