808 Cameras are HOW MUCH?!?!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebruce1361

The man with the plan. And some duct tape.
Reaction score
I just hopped on Amazon to see about adding to my arsenal of onboard cameras and darn near fainted. I have two 808 Keychain cameras already; one is the #18 variant with the 120 degree wide angle lens, and the other is a cheap knockoff with no variant number and much lower quality picture and audio (hence why I'm looking to get additions/replacements). The #18 camera I have was bought about two years ago for about $30. This same camera is on Amazon today for $159!! And I know it's the same version I ordered because I followed the link through my previously purchased items.

Anybody know what gives? The price has jumped more than fivefold, and with no changes to the product as far as I can tell. All the other competitor cameras of different styles don't seem to be thusly affected, so it seems the rest of the mini DVR camera industry isn't going similarly insane.

Update:
Here is a link to the camera I mentioned above for $159. Additionally, it seems that I was somewhat mistaken, and that all the 808 style cameras have jumped in price. Even the knockoff not-wide-angle version is now $90 when mine was an exorbitant $8 plus shipping. Others seem to be in the $139 range. Still, competitor models like the thumb-drive style cameras and other imitation automobile key fob cameras are sensibly priced under $100, and many under $50. I don't get it. Is it the Christmas season? Are they expecting a sudden surge in business and want to capitalize on it?

The nice thing about the 808 camera is that it is dirt cheap. If you lose or crash your rocket, you are not out that much money.
Thats If you can find one, and if it's a genuine 808, they are at least $50 but the quality of the recording is just junk and even worse on the clone 808's.
The runcams are actually pretty robust. We used to use them on fpv quads or planes and majority of the time after a crash, we would only have to replace the lens which is like $10.

Years ago I employed two 808's on my 4x OT. I put one on the booster looking back and one on the OT glider looker forward. Worked like a charm and was a lot of fun. It might be time to try this again. There are some You-Tube videos of this lying around somewhere.

Sounds like Amazon's auto supply-based pricing. You get some wacky asking prices on there on specific items.

808 is such an outdated camera.
Perhaps, but I've got camera shrouds that fit them and the quality of the 720p 808 #16 is pretty good. ebay is a better source than amazon. Not familiar with the 1080p versions. Mobius is another type that's popular.

Perhaps, but I've got camera shrouds that fit them and the quality of the 720p 808 #16 is pretty good. ebay is a better source than amazon. Not familiar with the 1080p versions. Mobius is another type that's popular.
I've had several of the #16's. They have a flat bottom and you an just glue them to a fin. I used to get them from China from Bright Tea for around $70, but they have vanished. Crap.

Jim

GOOD LORD!!! 808 is such an outdated camera. look into a runcam 2. $100 and does 4K@30fps/2.7K@60fps/2.7K@30fps/1080P@120fps/1080P@60fps and only weights 49g.

I remember looking at the Runcams about a year or so ago. I'm still a bit new to rocket videography, so I got the 808s intentionally due to their affordability and ease of use for beginners. I might just try to score a used Runcam on ebay and if I like it, I'll probably get an additional one.

Get the Estes Astrocam #5325; it's only available as a starter set ($79.99 with launch pad and controller) and the rocket is mediocre (flimsy tube, plastic fin assembly, and mine rolled violently), but it flies pretty high on a C6-5 and the tiny HD DVR camera takes great movies with internal battery (charges and transfers data through on-board USB port, like a thumb drive) and memory, and the unique nosecone that supports it is superb! You can always ditch or give away the launcher and rocket and just keep the camera/nosecone.

I have these three in my rocket drawer. The one on the left has a port for a microSD card, the others have internal memory.
If these are what you're looking for, make me an offer.
IMG_1663.JPG

Last edited:
I just hopped on Amazon to see about adding to my arsenal of onboard cameras and darn near fainted. I have two 808 Keychain cameras already; one is the #18 variant with the 120 degree wide angle lens, and the other is a cheap knockoff with no variant number and much lower quality picture and audio (hence why I'm looking to get additions/replacements). The #18 camera I have was bought about two years ago for about $30. This same camera is on Amazon today for $159!! And I know it's the same version I ordered because I followed the link through my previously purchased items.

Anybody know what gives? The price has jumped more than fivefold, and with no changes to the product as far as I can tell. All the other competitor cameras of different styles don't seem to be thusly affected, so it seems the rest of the mini DVR camera industry isn't going similarly insane.

Mobius camera are within the $60-$80 range, plus you could buy a shroud for them. I have a Mobius Mini with an Additive Aerospace shroud. The camera only weights 25 grams.

If you want something lighter, look at the Runcam Split 4. Same recording specs, 10.5g weight, $75 but you will have to power it with your own battery somehow. Only downside is you don't get the preview feature that the runcam 2 has from your phone.

I'm using a Runcam Split in a camera shroud in the nosecone of my zephyr kit, it's definitely a bit involved getting it set up compared to the standard Runcam specifically since you can't directly power it from a lipo or it'll burn up.

Although I do have the added benefit of live video.

I'm using a Runcam Split in a camera shroud in the nosecone of my zephyr kit, it's definitely a bit involved getting it set up compared to the standard Runcam specifically since you can't directly power it from a lipo or it'll burn up.

Although I do have the added benefit of live video.

What type of power source is required for the split, and how much weight is the entire system?
Thx.

Back