808 keychain camera replacement battery?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find? It's a small 1S LiPo, 200 mah. There are plenty of 1S LiPos for sale on eBay but all appear to be much larger.
Thanks, Bill
20220114_113442.jpg

Sure -- and actually should have said part numbers, not necessarily titles.
The battery in my 808 does not have any such numbers, it just says XI 16.5, whatever that means. It does measure 3x20x25. The manual says 200 mah, but most 032025s seem to be around 120 mah, hope that is enough. Nothing larger would fit in the existing housing.

You mentioned changing the housing. Is that a 3D printer project or what?

The battery in my 808 does not have any such numbers, it just says XI 16.5, whatever that means. It does measure 3x20x25. The manual says 200 mah, but most 032025s seem to be around 120 mah, hope that is enough. Nothing larger would fit in the existing housing.

You mentioned changing the housing. Is that a 3D printer project or what?

I would do it with 3D printer (if I could not fit everything in the case again or wanted a redesign for some reason) but I'm sure there are other ways to scratch-build a new housing that would be able to be easily attached to multiple rockets and give you access to buttons, usb charging, and memory stick.

The mah of the battery would normally just affect battery life. Although it could also affect maximum amperage draw I suppose in conjunction with C-value. There are sometimes critiques of these little 1s batteries where people claim they cannot provide enough amps for an application (Anki Overdrive cars again). I did not have that problem but you could possibly contact the manufacturer to find out if their battery will work in an 808 camera..

I jumped in on the 808's in their prime, back when people would talk about the advantage of version x vs version y and how you can get one from supplier z and you actually got what you ordered (i.e. 10-ish years ago). I bought 5 or 6 and then took a long time away from the hobby and obviously all of the deeply discharged batteries were dead.

I found some battery from some seller and bought a bunch, installed them and went from 6 dead cameras to 4. I tested the cameras at home and had 3 that gave valid videos and one that never saved a non-corrupted file. I flew the other 3 and never got a good video again, as the batteries seemed to not be fully charging or having an issue in flight and the cameras were all off when rockets recovered and videos were corrupt.

My main recommendation would be to retrofit only 1 camera if you've got multiples. After a few charges, none of them would ever take a charge again, so I think the batteries I got were at fault and either overloaded the internal charging circuit or something. Sure, it could have been something on my installation, but I play electronics a bit and am not the worst guy you've seen with a soldering iron. If it were user error, I wouldn't have expected that much failure so quickly. . .

If I tried something again, I think I would prefer external battery, which would imply making a new case or using a traditional AV Bay, which defeats the whole beauty of the 808, where a bit of blue tape and thoughtful placement got amazing quality videos on lots of rockets back in the day.

Best of luck getting everything working for you. I would love to pay $50/ea for a few more 808's like I had originally.

Sandy.

Best of luck getting everything working for you. I would love to pay $50/ea for a few more 808's like I had originally.
Yes, I also let my cameras sit for too long, LiPo batteries do not like that. You paid $50 each? Mine were like $6 each, and they worked fine. But I see that now the price has gone way up.

Yes, I also let my cameras sit for too long, LiPo batteries do not like that. You paid $50 each? Mine were like $6 each, and they worked fine. But I see that now the price has gone way up.

Been waaaaay too long to know what I actually paid - probably a lot cheaper, but I was getting at I don't know of a similar quality/ease of use option today for $50. I think there is better quality, but they seem bigger and harder to implement and it seems that they also have some drawbacks batch to batch. Seems like modern 808's aren't even close to the decent ones we had back then, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Also seems like there are a lot more scams.

I want my MTV MTV MTV 808 808 808.

Sandy.

I jumped in on the 808's in their prime, back when people would talk about the advantage of version x vs version y and how you can get one from supplier z and you actually got what you ordered (i.e. 10-ish years ago). I bought 5 or 6 and then took a long time away from the hobby and obviously all of the deeply discharged batteries were dead.

I found some battery from some seller and bought a bunch, installed them and went from 6 dead cameras to 4. I tested the cameras at home and had 3 that gave valid videos and one that never saved a non-corrupted file. I flew the other 3 and never got a good video again, as the batteries seemed to not be fully charging or having an issue in flight and the cameras were all off when rockets recovered and videos were corrupt.

My main recommendation would be to retrofit only 1 camera if you've got multiples. After a few charges, none of them would ever take a charge again, so I think the batteries I got were at fault and either overloaded the internal charging circuit or something. Sure, it could have been something on my installation, but I play electronics a bit and am not the worst guy you've seen with a soldering iron. If it were user error, I wouldn't have expected that much failure so quickly. . .

If I tried something again, I think I would prefer external battery, which would imply making a new case or using a traditional AV Bay, which defeats the whole beauty of the 808, where a bit of blue tape and thoughtful placement got amazing quality videos on lots of rockets back in the day.

Sandy.

One thing your comments made me think of is recharge rate -- The other place the mah and C-rating are a factor is in the safe rate of charging. it is possible if you bought cameras with a lower C-rating or lower mah that the board might try to charge them too quickly and burn them out (possibly literally).

Anyone know where to find? It's a small 1S LiPo, 200 mah. There are plenty of 1S LiPos for sale on eBay but all appear to be much larger.
Thanks, Bill
View attachment 499647
Thanks, Bill
View attachment 499647
here is a pic of one of my batteries I got from MOBIUS back in 2018.
https://www.amazon.com/EEMB-Battery-Rechargeable-Lithium-Connector/dp/B08FD3V6TF?th=1
good luck

Attachments

• DSC_02912.JPG
    DSC_02912.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 8

Sandy.
Same here I got into the 808 # 16 +10 years ago. Now too many counterfeit 808#16 and Mobius is gone?
I moved up to the RunCam 4K

Back