• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8"x8"x0.5" 6061-T6 Aluminum Plate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Hey all,
Trying to find a sheet of aluminum for a thrust plate. 8x8 is the min dimension i need, if you have something slightly bigger that will work as well.

Let me know.

Thanks!

This might work, if you can't find a better offer. $22.90, -0 to +1/8 inch length and width tolerance, possibly better. (tolerance from custom cut)
Or this. $17.62, -0 to +1/8 inch tolerance.

I have to imagine you should be able to find a metal supplier locally that can sell you a piece from a drop. they should even cut it to size for you. google metal suppliers in your area.

Metal Supermarkets Raleigh.

(919) 446-4445

1826 Garner Station Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27603

Call them and tell them what you are looking for. I've dealt with metal supermarkets locally and they do a good job.

1/2" is way too thick. I used 1/8" for my WAC corporal and bolted that to a 1/2" Plywood plate. Worked fine. You are adding unnecessary weight to the rear end. I also attached my Aeropack flanged retainer to this 1/8" plate.

So I should go with 1/8? And have a 1/16" flange around the outside?

In general metal thrust plates really are not necessary. They're just the new cool thing.
A plywood centering ring, using a good quality epoxy with good fillets will do everything a metal thrust plate will do. If it's not in a minimum diameter rocket having it pressed up against the fin tabs gives it even more rigidity.

I get that it's not entirely necessary, but I think it looks better. Also, it will be easier to attach the aeropac.

Finally, I have an idea for a stand that essentially screws into some holes in the thrust ring. :)

That's still the plan. :) I'm now down to paint job, thrust plate, and wiring.

Back