8 inches V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
Well, it just takes too long...so I decided to do my own 8 inches V2, based on PR components, just as easy.. this build is somewhere between scratch-built and scale..so I post here...shall fly L or M hybrids...

I have imported following Proline items: 2x 8 inches nose cones and a piece of 20 inches G12... believe or not, all together (with shopped tailcone) just fit perfect in the proportions of the real missile, just cut one nose cone to a scale tail cone....second, replicate the scale fin design to the appropriate measurement of tubing and cone...will be cut in plywood with foam and carbon/FG sandwich for light and strong ass...we know the challenge of CG/CP of the V2...

IMG_2041_k1.jpgIMG_2041_k2.jpgIMG_2041_k3.jpg

IMG_2070_k.jpgIMG_2071_k.jpg

To be finished Mid January...

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice build your starting. Pro Line must be building a very nice kit. I think they have a price of $499 listed on their site.
GP

Having seen the Mad Scientist's workshop, I am really looking forward to following this one!

Cheers,
Michael

Michael,

YOU can say that, in fact you were my very welcome guest in Munich..happy to see you again soon on this side of the atlantic. Pretty sure we will finish this beauty together (or another one on the bench at this point) ;-) ..By the way, any US rocketeer on visit is very welcome to share a beer with the mad scientist *lol*...

I have to tell you guys, it really was a great experience to meet this gentleman. He doesn't do anything half-way, the hospitality was wonderful...and yes, the beer in Munich is ultimate!

I once saw the guys from Tripoli Oklahoma launch a V2 where they used a P38 fuel tank as the mold. I would be equally excited to see this one fly with the hybrid treatment!

Cheers,
Michael

Simple post: Subscribed!

Ps. I can't get the dimensions from the Email file you sent.

Rock On Bavarian Style!!

Last edited:
Well, it just takes too long...so I decided to do my own 8 inches V2, based on PR components, just as easy.. this build is somewhere between scratch-built and scale..so I post here...shall fly L or M hybrids...

I have organised 2x 8 inches nose cones and a piece of 20 inches G12... believe or not, all together just fit perfect in the proportions of the real missile, just cut one nose cone to a scale tail cone....second, replicate the scale fin design to the appropriate measurement of tubing and cone...will be cut in plywood with foam and carbon/FG sandwich for light and strong ass...we know the challenge of CG/CP of the V2...

View attachment 108695View attachment 108696

Yes any weight you can remove from the tail end of the rocket will result in less weight added to the nose. The hybrid tank will help move the CG forward and anything you can move to the nose cone would help too. I know there is not much room in a V-2 but anything you can do to keep your recovery equipment as far forward as possible will help too.

The first real difficult point was the fin design to scale. In fact I had the chopped nose cone as tail cone. I have a MM (to be glassed soon). SO clearly I had to make a plan backward so my fins follow the scale and fits to assembly...get the curve is the exercise... so I first applied double-tape along the tailcone, and I used it to fix sanding paper (80). k_2.jpgk_3.jpgk_5.jpg

now using a simple piece of foam I got the curve quickly shaped.
k_6.jpgk_8.jpg

I could finish the plan using now the real curve of the PR (nose) tail cone and fit with the real scale dimensions of the original fins. Now I know the depth of my fins to my MM, the curve of the tail cone and the design of the fins. I decided to use 0.48" birch plywood. The center of the fins will be cut out and replace by foam, typically I save 1/3 of weight (did that many times!), then sandwiched with CF and FG in vacuum.
k_9.jpgk_16.jpgk_17.jpg

I decided to cut all that tomorrow..it is 22:42 pm and if I start the bandsaw now my boss will get very very mad at me....

I was waiting for the kit to come out, and thinking hybrid as well! You've certainly got my attention!

Gerald

This is one I've thought of. I may be offering some scale Byrdzz in the coming year.
Sorry to hack the Build Thread Denis.

I love V2s so this build thread will be followed. Thanks for sharing.

did the wood work this morning before getting a warning from Santa Claus...stop rocketry now..Xmas break :-(IMG_2077_k.jpg

Merry Xmas to all @ TRF!!!

Awesome!

Any idea how tall the finished product will be?
Hot Rockets back in the 90's had an 9" dia. V2 that was around 7ft tall.

JD

I have imported following Proline items: 2x 8 inches nose cones and a piece of 20 inches G12... believe or not, all together (with chopped tailcone) just fit perfect in the proportions of the real missile, just cut one nose cone to a scale tail cone....second, replicate the scale fin design to the appropriate measurement of tubing and cone...will be cut in plywood with foam and carbon/FG sandwich for light and strong ass...we know the challenge of CG/CP of the V2...

View attachment 108762View attachment 108763View attachment 108764

View attachment 108695View attachment 108696

shall be 5 feet 9 inches length with 8 inches diameter , following historical scale..

Looking very good.

I'm holding out for the Proline V2... The site still says january.

I was just reminiscing :)

Oh man, that image of the V2 and the full scale D-Region Tomahawk on the Smokey Sam has forever been burned into my memory. The everclear loads however were a perfect match for those kits.

Last edited:
done the fins, saved nearly half kilo and glassed the motortube (1 yard bcause of hybridz). Thrust ring ready for 75mm aeropack ( 5mm aluminium cut to scale diameter)

image-3120517781.jpg

image-264692922.jpg

image-2419273754.jpg

slow progress as my boss, my kids and santa claus are guerrilla in my own house.

some progress tonite:

1) motor mount tube ready (strongly glassed cardboard 75mm 1 meter)

image-940133803.jpg

2) 2x centering rings cut and in place

image-1113908866.jpg

image-1070662039.jpg

Back