• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8in to 98mm Thrust Plates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateLowrie

Spark Rocket Labs Team Lead
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am making my level 3 rocket, which is a Formula 200, and I decided to build my own thrust plate for it. It is anodized Type II hardcoat and fits the Formula 200 tube perfectly. The weight came in at 1.6lbs which is about where I expected it. That's still much lighter than if I would have foamed the fin can. It comes in lighter than the SC Precision plate which does not have the ribbing on the back. The Aeropack retainer fit perfectly.

IMG_7586.jpgIMG_7585.jpgIMG_7594.jpgIMG_7591.jpg

The plate is designed to be bolted onto the back centering ring using 10-32 bolts. I printed the drawing of the mount holes and taped that to the centering ring. I then used the template as a drill guide. Once the holes were drilled I installed the PEM Nuts. To do this, I took some socket screws and used the screw to press the nut into the hole. Once the nuts were installed I did an epoxy fillet around them to ensure they stay put (for some reason I don't have a picture of this, but will make sure to snap one before I glue it in place).

IMG_7430.jpgIMG_7437.jpgIMG_7538.jpg

I made a production run of 10 plates. If you would like one, they are $85 which includes shipping to the continental US, (4) 10/32 socket flat head screws, (4) 10-32 PEM nuts and a printed drill template for the nuts. PM me if interested.

Man, that is super hard to resist. Here's the catch: I already drilled my CRs for my threaded rods. I used #10-24 rod, and, of course, I don't know if my drill points would line up with yours.

Are you going to be at MDRA on Saturday? I could bring my MMT and see if they would fit. Or, maybe we could talk a custom job?

John,

I am not going to be at MDRA on Saturday. Looking to go to the December launch. I did attach the drawings and the drill guide. The holes are 3.25" from center. You could print out page 2 of the PDF (the drill guide) and put that on your centering ring to check fit. Let me know what you find.

View attachment Thrust Plate.PDF

Hi Nate,

I'm building a Formula 150 for my L3and I'd be interested in one of your plates if you are doing them in different sizes

Nate, those are looking really nice. From the pockets, it appears that you have a CNC mill available for your use. Can I ask why you used a paper template and hand drilling for the Aeropack mount holes? I'm working on the Solidworks model for some plates and rings for my next project. If you've got the CNC tools available, can you do one-offs?
-Ken

Nate, those are looking really nice. From the pockets, it appears that you have a CNC mill available for your use. Can I ask why you used a paper template and hand drilling for the Aeropack mount holes? I'm working on the Solidworks model for some plates and rings for my next project. If you've got the CNC tools available, can you do one-offs?
-Ken

Ken,

That template was to drill the G10 centering ring for the PEM nuts to secure the plate to the rocket. It was easier to do it that way than fixture the precut ring on the CNC. The thrust plate is completely CNC cut, drilled, and tapped.

I can certainly do one off for just about anything you need. I have the following machines and capabilities available.
  1. CNC mill - Can do almost any metal on the Novakon Torus Pro
  2. CNC router - I have 2 Saturn series routers that we use for demos here that can easily do wood, plastic, fiberglass and carbon fiber, aluminum and other non-ferrous metals.
  3. 3D printers - both have a 8in x 8in x 9in build area.
  4. CNC lathe

We work in Solidworks. Send me the CAD files of what you need and I'll quote you.

Regards,

Nate

Hi Nate,

I'm building a Formula 150 for my L3and I'd be interested in one of your plates if you are doing them in different sizes

Yes! 5.5in madcow fiberglass tube with 98mm MMT for 98mm flanged Aeropack. My online search has found most vendors are out of stock, including direct from SSC.

I will look at producing a line of plates. Do you like the Aeropack mounting more than a built in retainer?

Ken,

That template was to drill the G10 centering ring for the PEM nuts to secure the plate to the rocket. It was easier to do it that way than fixture the precut ring on the CNC. The thrust plate is completely CNC cut, drilled, and tapped.

I can certainly do one off for just about anything you need. I have the following machines and capabilities available.
  1. CNC mill - Can do almost any metal on the Novakon Torus Pro
  2. CNC router - I have 2 Saturn series routers that we use for demos here that can easily do wood, plastic, fiberglass and carbon fiber, aluminum and other non-ferrous metals.
  3. 3D printers - both have a 8in x 8in x 9in build area.
  4. CNC lathe

We work in Solidworks. Send me the CAD files of what you need and I'll quote you.

Regards,

Nate

That sounds like a nice setup. Thanks for the clarification on the drilling. Guess I didn't look close enough!

Will let you know on quoting my parts.
Thanks,
-Ken

Keeping an eye on this. Building a Formula 200 as well for my L3. If Santa doesn't bring a thrust plate this year, you might be hearing from me :)

2 left. I will have more news shortly on a new line of plates.

What sizes are you most interested in? Choices include:
  • 6in to 98mm
  • 6in to 75mm
  • 5.5in to 98mm
  • 5.5in to 75mm
  • 4in to 75mm
  • 4in to 54mm
  • 3in to 54mm
  • 3in to 38mm

I want 6in to 98mm.

I'm not sure I would use one for <75mm. The glue-on aeropacks work well at 54mm and down, and the thrust loads aren't as big an issue. Of course, there's the Loki 54mm M and 38mm K, so maybe...

I snagged one of them. I already have the Aero Pack retainer for it. Should look really nice on my L3 model. Thanks for making these. Now you need to make some 8" tail cones. :-D

Latest posts

Back