8" V2 Build Series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kilz (the original oil based stuff) is great primer. Goes on thick, doesn't drip and dries in about 15 minutes. Wet sand it smooth and you can start shooting the color coats in no time.

The interior stuff (red can) works great, but if you can find the interior/exterior (black can) it sticks to fiberglass better.

What type of paint did you use?
Just the good ol Rustoleum 2X stuff at Walmart.

Looking good! Glad to see a suspiciously large Der Red Max is still in the mix back there.
Yessir! I've even got a motor for it. That'll be a fall flight unless I make a summer rocket trip, but my hands are pretty tied through Airfest.

Braden

Looks great!! Im a sucker for that yellow. I assume you are finishing it off with some black? This thread is inspiring me to refinish the paint on my 6"V2

Too late!

Somewhat inspired by David Chance's HoJo named "Buttercup," I rather like the flamboyant paint schemes on models of weapons of war.

It came out pretty decent, but I can't help but feel something is missing. I'm considering pinstriping the lines with black vinyl or maybe making the tip of the nose chrome. Not sure yet.
photo_2022-05-05_20-06-28.jpgphoto_2022-05-05_20-58-24.jpgphoto_2022-05-05_20-58-25.jpg

Braden

Here it is all stacked up.

Now on to masking for color #2 when this rain and wind decides to relax. After that, it's just some shear pins and recovery gear and it's ready to roll.

Braden

View attachment 516904
Are you still spraying them vertically? The video you posted with your buddies rocket, you had runs because of the vertical spray pattern. I commented that if you put the rocket horizontally on a dowel rod clamped to a sawhorse then your spray pattern doesn't build up as you go from one end to the other without stopping. Just as if a robot was spraying it, consistent speed and distance from the rocket.

Awesome
Very clean nice job
Almost time to slap a motor in there and let her
Roar….

Too late!

Somewhat inspired by David Chance's HoJo named "Buttercup," I rather like the flamboyant paint schemes on models of weapons of war.

It came out pretty decent, but I can't help but feel something is missing. I'm considering pinstriping the lines with black vinyl or maybe making the tip of the nose chrome. Not sure yet.
View attachment 517267View attachment 517268View attachment 517269

Braden

Are you still spraying them vertically? The video you posted with your buddies rocket, you had runs because of the vertical spray pattern. I commented that if you put the rocket horizontally on a dowel rod clamped to a sawhorse then your spray pattern doesn't build up as you go from one end to the other without stopping. Just as if a robot was spraying it, consistent speed and distance from the rocket.
Because this rocket was masked assemled to ensure all the lines meet up nicely that wasn't really an option.

Braden

Too late!

View attachment 517267View attachment 517268View attachment 517269

Braden
Seek help. Perhaps start here: EnChroma Color Blindness Correcting Glasses.

Here's some final touches and ground testing!

The 6g charge worked out to around 8 PSI based on the rocketry calculator. It was pretty aggressive even with the nosecone weighing in around 20lbs with the recovery gear up there.

Braden

I am surprised you need a 6 gram charge. I have a 12" V 2, the nose has 25lbs of lead and I blow it off with 2.5 grams.
That's insane! How do you pack your charges?

Clearly 6G may be a bit spicy for this setup, but I've got the shock cord to back it up and I'm always a little paranoid about horizontal velocity when it comes to deployment. Especially with a heavy nosecone. So I'm going to let er rip as is.

Braden

We have liftoff! The V2, which I've now dubbed "Schnukiputzi" (German translation is "sweetie pie") climbed to 8,400 feet on a CTI M1675 Pink. Definitely one of my new favorite motors!
Here's the video that also includes my 3" Punisher flying to 12,300 feet on a K1275R and a handful of other flights from this past weekend.

Braden

We have liftoff! The V2, which I've now dubbed "Schnukiputzi" (German translation is "sweetie pie") climbed to 8,400 feet on a CTI M1675 Pink. Definitely one of my new favorite motors!
Here's the video that also includes my 3" Punisher flying to 12,300 feet on a K1275R and a handful of other flights from this past weekend.

Braden

Nice!

How did the fin can hold up? For the record, I did not watch the entire video, so if it is covered there, I apologize in advance. :)

Nice!

How did the fin can hold up? For the record, I did not watch the entire video, so if it is covered there, I apologize in advance. :)
I didn't cover it so no worries! It took it pretty well on the landing, it came in pretty slow and landed in a fairly soft spot. There's a small crack at the base of one of the fillets but the fin is still attached firmly, so I'm thinking it may just be in the filler I used to cover the carbon.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly it again in its current condition!

Braden

I didn't cover it so no worries! It took it pretty well on the landing, it came in pretty slow and landed in a fairly soft spot. There's a small crack at the base of one of the fillets but the fin is still attached firmly, so I'm thinking it may just be in the filler I used to cover the carbon.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly it again in its current condition!

Braden
I watched your video and that flame was sweet. Nice flight. Way to miss the barb wire as well! Whew.....

Devin

Somehow I didn't keep this thread updated, but the V2 got to fly a couple more times before 2022 ended!
It flew on a six-grain 98mm research Black Diamond motor made by the always lovely John Clifton at Airfest:

And on an Aerotech M2500 Blue Thunder at Midwest Power!

Braden

Back